Question for those who have used low carbs for more than 5 years and have maintained their weigh

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
did you watch the videos I first gave you,?

I think it's something like 70-80% success rate for gut surgery,
a heck of a lot better than the average dieter with ~5% success rate with the diet industry. after 3-10 years they are normally back where they started.
anyone that stops their LCHF way of eating that is working for them and goes back to above their insulin resistance level of carbs, will put on weight. and why 'eat to your meter' is important.
the idea is to find your level, this link talks the general population
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm
Jack, you gave me a lot of references, but no,have not watched any videos apart from instructional ones on this site...usually find videos take some time....can you send them to me again perhaps, should have time this evening
Thanks, Hilary

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the 800 cal newcastle diet, that is currently doing a 5 yr funded trial
http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94
and a later lecture
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/events/public-lectures/item.php?roy-taylor-diabetes

cholesterol and lipids

ketogenic LCHF

Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes

cholesterol and lipids

ketogenic LCHF

Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb.

Thx @jack awesome.

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

cholesterol and lipids

ketogenic LCHF

Thank you so much Jack, you are a fund of knowledge!
PS I don't doubt that it works and I know the theory...I'm really trying to find out more about why the majority of us cannot maintain our weight loss, whatever method we use...it is those figures which are both worrying and not well understood, I think..

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thx @jack awesome.
Thank you so much Jack, you are a fund of knowledge!

the other one I got info from was
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/fructose-polly-unsat-inflamation.65772/
it seems that the body normally converts 3% of glucose to fructose through the polyol pathway , but with insulin resistance this can increase to 30% fructose...that's without any fructose in the diet at all and we know the fructose is badly metabolised by the liver

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
the other one I got info from was
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/fructose-polly-unsat-inflamation.65772/
it seems that the body normally converts 3% of glucose to fructose through the polyol pathway , but with insulin resistance this can increase to 30% fructose...that's without any fructose in the diet at all and we know the fructose is badly metabolised by the liver

@jack and @Fishtoo

I'm sure recalled this one about how bad fructose is in that a high portion of it is turned to fat in the liver and it doesn't produce an insulin response.

This video for University California TV is well with the hour plus especially if you like organic chemistry

Sugar: The Bitter Truth:

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jack and @Fishtoo

I'm sure recalled this one about how bad fructose is in that a high portion of it is turned to fat in the liver and it doesn't produce an insulin response.

This video for University California TV is well with the hour plus especially if you like organic chemistry

Sugar: The Bitter Truth:
Yes, here in NZ many foods are being labelled 'low in fructose', or 'no fructose'...and I've just eaten some grapes...tut tut tut...have strawberries in the fridge at the moment too! lol....I am quite hopeless at obeying rules....others are ofcourse extremely good at doing what they should

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yes, here in NZ many foods are being labelled 'low in fructose', or 'no fructose'...and I've just eaten some grapes...tut tut tut...have strawberries in the fridge at the moment too! lol....I am quite hopeless at obeying rules....others are ofcourse extremely good at doing what they should
Oh my goodness before my diagnoses of T1.5. I loved fruit it was what I ate mostly. I drank POM like water - I might have been drinking pure high fructose sugar. I loved grapes especially frozen ones and ate them every day. Also I ate these 5lb 3 berry mix from Costco at least a bag a week.

After I threw the PE I became depressed and gained a bunch of weight and stopped running and had an intestinal infection and then came down with diabetes - Found out later we had a history of it in our family but I would bet my fruit diet didn't help.

Anyway today I never eat fruit unless it was what I thought was a veggie in the old days - avocados cucumbers eggplant and occasionally raspberries.

I don't like following rules either but with this disease I am the best patient you could ever hope to hve

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Now I find myself disagreeing. The best way to lose weight is to eat less than you use.
I would have agreed with you a year ago. The many times over the last 25 years I was able to lose weight for a while I had to reduce my calories to less than 1800 a day to lose weight on a low fat high carb diet. Now, on a LCHF diet I am losing about a pound a week eating 2300 calories a day. I feel like an idiot for having been so skeptical about LCHF that I didn't try it. I only went on it to control my blood glucose. I wasn't even trying to lose weight, but I did, even though I was eating more calories.

Reactions: 8 people

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So glad you are a good patient now Runner...didn't know you had had a ?pulmonary embolus...was that from an injury? dehydration? I know someone who ran with us regularly for 2hrs every Saturday morning., along Peter Snells' hilily ttraining route ( I knew both lydiard and Peter.)...he got a backache, some silly doc told him to stop running so being a "good patient" he did stop...and 6 weeks later took his own life due to depression.
Long distance running ofcourse fills us with endorphins and withdrawal of that natural opiate can certainly resullt in depression....what exercise are you taking now?
I love tomatoes and eat them like fruits...probably on the restricted list too?....Plan to learn all about everything this evening....I eat a tremendous amount of vegetables from the garden, but most veges are carbohydrates ofcourse...not eating the "starches" much however so also limit carrots peas etc...but it would take some sign of ill health such as you have had to put me on the straight and narrow i think.....I don't myself go to doctors or get myself checked very often so am a "very bad patient" Tut Tut Tut.

