Toe nail

K

Kat100

A young trainee GP , all I could see today suggested we send clippings of my toe nail to the lab ...
Toe (large toe) brown and white ,discoloured with half nail splitting ...may not be related to diabetic health ...
Anyone else had this experience ...Thank,you ....

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, but it's great that he wants to find out what's really wrong. I think it's a good suggestion by the GP, but sorry I haven't had the experience myself.

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

Thanks @zand ...I have just had a google ....ummm?? It says it maybe a fugal infection ...or the toe nail clippings can show up other health problems of which I have a few ...just have to wait for nail to grow first ....then I can get a clipping ...
Sorry to be talking about my toes , but it does not look right ....best wishes ...Kat

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

You're welcome x ;)
If you've got something that's anti fungal/anti bacterial etc etc in the meantime, like that nasty listerine mouthwash that kills everything in it's path, or tea tree oil or wash. Use the listerine in an eyedropper or soak your feet in some water and tea tree, that'll help make a start on it.
When you use the curanail, it's got all the stuff you need in it, files etc.
Good luck x
@Dibbles1
That is great to know ...Thank you very much , I will give it a try ...you have provided some great suggestions ....Kat

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Kat, this may sound extreme, but if you have recurring problems with the nail then it might be worth have the nail removed, I got both my big toe nails removed as they were ingrowing, they kill off the root of the nail to stop it growing again, I can honestly say I don't miss them one little bit.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a couple of fungal toenails for a while (15 years), and have tried the over the counter remedies such as curanail. Finally, I saw a Podiatrist on Wednesday who said that there's no real health issue with having fungal toenails, but they are more common in us diabetics. She said that the over the counter remedies are usually only mildly successful because they don't get down into the nail bed where the fungus likes to live.
She referred me back to my GP who has given me an antifungal medication called Terbinafine to take for the next 3 to 6 months.

DamePeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A young trainee GP , all I could see today suggested we send clippings of my toe nail to the lab ...
Toe (large toe) brown and white ,discoloured with half nail splitting ...may not be related to diabetic health ...
Anyone else had this experience ...Thank,you ....
Me too! Have only just been diagnosed T2 but have had similar nail problems for several years. A test of clippings confirmed Fungal Infection but at least three lots of medication have failed to clear it up.

Seeing the Diabetes Team Nurse next week so will discuss with her as it could well be diabetes-related!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I hope you find out what it is kat, sending off toenail clippings would seem to be a standard procedure. I have a couple of nail conditions in the past. Good luck

RRB x

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too! Have only just been diagnosed T2 but have had similar nail problems for several years. A test of clippings confirmed Fungal Infection but at least three lots of medication have failed to clear it up.

Seeing the Diabetes Team Nurse next week so will discuss with her as it could well be diabetes-related!

My non-diabetic OH was diagnosed with a fungal nail a few weeks ago by his podiatrist.

Her approach was along the lines of: It won't kill you, and isn't harmful, but obviously isn't the most attractive condition. If you want to treat it, there are a couple of things to try. Treatment should continue for a year. Not all fungal nails respond to treatment. It's up to you.

When he had thought it over, he has decided to use a natural approach, and is using tea tree oil, in the first instance. If that doesn't work, he may think again, but he was just happy to understand it wasn't a serious condition.

Sorry I can't recall the lotions the Podiatrist recommended.

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would also like to recommend using Curanail. Your Gp can prescribe it as it is quite pricy.
You must follow instructions exactly though and use it for about a year until nail has completely grown out.

it worked for me and nails are now completely clear.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Sometimes this is a usual discolouration of the nail and nailbed due to aging. I had thumb nail clippings sent for analysis for infection and came back negative, just comes and goes. Also as you get older it is common for toenails to go a bit yellowish and is not an infection either. Learned a lot from my caring GP about nails and health. :)

gracol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
most modern (recent) "music" its just a noise !!
Moving from toenails to feet--my gp surgery cancelled my podiatry treatment 2YEARS AGO--since then i spent a bomb on private treatment. Revisited my surgery to sort things out (24/11/14) and now (16/1/15) STILL awaiting an appointment. My toenails are well out of control because i have A) arthritis in lower back B) a prolapsed disc L5/S1 and C) im NOT a contorsionist. Anybody else having these ANNOYING problems with the NHS ????

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Moving from toenails to feet--my gp surgery cancelled my podiatry treatment 2YEARS AGO--since then i spent a bomb on private treatment. Revisited my surgery to sort things out (24/11/14) and now (16/1/15) STILL awaiting an appointment. My toenails are well out of control because i have A) arthritis in lower back B) a prolapsed disc L5/S1 and C) im NOT a contorsionist. Anybody else having these ANNOYING problems with the NHS ????

You can refer yourself to be seen by a podiatrist, you might be able to download a form from your local NHS Trust website or you can pick up a form from your gp surgery.

Podiatry care comes under the 15 healthcare essentials that people with diabetes should receive:

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Monitoring/15-healthcare-essentials/