Facebook, the good, the bad or the ugly ?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well AB, I am so sorry you find the thread so negative, I thought it was better ? to move away from daniTI thread as he expressed his concern in posting, nothing more nothing less. So sorry you had to add a sigh AB, and it is not about turning newbies away :eek: it's NOT about diabetes, as I put in on the in General, section it's about FB. in general.

Guys, if you dislike the thread, find it boring or repetitive, then by all means ignore it and more on........................
and yes, I am now sighing at this post :( :wideyed:

regards RRB
You win some and you loose some, however @Robinredbreast your the winner and you can drive one of my cars any-day so stay as you are "positive in posting":)

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good that people get the best out of FB because by all means it aint all bad.
Anyone use Skype?
It's got a new competitor
The latest version of Firefox has a wee bit where you just type some ones email address in and if there online and also have firefox .... you'r request is recieved they accept and your having a video chat .... that fast that simple.
Not tried it yet but sounds great .... and no phone charges.

No I haven't got skype, I have been asked that before, " have I got Skype"..................webcam ?? I don't want to be sitting in my jimjams ( in the evening) on a webcam, If you haven't guessed already I'm not really into tech, social gadgets :p

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You win some and you loose some, however @Robinredbreast your the winner and you can drive one of my cars any-day so stay as you are "positive in posting":)

OOhhh, that's lovely Izzzi, thank you.:) I do love classic cars, so smart and with a certain touch of class.
Have you thought of starting a thread on this, or did someone start a similar one, last year possibly?? Apologises if you did:oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OOhhh, that's lovely Izzzi, thank you.:) I do love classic cars, so smart and with a certain with a touch of class.
Have you thought of starting a thread on this, or did someone start a similar one, last year possibly?? Apologises if you did:oops:
Thanks, there are a few members that own beautiful classic cars. I have never thought about a thread.
Blimey don't think I could handle those negative comments that seem to come from nowhere without good reason. :(
IMG_0148 (1).JPG This is my favourite although we should never have favourite's.:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks, there are a few members that own beautiful classic cars. I have never thought about a thread.
Blimey don't think I could handle those negative comments that seem to come from nowhere without good reason. :(
View attachment 11234 This is my favourite although we should never have favourite's.:)

Stunning izzzi,
it's just that I don't want to derail the thread. I for one would love to see a classic car thread, :happy: I'm sure others would too,
yes ????

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 11234 This is my favourite although we should never have favourite's.:)
Hi Izzi, just a thought but when you add a thumbnail photo as you have, just mention that you need to click on it to enlarge as some people wouldn't know that. Be a shame to lose the "bigger" picture so to speak. Really nice car by the way. Your other point about opening a thread about our vehicles sounds good too. Why don't you start one?:D :oops::oops: sorry Robin, you asked before I'd finished typing.:facepalm:

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Izzi, just a thought but when you add a thumbnail photo as you have, just mention that you need to click on it to enlarge as some people wouldn't know that. Be a shame to lose the "bigger" picture so to speak. Really nice car by the way. Your other point about opening a thread about our vehicles sounds good too. Why don't you start one?:D :oops::oops: sorry Robin, you asked before I'd finished typing.:facepalm:

doh, :p

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I am thinking about it.Good Idea about the click to enlarge, ( I felt it would be to much of a showing off type of thing to enter the original size ).

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I am thinking about it.Good Idea about the click to enlarge, ( I felt it would be to much of a showing off type of thing to enter the original size ).
With something like that, it needs to be shown off. The bigger the better.;):happy:

K

Kat100

Well I love my FB I am a novice user ....but I can keep in touch with family who live far away and friends ..
But as I have said before use it most to search for missing pets ...it can be a very positve thing in helping ...and fund raising ..etc...
For example I love following those in the forces , in war zones who recuse the animals and help save them and try to rehome them ...
I am always on FB to save the animals ....
I love all the positive things that FB brings me ...
However without repeating my self I detest the bullying that can happen ...and that does not just have to be on FB ...
The good thing about FB is I can set my settings to private ....!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I used to call Facebook, Spacebook:rolleyes:, I had no interest in it what so ever. But, then I wanted to look up old school friends, remembered one boy, so I put a search out, joined Facebook and he got in touch. It was lovely to hear from him, but I hardly go on there tbh. I do get alerts when a family member or a friend has posted ( a notification), but it still doesn't want me to be glued to it :wacky: as I know it can get people on it 24/7. Sometimes my teenager asks " can I go on face book," because she wants to message me something, from upstairs :eek: :angelic: occasionally I will. Also, I constantly tell my teenager to be
vigilant and if she see's anything nasty, any negativity towards her, or someone or something makes her uncomfortable she MUST tell me asap.
On plus side, I have seen some lovely animal pictures and lovely meaningful quotes.
I know many use it to message distant relatives, loved ones or friends in other countries.