Toulouse31

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
E
No, it tells you that it doesn't work!
xactly! Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" It is weight watchers that isn't working for you not the other way around Hilary!
I used to belong to Slimmng World for years after my babies (now 20 and 25) and always did the RED days (mostly protein and very low carb) never green days (carbs and limited protein and fat) as I gained weight on GREEN as did many but not all in the group. later on Slimming world allowed much more fruit and I gained weight again and did not get ,slimmer of the week, sticker anymore. I gave up the fruit.

The carbs calling to you from the fridge etc is so familar, I too have eaten an entire 8oz tub of cooking cherries, out of date pop corn, entire box of gluten free mince pies, etc when carb craving. I try to keep house empty of temptation but sooner or later would give in and hate myself for being weak. After the first 3 days LCHF I can look a GF garlic and corriander Naan in the eye and not want it. I always knew I should be low carb but also tried to be low fat according to the (now rapidly being proved incorrect) health guidlines but I could never keep it up long term before landing here and being given 'permission' to have good hearth healthy fats. The difference to cravings, as far as I can see, is that the fat makes the difference. I use virgin olive oil, cocnut oil and some butter without guilt and now find the diet very easy. I'm on first 8 weeks of Diane Kress's Diabetes Miracle diet. (she is a registered dietitian T2)
There was also a post today on here (will go and find it) of more research from Ohio on high fat low carb diets compared to high carb.

My fasting BG down from 6.67mmol to 4.9 - 5.2 in just 4 weeks.

Run a whole bunch of trig, choleresteral, CRP etc on yourself and monitor, monitor monitor your BG levels accoring to the advise here.. You are in a unique position to be your own guinee pig and report your findings according to your training.

My father-in-law (retired NHS surgeon) have me very good advise when I was trying to convince GP something wrong with tiny, gastric daughter who wasn't growing. He told me to chart her weight/height/diet over time. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-targeted (SMART ) goals. I was too close to the problem to think about applying my professional management training to a personal issue.
Once the pediatric Gastroenterologist could see that she was below the 3rd centile (50th at birth) they finally diagnosed by biopsy (she was sero negative) coeliac. Sorry for the long post but I can so see where you are coming from.

Long and short is what you are doing isn't acheiving the results you require so do something else!

Toulouse31

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed! Another reason why I am here.....I gather that the best and only certain way to loose and maintain weight loss....for the majority, is by surgical banding or suchlike...and that the long term success rate on ALL diets and eating plans is low if analysed statistically...a life style change is apparently easier to maintain over the years than only changing what one puts in ones mouth...thousands of different books on diets say a lot too!

Surgical banding does not change carb craving, or behaviour, (I have a cousin who lost 6stone then gained it back) it is very easy to liquidise a Mars bar.:D

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
E

xactly! Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" It is weight watchers that isn't working for you not the other way around Hilary!
I used to belong to Slimmng World for years after my babies (now 20 and 25) and always did the RED days (mostly protein and very low carb) never green days (carbs and limited protein and fat) as I gained weight on GREEN as did many but not all in the group. later on Slimming world allowed much more fruit and I gained weight again and did not get ,slimmer of the week, sticker anymore. I gave up the fruit.

The carbs calling to you from the fridge etc is so familar, I too have eaten an entire 8oz tub of cooking cherries, out of date pop corn, entire box of gluten free mince pies, etc when carb craving. I try to keep house empty of temptation but sooner or later would give in and hate myself for being weak. After the first 3 days LCHF I can look a GF garlic and corriander Naan in the eye and not want it. I always knew I should be low carb but also tried to be low fat according to the (now rapidly being proved incorrect) health guidlines but I could never keep it up long term before landing here and being given 'permission' to have good hearth healthy fats. The difference to cravings, as far as I can see, is that the fat makes the difference. I use virgin olive oil, cocnut oil and some butter without guilt and now find the diet very easy. I'm on first 8 weeks of Diane Kress's Diabetes Miracle diet. (she is a registered dietitian T2)
There was also a post today on here (will go and find it) of more research from Ohio on high fat low carb diets compared to high carb.

My fasting BG down from 6.67mmol to 4.9 - 5.2 in just 4 weeks.

Run a whole bunch of trig, choleresteral, CRP etc on yourself and monitor, monitor monitor your BG levels accoring to the advise here.. You are in a unique position to be your own guinee pig and report your findings according to your training.

