Should my husband be on Zicron?

kathymtv

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Husband was presenting symptoms of diabetes (going to the loo all the time, constantly thirsty, is about 5 stone overweight). Went to the doctor 18 months ago. Sent him for a blood test. FPG level was 4.8. Doc advised him he was pre diabetic and put him on Metformin. He had side effects such as needing the loo all the time and it was becoming uncomfortable. He went back and they changed him to Zicron 6 months ago on his annual 'check'. Further blood tests show the numbers haven't changed on his FPG levels. He has been following a calorie controlled diet and he is struggling to lose weight. He spoke to the doc two weeks ago and she advised Zicron can cause him to gain weight. This is making him really down as he can't lose weight to ease the symptoms. He asked if he can come off the tablets and she said no.
Any ideas for losing weight, diet or any other medications that may be better for him - or does he need to be on meds at all?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I'm afraid I don't understand. He was diagnosed as pre-diabetic with a fasting glucose of 4.8???? That is a perfectly normal fasting blood glucose test. Are you sure he didn't have any other tests? I also understand that Metformin isn't licenced for GP's to prescribe in the UK for people that are not actually diabetic. Zicron seems very much over the top to me. Maybe others can comment on this. One good thing about Metformin is it is an appetite suppressant, so helps a bit with weight loss. There is a slow release version that is kinder on the tummy.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am equally puzzled. A fasting level of 4.8 is not indicative of diabetes or pre diabetes. Being overweight is another issue but it may have caused the GP to jump to conclusions. The frequent peeing could be due to a number of causes. My nurse told me to drink decaf to lessen this effect but this did not help.

If you think the Metformin (or Zicron) is the cause of the peeing then negotiate to stop taking it for a time to see if matters improve.

kathymtv

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This is exactly what confused us. We don't understand why he was put on Metformin in the first place. A second doctor who was a locu, said he couldn't understand why he was put on it in the first place, but his regular doctor said she won't take him off Zicron. My daughter told me to post on here because we want to get a second opinion and we are hoping that a few other people will agree with our confusion. I personally think the GP has screwed up and jumped the gun. He is in a catch 22 position now because he doesn't trust his current doctor but equally doesn't want to just take himself off the Zicron in case something bad happens to his glucose levels as they obviously made a case for him being on it!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not have a chat with your pharmacist. They will be able to tell you what effects the pills will have and what may happen if he stops them.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you got copies of the print outs of his blood test results? You are entitled to these if you ask. The receptionist may do them for you. I think you need them to see exactly what tests he has had and what the results were. With a Fasting test of 4.8 there is no way he should have been told he was pre-diabetic without some other back up tests. Have you checked this?

desidiabulum

The problem may be that he is locked into a treatment cycle. The GP may think he is following recommended procedure (as indeed he is) by putting your husband on gliclazide (Zicron) if his BGs had failed to respond to metformin after 12 weeks, and that he should continue on gliclazide until his levels improve. It seems very strange that he was diagnosed as prediabetic wiith fasting bloods of 4.8, and that he is on gliclazide while still prediabetic, but then it is also strange if he is not then getting hypos on gliclazide, and that the side effects still imply high BG levels.
Maybe you could try discussing things again with the GP. Begin with the fact that you understand why the GP was following recommended procedures in good faith, but that the initial decision to put him on metformin was odd (whatever one thinks of the subsequent treatment). Get a blood glucose monitor and explain that, given that gliclazide can cause weight gain, your husband wants to try a systematic weight loss programme first -- monitoring his BGs regularly -- to see whether that can reduce the insulin resistance. If that doesn't work then he will go back to gliclazide. Trying to get the GP involved in an agreed procedure that doesn't challenge his judgment might be the best way forward (don't cite the locum's assessment against his -- even if the locum was correct -- that will only make him more defensive). Good luck!

Reactions: 4 people
A

AnnieC

I am prediabetic with a FBG of 6.9 at my bloods test 2 consecutive two weeks apart My doctor never put me on medication said they don't do that until we have two readings of 7 or over. 4.8 is normal non diabetic levels your husband has nothing to worry about with that