Early pregnancy, higher numbers since starting insulin

just_jenn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to this board, so just a quick intro: I'm 29, type 2 -- was diagnosed in my pregnancy with my little boy around 5 years ago. Now I'm pregnant with number 2 (about 8 weeks).

I normally take metformin 1g twice a day, but because my numbers were running just over the higher side of acceptable, I've just started Novomix 30, 10 units with breakfast and 10 with dinner. I'm only 2 days in, but my numbers are, if anything, worse than they were without the insulin -- I.e. (7 before a meal rather than 5.5 or so). Is this normal? Will it just take a couple of days to adjust? My diabetes team have said to up by 2 units for 3 days (and then by 2 more if still too low for 3 days and so on...) but I'm just really nervous. My eating habits have remained mostly the same, although I have perhaps eaten slightly less over the weekend (was too sick for lunch today).

Any similar experiences grateful received as I won't be able to talk to the diabetic midwife until Wednesday.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey I'm sorry no one has replied to your post with any advice as of yet .

I'm type 1 so can't really comment , but it sounds like your heading in the right direction , I think your doing all you can do by following the directions you've been given with upping the insulin .
Good luck for your talk with your midwife , and hopefully she can sort it out with you .

Best of luck throughout your pregnancy.

:)

sazzymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Do you still take metformin as well as the insulin?

I'm a Type 2 (but don't tick all the boxes for it and there's constant queries about which sort of diabetic I am!)

I'm currently 37 weeks pregnant. On metformin and 2 different lots of insulin (5 injections a day). Pregnancy has been very tricky for me. At the start, my sugars were mainly ok, more hypos than hypers. Got to around 30 weeks pregnant and my sugars are all over the place. I get 6s in the morning, and they can rise to 18s by the afternoon. It can be scary.

The best advice I can give is to be proactive with adjusting the insulin doses. I have to increase mine regularly and it is hard to get it right. It is amazing how even small amounts of exercise and what you eat during pregnancy can effect sugar levels. The body sometimes works completely different in pregnancy (well, mine sure does!).

I'm sure you'll get there. Just don't get too stressed. As long as you're willing to try your hardest, you have a good chance of getting there in the end. Best of luck