My father-in-law (retired NHS surgeon) have me very good advise when I was trying to convince GP something wrong with tiny, gastric daughter who wasn't growing. He told me to chart her weight/height/diet over time. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-targeted (SMART ) goals. I was too close to the problem to think about applying my professional management training to a personal issue.
Once the pediatric Gastroenterologist could see that she was below the 3rd centile (50th at birth) they finally diagnosed by biopsy (she was sero negative) coeliac. Sorry for the long post but I can so see where you are coming from.

Long and short is what you are doing isn't achieving the results you require so do something else!

Thank you so much Toulouse for that really helpful reply....I'm busy researching as much as I can about starting LCHF, especially now i know I can eat a reasonable amount of suitable veges,
Whatever similar plan I was following before many years ago ( ? Atkins) seemed to be strict on veges too, and probably too low in carbs during the initial phase for my body to cope with the fast and intensiive interval training that I was doing, ...fat energy souces usually being used in long slow distance, not speed....

I am fortunate that my HBA1c ....that I did because I developed some peripheral neuropathy a few months ago...is high normal at 40 and I have at least 8-10 Kg to loose, ( BMI 27 ) and that should correct the insulin resistance for the time being hopefully
I also am a Coeiac and LCHF will be fine for that...how is your daughter coping with a GF diet? In her 20's now? My son is also coeliac age 50 now....but I didn't diagnose myself until I was 56....and then it was obvious that he was too...

Went and bought a glucometer soon after my big toes began to feel abnormal, and as I was a lolly eater, got some high readings, but fine now I have sugar under control., and stopped all starches....but replacing lollies by nuts and seeds has scuppered the weight loss....must do another A1c soon. Lipids OK as on Simvastatin ( another possible cause of diabetes,) because of 2 clotting factors and family history of stroke...life gets quite interesting as one ages!
Must to bed...midnight here in NZ
Thank you so much for sharing...detailed account like yours are so helpful in motivation,

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I have been encouraged by 2 diabetic nurses to consider Gastric banding. Both times I thought it was irresponsible. I am very overweight, but.....I believe that if I asked for the surgery i would probably be declined as I am not overweight enough. I could be wrong. However I would not consider it due to the fact that I would like to still be able to eat a decent sized meal, at least once in a while, say when out with friends. I use will power and LCHF now. Also I have probably been doing weight watchers on and off since I was 10, now 35. I think in part I didn't really need to be doing that then (thanks Mum) but also all the sugar free and weight watchers cakes etc that I was eating probably did me more damage than good. Maybe it contributed to an early diabetes diagnosis, although with both Grandads having had it I think I was predisposed to get it. Just wish it hadn't been this early.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
...and what sort of doctor am I? very old and very dim!

I would like to ask, because this is a posting about long term low carbers.... From your doctor's view...

Why has nobody in 30+ years of being a type 1 without complications and always, as said by GP's and consultants "lean and mean" (size 10)... Why has no health official in any capacity asked me how I have kept like this?

Why does no one in the NHS ever take note of what good controlled diabetics, good weight, etc do to look after themselves?

Yes, I am a very long term lower carber... But get sick to death of NHS. Consultants and GP's and researchers never listening to the healthy ones as to our life styles because they are too **** busy imposing their unhealthy diets and views on the population...

Rant over, but why, just why can't the NHS LISTEN???

Reactions: 11 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to ask, because this is a posting about long term low carbers.... From your doctor's view...

Why has nobody in 30+ years of being a type 1 without complications and always, as said by GP's and consultants "lean and mean" (size 10)... Why has no health official in any capacity asked me how I have kept like this?

Why does no one in the NHS ever take note of what good controlled diabetics, good weight, etc do to look after themselves?

Yes, I am a very long term lower carber... But get sick to death of NHS. Consultants and GP's and researchers never listening to the healthy ones as to our life styles because they are too **** busy imposing their unhealthy diets and views on the population...

Rant over, but why, just why can't the NHS LISTEN???
Exactly. Now I am type 2 but with perfectly normal HbA1c and my DSN says I am not diabetic. In her world you can't have a normal HbA1c if you have diabetes. She finds my good control problematic. I find her attitude so.

Reactions: 7 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Exactly. Now I am type 2 but with perfectly normal HbA1c and my DSN says I am not diabetic. In her world you can't have a normal HbA1c if you have diabetes. She finds my good control problematic. I find her attitude so.
Same here in the States. My GP was going to stop my script for insulin and test strips because of my consistently low A1c.

I had to do a home made glucose tolerance test ( 3 hours testing every 15 minutes ) to prove I was a diabetic.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Same here in the States. My GP was going to stop my script for insulin and test strips because of my consistently low A1c.

I had to do a home made glucose tolerance test ( 3 hours testing every 15 minutes ) to prove I was a diabetic.

Omg... Total ignorance!!!! Disgraceful...