Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi @Lesleywo,

Have you heard of diabetes burnout? There is no particular time scale for when this happens and if you are a perfectionist it seems more likely.

Read this article and see if you can identify with it
http://www.diabetesexplained.com/diabetic-burnout.html

Do any, or all, of the following fit you?
1. You are often called a perfectionist. You may admit to this, or feel that it is a bit extreme, but you do like things to be 'just so' and are pretty highly motivated to get them that way.
2. You feel a deep need to succeed in everything you do, you are highly committed to that goal and if you do not achieve that success you feel inadequate and see yourself as a failure.
3. You need to have control over all aspects of your life. You want to make the choices, not have situations thrust upon you.
4. You find change, with it's related unpredictability, stressful.
5. You have extremely high personal expectations and tend to be very critical of yourself if you do not meet your own standards.
6. You have a tendency to take things personally.
Yes Catherine, I can definitely identify to this. I think it's especially difficult for people who have struggled with disordered eating most of their lives in terms of diet and food restriction/bingeing. And even in the world of diabetes, there are so many opinions as to what diet is best (especially on the forum!) So again the strive for perfection rears it's ugly head .... I was discussing this stuff with my psychologist last week and we both agreed there is no perfect diet - only what's right for me.

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Don't be swayed by people telling you what you must eat but rather find something that works for you and your meter.

Reactions: 2 people