Regards RRB :)

K

Kat100

Well AB, I am so sorry you find the thread so negative, I thought it was better ? to move away from daniTI thread as he expressed his concern in posting, nothing more nothing less. So sorry you had to add a sigh AB, and it is not about turning newbies away :eek: it's NOT about diabetes, as I put in on the in General, section it's about FB. in general.

Guys, if you dislike the thread, find it boring or repetitive, then by all means ignore it and more on........................
and yes, I am now sighing at this post :( :wideyed:

regards RRB
By making a point , asking questions , etc etc ..is so positive , it's how we got to vote in the first place .! ..I am thinking history now ...by having a voice as a means of communications ...made social reforms , just as we are doing now , just by having a chat ....good subject it is the modern day ...
In 100 years we may not even have to use our voices ....:wideyed:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
By making a point , asking questions , etc etc ..is so positive , it's how we got to vote in the first place .! ..I am thinking history now ...by having a voice as a means of communications ...made social reforms , just as we are doing now , just by having a chat ....good subject it is the modern day ...
In 100 years we may not even have to use our voices ....:wideyed:

That's something to think about kat :wideyed:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Would Facebook be here in a hundred years time, in a different guise maybe :cyclops: possibly............. implanted :eek: :wideyed: ?

A

AnnieC

Yes I do use it to keep in touch with old neighbours who moved away, friends I actually know and distant family when it is not always necessary to email or phone them. I find it much the same as using this forum and have never had a problem with it

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
A lot of people use the same email address to join face book as they use to contact the bank the council the tax man the bennefu=its office etc etc .... if you copy someones email address into facebook it will bring up instantly any face book account registered in that name.
Councils have admitted to spying on people that way.
Somone on facebook talking about drugs all the time wild parties etc .... the council see it.
For instance .... if you joined face book with the same email address asyou used to join here ... the admin here can type it into facebook and discover the real you.
A lot of people don't realise this.

Reactions: 5 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have 2 Facebook accounts, a business fanpage and a personal one which is for genuine friends (I won't accept a request from anyone I've not met in person) and family. It is good for exchanging photos and as a reminder for birthdays and I use the "check-in" facility when I'm visiting somewhere exciting or interesting, so that my nearest and dearest know where I am when I'm travelling away from home, otherwise I rarely use my personal profile now. I log in here more than I log into Facebook. Or I did. I feel Facebook has had its day and it has had too much bad press.

My Facebook business page and my Twitter account are useful tools for promoting business but I would never, ever exploit my clients by posting anything about them which reveals their identity. I useboth accounts to prove that I'm busy and active and when there is something unique or interesting to share. From experience, visuals have more appeal than words and are more engaging.

Facebook should always be used with caution

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dislike FB intensely.

Several years ago, I accompanied a disabled friend on a field trip, to help her out with mobility issues.
The next week a complete stranger marched up to me on the high street, greeted me like an old friend, and started asking me questions about Roman hill forts.

Eventually, I got some sense out of him.
He was a student unable to attend the field trip.
He had seen pics of the field trip on FB, and recognised me from there (I had seen people with cameras but kind of expected them to be photographing the archeology, not the participants)
He thought I was a member of staff.
He felt justified in accosting me on a weekend, off campus, to ask me questions.

There are so many things wrong with that scenario, that I can't be bothered to list them.

But it left me with a strong dislike for any media where complete strangers can identify me on the street and assume they can invade my privacy.

I would NEVER post a pic of myself on this forum for exactly the same reason.
Heck, I am even regretting posting pics of the dogs!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Facebook account purely because I belong to a secret group set up by a group of ladies that all started chemo for breast cancer in the same month in 2013. Ladies from all over the UK. There are 24 of us. We met originally on a breast cancer forum, very much like this diabetes forum. As that forum was also public, we formed the secret club on Facebook where we can share our ups and downs, and our various cancer treatments and side effects in total privacy in a way some can't confide in friends and family because unless they have been through it, they don't understand.

The group can't be found on any search anywhere, and only members can see, read or contribute. We have all become the best of virtual friends, and some have had meet ups in various parts of the country. We chat every day at some point. I wouldn't like to be without it.

Reactions: 6 people