ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
yesterday i saw an advert on tv from diabetes uk for a free pedometer and information
i text them and got a call on my mobile today
all went ok until the lady said, to get rid of type2 is to go on a liquid diet as she said type 2,s are all overweight
and to get the information, to give my bank details to give £15 a month
just want to warn other members about this

Reactions: 4 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Ally,
The web page about it says that they use a telemarketing agency for the follow up calls and I suspect that someone is using tactics that would hopefully not be approved.
They write about the pedometer campaign here and they do say that they ask people to set up a direct debit for donation .
However they also say
This is not a prerequisite to receive a guide and pedometer – everyone who requests one that we are able to speak to will receive these items, whether they set up a regular gift or not
I'm not too happy about using this sort of method to raise awareness and funds but you should receive your pedometer without any payment.
If this is what was said to you on the phone then you must contact Diabetes UK about it. It's not right and shouldn't happen.
Contact them directly. by phone or email They say that all calls to the telemarketeers are are monitored so if you can give the time and details of the phone call then I would hope that they can stop this individual's pushy tactics and 'advice' on treatment.
Try this http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/Contact_us/

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
yesterday i saw an advert on tv from diabetes uk for a free pedometer and information
i text them and got a call on my mobile today
all went ok until the lady said, to get rid of type2 is to go on a liquid diet as she said type 2,s are all overweight
and to get the information, to give my bank details to give £15 a month
just want to warn other members about this

Oh, that's not right.

Diabetes UK have a voluntary membership, it can be a couple of quid a year, with no bank details required if I read it correctly, so this sounds like a scam from a third party unfortunately.

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i wanted to warn members here, in case they text the number on the advert
thankfully, i put the phone down before i gave my bank details

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@ally1
Just to clarify, I meant it;s not right for diabetes UK, not what you said wasn't right, it's a completely disgusting scam, for a very good charity, and Diabetes UK need to be told it's happening.
It you have the number you texted, if you pm it to me, I'll happily follow it up with them.

Reactions: 2 people
C

chris lowe

And beware if you do sign up for a regular donation. I signed up to give £10 a month to Cats Protection League and RSPA and I'm forever getting junk mail from vairous charities. Got 4 today