Facebook, the good, the bad or the ugly ?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
And any prospective employer would think well there's a sensible chap put him on the in with a chance list.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If, and only if, the person has a public profile and hasn't enabled appropriate privacy settings. If you were to place my email address into facebook you would learn that I had a page and what my name is. Nothing else though.

Snap. That is all anyone would learn from finding me, plus my avatar, but I could remove that if I wished.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my name
Yes it is not a good idea to put personl details o

Only my friends can see anything personal about me and that is really only my date of birth facebook email address and name as my profile page is blank I never fill in profile pages I haven't done that on here or any where else

Annie - Have you considered taking out your date of birth? I am completely paranoid about identity theft, so have as little as possible out there, so that any naughty person trying to do the ID jigsaw puzzle has their work cut out.

(And who needs to know how old I am, or when my birthday is !?)

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use FB quite alot.

I like to take photos and learn new techniques. It is a useful way, although not by any means the only way, to learn new techniques and get links to tutorials etc. I also have a page for my photography where I post my photos.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use FB quite alot.

I like to take photos and learn new techniques. It is a useful way, although not by any means the only way, to learn new techniques and get links to tutorials etc. I also have a page for my photography where I post my photos.

I don't use facebook for that, I use flickr as it allows a greater level of identity removal.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If, and only if, the person has a public profile and hasn't enabled appropriate privacy settings. If you were to place my email address into facebook you would learn that I had a page and what my name is. Nothing else though.
Sorry Tim I'm really not meaning to argue with you all the time. I'll try to leave this subject alone after this post, I promise! :)

When I belonged to FB I did have appropriate privacy settings. They were then changed without my knowledge or consent. That's why I no longer have anything to do with FB, that's why I don't feel safe there.

OK, if you want I'll let you have the last word now. ;):)

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sorry Tim I'm really not meaning to argue with you all the time. I'll try to leave this subject alone after this post, I promise! :)

When I belonged to FB I did have appropriate privacy settings. They were then changed without my knowledge or consent. That's why I no longer have anything to do with FB, that's why I don't feel safe there.

OK, if you want I'll let you have the last word now. ;):)
I'm not going to disagree that this can happen... The rate at which they have updated privacy settings over the past couple of years and the magical way in which, while you are not up to date, it often seems to return to default, which instead of being incredibly private is instead, incredibly open is a whole other issue!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
On another point, you can restrict who can find you by your email address - there is a privacy setting where you can set who can find you using the email address you signed up with to friends, friends of friends or everyone.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not going to disagree that this can happen... The rate at which they have updated privacy settings over the past couple of years and the magical way in which, while you are not up to date, it often seems to return to default, which instead of being incredibly private is instead, incredibly open is a whole other issue!

Soooo what you are really saying is it doesn't matter if you tick all the right boxes if they change something and you aren't aware of or quick enough to tick more boxes you are then open to all and sundry, it which case we are right fb sucks

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On another point, you can restrict who can find you by your email address - there is a privacy setting where you can set who can find you using the email address you signed up with to friends, friends of friends or everyone.
:)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Soooo what you are really saying is it doesn't matter if you tick all the right boxes if they change something and you aren't aware of or quick enough to tick more boxes you are then open to all and sundry, it which case we are right fb sucks
Not quite. In the last couple of years, some of the changes they have made have caused this. Other changes haven't.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure FB offer a feature where you can see what other people can see of your page when they are not your friend.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love my Twitter and this Forum. Not keen on FB, but each to their own :joyful:
The best bit, the bit that stops you being bullied or having to deal with stroppy people :)
The 'ignore' button :hilarious:
I still hold to that little saying I was brought up with, 'If you can't say something good, nice or helpful, say nothing at all' :D or something similar.:banghead: TBI

My dad's best advice to me was Think it, say it, but never write it down! :)

Reactions: 5 people
K

Kat100

But you can do that anyway without an email address just put a name in the search box and anyone registered with that name will come up and you can look at their page without being on their friends list but If you tried to log on with an email address you would need their password the same as anyone would need to log into someones account on here
Not sure that is the case on FB ....I might be wrong ...but FB opens up a whole new world of information , that is why some companies use it and some staff very scarred to use it ......

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well all this talk on here made me think, so I googled myself and ...........I'm very pleased to say that my security setting must be good cos I couldn't find anything about me!!!!!!!

Reactions: 7 people