Advice on going out drinking

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would like some advice from you Type 1 diabetics on what you do differently when you are going out drinking. I will be 18 in a couple of months and will be going out drinking for the first time, I am nervous because I know with having diabetes lots could go wrong. My doctor has gave me a brief outline of what to do like be careful, try to have some normal sodas like cola and make sure to have something to eat etc. but I thought it'd be better to get advice from fellow Type 1's as to what you do :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just be sensible and drink carefully, monitor your bg levels whenever you get the chance and have a carby snack before bed to stop your bg levels falling overnight, although some alcohol can raise bg levels temporarily it can also lower them many hours after and can lead to hypo's.

It also goes without saying that you should carry fast-acting glucose with you on your nights out and carry some identification that says you have type 1 diabetes.

Reactions: 4 people

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Research the effects of what you are drinking, beer, wine, and spirits all have different effects on BG. If I'm drinking wine / spirits all afternoon / evening at a BBQ I won't take any insulin as the alcohol does that job, so bear in mind the effect of alcohol on BG. Most important check before you go to bed and have a carby snack before you sleep.

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
What about trying to see the effects at home first of all? Having tested out the effect of different types of alcohol on your blood sugar at home might give you an idea of what to expect.
Having said that you do of course still need to carry fast acting, do tests every now and again (so have a bag that you can fit your meter and sweets or whatever into, eat enough to keep you safe, plan whether walking or dancing might come up as that will also make a difference.
If you can manage to monitor what happens over night and the next day with your sugars (the common rise hours after alcohol followed by a drop) you can plan for next time. Work out what you like and what works for you....and enjoy.Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

C

catherinecherub

This article will help @Nicola M,

"Today I’m going to teach you how to get wasted safely. I’m not saying you should. I’m not saying I want you to. But if you are going to, I want you to know the dangers, and I want you to know how to do it right.

Why? Because no one else will frickin’ tell you. Your parents won’t. Your grandparents won’t. Your doctors won’t. Your educators won’t. Your teachers won’t. Your priests won’t. But I will.

I call all young type 1s my little brothers or sisters, but I today I’m thinking of you as my nieces and nephews. Yep, I’m the Uncle your mother really wishes would just join the Merchant Marines and never visit until after you’re all grown up. I’m the perceived bad influence. The tattooed guy who swears, smokes, drinks, flirts with all the women in the room, and makes politically incorrect jokes.

But God puts people into families for a reason. And the black-sheep uncle has an important role to fill: the adult who cares but does not judge.

To drink safely you need to first understand how alcohol affects you and me differently than it does the sugar-normals. Do you know anything about your liver? It does all kinds of things for your body. It has more than 500 different functions, actually. But most importantly to our discussion today: It’s a blood filter. It removes toxins from your blood. Toxins like alcohol....................."

http://www.diabetesmine.com/2014/03...isiting-drinking-diabetes-with-uncle-wil.html

Reactions: 2 people

BethAliceC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Alcohol can effect people's blood sugar differently,
If you find yourself low the next day a lot more it helps to put in a smaller Percentage of the insulin you need to for the drinks and food. Always eat something before bed

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi Nicola, all good advice above, the only other tips I would have are..
1 Never drink on an empty stomach
2 Go out with friends you trust not to abandon you, and that can help you / nag you to check your sugars if need be - being hypo can be confused with being drunk so strangers / boubcers etc might not be very helpful
3 avoid alcopops at all costs (breezers, Smirnoff ice etc) - these made my sugars rocket and I felt really ill
4 don't mix your drinks or drink too much - spending the night with your head down the toilet, or in a bin or bush ain't good!
5 keep some mints or boiled sweets in your handbag incase you do get sick, if you do go hypo, trying to eat when you feel rotten can be a struggle

The fact you're posting on here for advice tells me you're much more sensible than I was at that age so you should be fine! Enjoy your 18th celebrations x

Reactions: 4 people