metformin accidental overdose

churn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have taken 2 x 500mg metformin by mistake what should I do? is it harmful?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Shouldn't have too much impact. Can you take bs reading? I went too low on it once or twice as my doseage was too high. Had a hypo and ate tsp of honey which sorted it out. Do you do readings? If so, what's your normal reading? Keep an eye. A hypo is 4 or anything below. If you are worried make sure someone else around, tell them what you've done. You could ring 111.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happily it is not a very powerful drug and, in my opinion, it won't cause you problems. However if you have a meter then test and if you don't have a meter and go vague, slight headache and maybe a tremour then eat something sweet. @Scandichic suggests that if you are worried then call 111 and I think that's a good idea too.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is the dose that a lot of people on metformin take. It may give you a dodgy stomach if you are not used to that dose. Also depends what your levels are usually whether it may take you too low and you hypo.

churn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have taken 2 x 500mg metformin by mistake what should I do? is it harmful?
many thanks for those who took time to reply. 111 replied quite soon, but to actually speak to someone took much longer. it's the first time it's happened, won't be so worried next time!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Glad you're ok! I got prescribed 3 but lost a substantial amount of weight. Kept feeling funny and asked doc who poo pooed it. Hubbie called 111 as kept drifting in and out of consciousness. Hospital set no met, doc said carry on. Chemist said load of **** and reduced it to 1. Now lost 4 stone and still on 1. Works well. If I stop, bs goes up a bit despite low carbing. And I am very low carb. So take 1. Hugsxxx

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I have 4 x 500gm per day and it's not a problem drug. I suspect your meter will show very little effect but do keep an eye on your BS and have some carbs if it should go too low.