Seeking advice on coping with a journey abroad

TariqZiyad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, seeking some advice, dunno if you have this problem but since I was diagnosed back in 2011 and prescribed my meds, I've had constant gastro trouble, I'm now facing the prospect of a 2-3 week journey abroad which involves a 7 hour flight plus 2 hours to my destination, I've barely left my house in the last 3-4 years and I'm dreading this journey, would appreciate any advice from a diabetic (Type 2) perspective on how to make this as easy and painless as possible, thanks in advance

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, seeking some advice, dunno if you have this problem but since I was diagnosed back in 2011 and prescribed my meds, I've had constant gastro trouble, I'm now facing the prospect of a 2-3 week journey abroad which involves a 7 hour flight plus 2 hours to my destination, I've barely left my house in the last 3-4 years and I'm dreading this journey, would appreciate any advice from a diabetic (Type 2) perspective on how to make this as easy and painless as possible, thanks in advance

Hi, See you have just messaged on the intro. I'm fairly new here but there are lot of members that I'm sure will be able to answer your questions.

You havn't mentioned what meds you are on or how you are controlling you diabetes since being diagnosed. Your meds could be some of the problem..

Are you testing with a meter your BS.

TariqZiyad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, See you have just messaged on the intro. I'm fairly new here but there are lot of members that I'm sure will be able to answer your questions.

You havn't mentioned what meds you are on or how you are controlling you diabetes since being diagnosed. Your meds could be some of the problem..

Are you testing with a meter your BS.
Thanks for getting back to me, I am on 4 Metformin (slow release) a day, 1 Trajenta and 2 10mcg injections of exenatide, diet is getting better but probably still taking in a bit too much carbs if I'm really honest

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect that 1. you are on metformin and 2. you are not in the UK.

If I am right on these two points then it may be a bit more difficult to give you some suggestions.

Metformin comes in two types - immediate release and slow release. The slow release or SR version is much kinder on the stomach, but is more expensive.

Although I don't have coeliacs, I can't eat wheat and take metformin, so this could be something to think about altering in your diet.

As for the travel, I suggest getting an aisle seat near the toilet so you don't have the worry of getting there. I have heard of people taking immodium to temporarily stop the bad stomach.

If wind is your problem, then cutting carbs will help with this.

Edit: I started my reply before you said you are on metformin.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't know about the other medication other than the Metformin, that can give severe diarrhea, which I suffered with for a short period at the beginning but has settled down now.

You haven't said whether you are testing your sugars, that I'm sure will give you a few surprises, which in turn may change your diet somewhat, which may help your digestion.

TariqZiyad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect that 1. you are on metformin and 2. you are not in the UK.

If I am right on these two points then it may be a bit more difficult to give you some suggestions.

Metformin comes in two types - immediate release and slow release. The slow release or SR version is much kinder on the stomach, but is more expensive.

Although I don't have coeliacs, I can't eat wheat and take metformin, so this could be something to think about altering in your diet.

As for the travel, I suggest getting an aisle seat near the toilet so you don't have the worry of getting there. I have heard of people taking immodium to temporarily stop the bad stomach.

If wind is your problem, then cutting carbs will help with this.

Edit: I started my reply before you said you are on metformin.
Many thanks, I appreciate the feedback

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diet, diet diet &, exercise. I've had friends that finally took my advice lost weight, ate the right food done simple exercise like walking for 30 minutes a day! The asked the doctor to take them off medication and eventually controlled by diet cut their cholesterol by half and got their hba1c below 6.0. I've never been on medication or need to check my BG and judging by some of the symptoms and problems people have on here don't intend to either.

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps I am not long back from an all inclusive holiday to Jamaica 9 hour flight ate sensibly and went for a walk or swim every day, came home checked my BG same as before I went.