Newbie / Newly Diagnosed

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi See Mike mentioned the Avocardo, yep thats at least 2 a week for me at lunchtimes mainly. Never had zucchini like to know what it is.

Neil
Zucchini is a courgette ..

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, you're right there-it isnt them that has to go through the day to day, with all the obstacles.

I have oats now, but used to have swiss muesli, as that was alwys deemed 'healthy' - I was shocked at the sugar content, after diagnosis the supermarket becomes a different shopping experience doesnt it!

My levels are coming down, and I now have a meter to check whats what, its fab - it could be easy to become obsessed with using and testing, altho the medical centre said that I neednt check every day. Some days ill feel ive been well behaved and the reading wont be as low as Id hoped, that gets me down a bit. I think deep down Im hoping for a revelation, but im only into my second month.

Just out of interest what do you folk eat through the day to feel full,yet keep your levels in a good place?
Don't get worried about your test readings .. If you seem to jump high for no reasion it maybe a faulty test strip, or something on your testing finger, so retest .. If eating the LCHF diet (I have around 30g of carbs a day . And sugar is still rising then get back to the Dr for them to look at your DB's status

Reactions: 2 people

fergie99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought id say hello as Ive been reading the forum with interest & there are some great/helpful/caring people on here.

I was diagnosed just over a month ago & still finding my feet, its trial & error on occasion although my diet is good (always has been although the treats have been quashed for the time being until I can work myself out a bit more) with lots of greens, veg, the right types of fruit/berries etc.. no more muesli, oats instead. The elimination of sugar has been strange, but the mental clarity now due to sleeping undisturbed all night is fantastic. Its made me wonder how much the sugar has been blurring me, even through the day - its like living in another world, there's those that can buy & eat everything in the supermarket, and there's me(us/who now studies everything before I buy it!)

My blood sugar was quite high on diagnosis, accidental really during a bloke check up at the doc's - its come down lots since the metformin use, and stricter diet. Ive never been overweight, but this doesnt always matter Im told - it can just happen through my genetics. A bit frustrating but no point stewing on it, best to tackle head on I think.

Onwards & forwards, best regards :)
Hello i am Neil i was diagnosed eight weeks ago with type1 diabetes

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
and went on to insulin straight away. I am finding it hard to keep a normal BG level it varies between 2.9 and as high as 29.

Hi Fergie, welcome to you, I'm not up on these forum's but it appears you've turned up in the middle of a thread, no problem as I am sure someone will pick it up and try to help you with the information you need. I am Type 2 so would have some difficulty giving you the advice you need.

You have definitely come to the right place here, stay calm and don't panic.

Neil

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Fergie, welcome to you, I'm not up on these forum's but it appears you've turned up in the middle of a thread, no problem as I am sure someone will pick it up and try to help you with the information you need. I am Type 2 so would have some difficulty giving you the advice you need.

You have definitely come to the right place here, stay calm and don't panic.

Neil

Hi Fergie, It doesn't appear that anyone has picked you up, normally daisy would come along and give you lots of information as a newby,

Think you need to start again, go to forums & introduction and start a new thread I think it's because you came in between another conversation you have been missed.

Neil

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Well there you go, I eat lots of courgettes........did not know that.... Thank you,

Yep, they're REALLY good for you and a fantastic addition to a stir fry ... wonder why you guys have a different name for them ??

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, they're REALLY good for you and a fantastic addition to a stir fry ... wonder why you guys have a different name for them ??
zucchini |zʊˈkiːni| noun (pl.same or zucchinis) N. Amer. a courgette.ORIGIN Italian, plural of zucchino, diminutive of zucca ‘gourd’.
in the UK they are called courgette

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sure we've got the correct name, havn't a clue where Zucchini comes from.....;)

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
zucchini |zʊˈkiːni| noun (pl.same or zucchinis) N. Amer. a courgette.ORIGIN Italian, plural of zucchino, diminutive of zucca ‘gourd’.
in the UK they are called courgette
Oooops I do now....

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the in depth replies everyone, some really good reading & tips there!

The bread thing is a hard one, some has a really low sugar percentage but I am aware that its the carb element that plays havoc. Ive had brown pasta, and brown rice - which seems to be ok for me, what are your thoughts on the slow release carbs?

Im cool with ryvita, always like those - dipping in humous or cottage cheese is really nice & as far as i know not frowned upon by medical folk.

I still enjoy meats etc.. and Im glad that a lot of the meals I enjoyed pre are still 'ok' for me - so it doesnt feel like too many sacrifices.

I need to work out how to incorporate avacado's into my meals though, they're a funny thing arent they! albeit so good for everyone.

* good one Enclave, Ive found that about certain test strips - different readings at the same time from different fingers, just adds to the confusion!

Welcome Neil!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
If you really miss bread try sainsburys hi-low it doesn't spike me eaten a slice at a meal:

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
image.jpg
To the forum you have come to the right place for good advice and support.