A thank you

silvergaz

In August 2013 I was told I had type 2 diabetes and at my first full diabetic review I had my HbA1c test and my Doctor told me that if it came back above 60/7.7 I would go on medication, under 60 I could try to control it through diet and exercise. My result was 62/7.8 and so he said" let's give it a year of diet and exercise to see if you can manage the condition"

The first place I went straight to was Diabetes.co.uk. Read all the type 2 pages, read all the diet and exercise information, sat in the background looking on the forums, reading all your posts . Three things became quite clear to me that I needed to do to manage my type 2 and keep the medication at arms length for as long as possible; Firstly, reduce the carbs, next was to self test to understand what foods impact on my system, lastly take lots of regular exercise to burn and reduce the calories.

Results; today I had my annual check up and got the results of my bloods. HbA1C....44/6.1!!!!!!! Doctor amazed, me, over the moon. When explaining how I approached controlling my diabetes, I explained how important I felt self testing had been in helping me to understand what different food group do to me, how to change change my diet, set my meal times and how exercise balances things. Then I was quite straight forward and asked if he would be willing to provide test strips on prescription for me, as I had funded this myself over the last year. Although he was not an advocate of self testing for type 2 patients, he was quite willing to give me a prescription as he could see that it had become part of regime to control my condition and had proven results.

So from me to you, a BIG thank you to diabetes.co.uk and all of members for your help and guidance.

Cheers

Gary

Reactions: 18 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I could 'like' this a hundred times.

Thank you for posting.

And CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Your hard work is soooo worth it. :D

Reactions: 2 people

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
In August 2013 I was told I had type 2 diabetes and at my first full diabetic review I had my HbA1c test and my Doctor told me that if it came back above 60/7.7 I would go on medication, under 60 I could try to control it through diet and exercise. My result was 62/7.8 and so he said" let's give it a year of diet and exercise to see if you can manage the condition"

The first place I went straight to was Diabetes.co.uk. Read all the type 2 pages, read all the diet and exercise information, sat in the background looking on the forums, reading all your posts . Three things became quite clear to me that I needed to do to manage my type 2 and keep the medication at arms length for as long as possible; Firstly, reduce the carbs, next was to self test to understand what foods impact on my system, lastly take lots of regular exercise to burn and reduce the calories.

Results; today I had my annual check up and got the results of my bloods. HbA1C....44/6.1!!!!!!! Doctor amazed, me, over the moon. When explaining how I approached controlling my diabetes, I explained how important I felt self testing had been in helping me to understand what different food group do to me, how to change change my diet, set my meal times and how exercise balances things. Then I was quite straight forward and asked if he would be willing to provide test strips on prescription for me, as I had funded this myself over the last year. Although he was not an advocate of self testing for type 2 patients, he was quite willing to give me a prescription as he could see that it had become part of regime to control my condition and had proven results.

So from me to you, a BIG thank you to diabetes.co.uk and all of members for your help and guidance.

Cheers

Gary
Nice one Gary. I am only 5 weeks into my journey and my hope is I can emulate you. I have got the numbers down,already doing what you have done. WELL DONE!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great result Gary, well done :)

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Congratulations i am so pleased for you.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What an inspiring story! Well done indeed. All that hard work has paid off handsomely. Brilliant and thanks for sharing.

Great news on the strips, too!

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Thanks Gary, and well done on taking Diabetes Head on,
Low Carb Rules again ;)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow!. Well done, that's brilliant news. :) And very well done on getting the test strips, I am impressed by both you and your doctor:)

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Cheers

Gary
Well done Gary, its amazing what you can do when you have all the right information at your finger tips. :)

airsair

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good work. Very pleased for you. Hope the same happens for me next week have the same scenario.

Reactions: 2 people