Blood sugar and illness.

LizFrog

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have had impaired fasting glucose (diagnosed 3 months ago). My bloods range from 5 to 8 throughout the day. Today however, my blood sugar has been as low as 4.4. I know that 4.4 is within normal range but it is low for me. Could this be down to the fact that I am currently suffering from sinusitis as I have heard that illness can alter blood sugar.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, illness can alter blood sugar, but normally upwards rather than downwards. A couple of points come to mind. Firstly, did you re-test the 4.4? Our meters do throw out rogue readings. Mine does it frequently. Secondly, it may be that your efforts to keep your bs under control, or any loss of weight, may be beginning to kick in and if so you may see more 4's on fasting or pre-meal. (assuming you are making an effort with diet and exercise?) Thirdly, you don't say what the circumstances of the test were - was it pre-meal, fasting, post meal, or random and whether you had recently been exercising?

LizFrog

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply Bluetit. In answer to your questions, no, did not re-test immediately (the 4.4 result was at about 4pm, Lunch was at around 1pm). I did retest immediately before tea at around 7 and the result was 6.7 and I hadn't eaten anything since lunch other than a cup of tea at around 4:30. I also tested immediately after eating at 7pm and the result was 5:5!
I have been exercising, loosing weight, watching what I eat and have cut out any sugar from my diet. I hope you are right and my bloods are becoming more normal. My fasting bloods have been the problem, sometimes normal, sometimes not, varying between 5 and 6.3 (docs results were 7.1 and 6.8 three months ago though, so they seem a little better since the changes). Thanks again.

LizFrog

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just tested again, 1 hour after food and my bloods were 10.4! I did retest this time and got the same result! What's happening?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
it sounds like you are not testing at the right times.

You need to test immediately before you eat, then again 2 hours after your first bite. Look at the rise. If it is more than 2mmol/l there is something in that meal you need to either avoid or reduce the portions. (most likely bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, pastry or cereals)

You can also test at 1hr after starting your meal, as some of us do, but expect a spike at that time (like your 10.4). Everybody will spike about an hour after, including non-diabetics, so no need to panic. Non-diabetics will come back down again quickly, and before 2 hours. Diabetics may take a little longer, but still should ideally be no more than 2mmol higher than when you started.

Did you test at 2hrs after your meal and if so, what was it?

Reactions: 2 people

LizFrog

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, I see. Two hours after food my bloods were down to 7 thankfully so I think you are right and I tested at the wrong time and I did have mashed potato with my meal. Did have a panic though! So glad this forum exists as I didn't get much advice from my doctor, Other than to exercise, loose weight and cut out sugar. He did tell me to only eat rice once a week but didn't warn me about the other high carb foods such as bread, pasta etc.
Thanks again!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, I see. Two hours after food my bloods were down to 7 thankfully so I think you are right and I tested at the wrong time and I did have mashed potato with my meal. Did have a panic though! So glad this forum exists as I didn't get much advice from my doctor, Other than to exercise, loose weight and cut out sugar. He did tell me to only eat rice once a week but didn't warn me about the other high carb foods such as bread, pasta etc.
Thanks again!

Ah! The mashed potato is what gave you that spike at 1 hour. Mashed spuds (and jackets) are very quick release carbs. In other words they convert to glucose like lightening and are best avoided completely. If you wish, you could try a couple of small boiled ones, or a couple of roasted ones (in good fats or oils) as they won't spike quite so much or so quickly, but you need to test them just as you have with this meal (at 2 hours)

It is all trial and error, and takes time to get used to. It is a good idea to keep a food diary and record your levels alongside. Very soon a pattern will emerge and you will be able to adjust your carb portions to what suits your body. You are already improving and doing really well. So well done!

LizFrog

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I never would have thought that about mashed potatoes and I have a jacket potato and salad every day for lunch! I will take your advice and test right before and 2 hours after food. I haven't exercised today either as I'm feeling under the weather, I usually take the dog for at least a half hour walk and/or do half an hour on my exercise bike every day. Thank you so much for making things more clear and stopping me from panicking! :)

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep posting Liz and let us know how you are getting on, and don't forget to ask questions if you need to. Good luck.

LizFrog

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yaaay! Bloods 5.7 before food and 7.3 an hour and a half later! That's ok isn't it?