Confused.

Devonlady

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been reading that porridge is a no no and I have been having it about 3 times a week, some days I have shredded wheat. As my cholesterol was 7.2 I am trying not to eat to much fat, I see people eat eggs and bacon quite a lot for breakfast. Example my meals today are. Porridge for breakfast followed by 40minute walk with my dog. Chicken, new potatoes and veg for lunch ( is gravy allowed ) and a ham and salad sandwich for tea with a sugar free jelly and fruit for desert. Does this seem ok. I had a BS level on Wednesday of 4.2. I do not have a monitor and I am seeing the nurse on the 6th Feb. Advice appreciated.

C

catherinecherub

Your food choices may or may not raise your blood sugar levels and the only way is to get a tester and see what is happening. Most G.P. practices seem to think that Type 2s do not need to test and rely on your HBA1c to see how things are progressing.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although you seem to be eating carbohydrates your BS level on Wednesday suggests that you don't have a problem with that. Perversely, eating saturated fat lowers cholesterol according to recent studies and you should not fear the full fat milk, butter, cream etc.

I would recommend eating fewer carbs even to a healthy person since indulgence in carbs is how most of us got to be type 2 diabetics in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Devonlady

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say eat fewer carbs, what are the best ones to eat fewer of, I have very few potatoes, I don't rely like rice or pasta and I eat seeded brown bread. What else would you advise me to cut down on.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A VERY few new potatoes may be ok (but how does one know how "new" they are if they're not home-grown?). For the time being avoid other root crops like parsnips & cooked carrots. Veg that grow above ground are generally ok, but watch out for peas and sweetcorn.
To start with regard all bread as the same and try to cut it out altogether until you get your BS levels sorted out. If you don't like rice or pasta, good.
Also avoid all fruit except the ones ending in -berry, and eat berries with something like double cream.
Eggs and bacon are perfect for some of us because they are pretty much carb free and have enough fat to supply energy instead of carbs.
Nobody (I hope) will order you to eat this or that, but you will find it helpful to discover your own responses to different foods by using our guidelines.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

The problem is that each of us reacts differently to a particular carb food. You may be able to tolerate bread, porridge and the carb levels that you are eating - but you will only find out by using a test meter.

There is growing evidence that dietary cholesterol is hardly raised by dietary fat, but is instead raised by carbs. Sounds counter-intuitive, I know.
Check out the bloodsugar101 website link in my signature. You will find links and discussions to the new evidence on cholesterol.

Many of us have found that eggs and bacon for breakfast, and dropping our carbs has a lowering effect on cholesterol.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sorry, I can't see whether you are on meds at all??