Tooth extraction

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I've been having real problems with a tooth getting re-infected after a root canal and now my dentist is thinking of taking it out later today. eek. I've never had a tooth extracted before and a bit nervous particularly with the whole diabetes thing.

Any advice or am sat here waiting for the call overly worrying for nothing?
Thanks
A

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I've been having real problems with a tooth getting re-infected after a root canal and now my dentist is thinking of taking it out later today. eek. I've never had a tooth extracted before and a bit nervous particularly with the whole diabetes thing.

Any advice or am sat here waiting for the call overly worrying for nothing?
Thanks
A
Please check with your doctor first (phone him?) as I seem to remember something about having to go on antibiotics for a few days first before having a tooth extracted if diabetic. This is a precautionary measure against infection.

Sorry I can not remember the details. Plus I have a sneaking suspicion that the actual recommendation changed recently.

Perhaps someone else can help further.

Is your dentist aware that you are diabetic? Make sure he does!

Good luck

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Pavlos.

My dentist knows I'm diabetic but calling the doctor first is prob a good idea.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Just make sure you follow instructions about keeping your mouth clean and make sure also that your blood sugar is not to low as to need carbs within an hour or two after extraction. Dentist will sort out anti B's if needed.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had teeth extracted since being a Type 2. You may get antibiotics prescribed by the dentist - this is quite probable due to the infected root canal. You must follow the instructions they give to you to the letter. The last thing you want is a dry socket http://www.webmd.boots.com/oral-health/guide/dry-socket-symptoms-and-treatment

If your BS well controlled, then the likelihood of complications is lowered.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You should be fine Andrea, your bg levels might be high for a while afterwards so you may have to take corrective doses, good luck and hope it all goes well.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all. Dentist has given me antibiotics today to clear up the existing infection and then back next week to get it out.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. Dentist has given me antibiotics today to clear up the existing infection and then back next week to get it out.

Have you tried absolutely everything, including re-doing the root treatment and apicectomy? (Apicectomies aren't so easy with molars, to be fair.) If it's a molar, it might be possible just to lose one root, as opposed to the whole tooth? Has that been discussed? (Some dentists will resist this as it's somewhat fiddly to say the least, but can be a conservative option.)

Of course, there are times when all else has failed, and the tooth morphology and infection make an extraction the only way forward, so I'm not trying top undermine your dentist's judgement. :(

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They did suggest trying to re-do the root canal but they are a bit unsure whether it will work as I have crack thats going very near the tip and they dont know they can fill it deep enough. Apparenly I have very narrow roots too which isnt helping. Didnt know they can remove one root, might be an idea as its deinfintely just the one giving me problems.

Its been re-infected 3 times now so somethign needs sorting. On one hand I am reluctant to have it out but after all the grief i've had with it part of me just wants to get rid of it.

Thanks for the advice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Please check with your doctor first (phone him?) as I seem to remember something about having to go on antibiotics for a few days first before having a tooth extracted if diabetic. This is a precautionary measure against infection.

Sorry I can not remember the details. Plus I have a sneaking suspicion that the actual recommendation changed recently.

Perhaps someone else can help further.

Is your dentist aware that you are diabetic? Make sure he does!

Good luck

Pavlos

Hi, I had two teeth extracted in June this year as they were causing problems. no infection then, and everything went well, had no problems and I didn't have any painkillers afterwards :)

Good luck RRB

Reactions: 2 people

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, I had two teeth extracted in June this year as they were causing problems. no infection then, and everything went well, had no problems and I didn't have any painkillers afterwards :)

Good luck RRB
No painkillers!!! You must be super woman. I had the extraction Thursday and it was one of the most horrible things I've had done. On the mend now though I think :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people