Drinks

parrdale

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all just having a look on the food page and reading some of the items has made me think I need to ask some questions. Since I was a kid I have drunk about a pint of milk a day, in the last 10 years or so I switched to goats milk (semi). Don't drink much tea like coffee and have been drinking Pepsi max or sparkling water and juice for a year or so. So most breakfasts are toast and marmite with a large glass of milk. Does this have to change.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all just having a look on the food page and reading some of the items has made me think I need to ask some questions. Since I was a kid I have drunk about a pint of milk a day, in the last 10 years or so I switched to goats milk (semi). Don't drink much tea like coffee and have been drinking Pepsi max or sparkling water and juice for a year or so. So most breakfasts are toast and marmite with a large glass of milk. Does this have to change.

The toast is not a good choice.
I know, it is easy, quick and delicious, but carbs are not good for BG levels. Juice also raises BG. Milk is fine, but I would ditch the Pepsi.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A quick and easy alternative breakfast, yogurt, not the low fat stuff which has more sugar, but have the full fat yogurt instead. I add some blueberries and seeds and nuts. Very tasty and keeps hunger away.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Depend on what you call a large glass and your postprandial bg readings, you can buy Lactofree milk in most big supermarkets and this has around half the carbs as standard milk, taste wise there's no difference.

parrdale

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
well tried Lactofree milk and have to say its really nice, as someone that has drunk a pint of milk a day since I was about 8 or 9 and now in my fifties and as don't drink beer or wine or any alcohol its been my drink of choice.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well tried Lactofree milk and have to say its really nice, as someone that has drunk a pint of milk a day since I was about 8 or 9 and now in my fifties and as don't drink beer or wine or any alcohol its been my drink of choice.

Better choice than Pepsi and juice.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you could be right Pipp.

Anyone who really knows me well is aware that I am never wrong!

Or at least I am an arrogant git who thinks that I am never wrong.

How are you getting on?

parrdale

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ok not really noticed any difference at all, food has been ok, I have been on 10mg of ramipril for about 20 odd years and for the last 4 years cardicor 2.5mg and about a year ago they put me on simvastatin 40mg and the only thing that has changed is my feet, about 20 years ago I went to Romania just after Anneka Rice did her trip to the country, we took a load of aid and meds, and I got bit by mosquitoes round my ankles and I ended up with brown tea stains on my feet, well it has got worse since the extra tablet or could it be blood sugar levels I know looking after you feet is a big priority so may need to ask the doc's.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok not really noticed any difference at all, food has been ok, I have been on 10mg of ramipril for about 20 odd years and for the last 4 years cardicor 2.5mg and about a year ago they put me on simvastatin 40mg and the only thing that has changed is my feet, about 20 years ago I went to Romania just after Anneka Rice did her trip to the country, we took a load of aid and meds, and I got bit by mosquitoes round my ankles and I ended up with brown tea stains on my feet, well it has got worse since the extra tablet or could it be blood sugar levels I know looking after you feet is a big priority so may need to ask the doc's.
Yes, don't neglect feet.
Important to check blood glucose levels too.