When's the best time to check my blood sugar levels?

ffiandelsdad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi I have type 2 diabetes and take metformin 500mg twice a day. I had a blood test on Tuesday at a day hospital for an eye op and it was 18. I have since bought a test kit and it has varied from 19 to 13 which was earlier today. Do u think I need to go to gp or continue to monitor it and see how I go? How high a reading is too high?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbohydrates are converted to glucose by the body. If your body can't handle the glucose then it seems unwise to keep eating carbs in the amounts that give a glucose reading of 18. Presumably you do your own test two hours or so after eating.

You don't need to give up every last thing with carbs in but for a couple of days don't eat or drink anything with flour or sugar in and see if your blood sugar readings go down. In particular don't drink fizzy sugary drinks and avoid things with mystery ingredients in like nuggets and dippers etc.

ffiandelsdad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hospital told me keep an eye on it. So I bought a kit. I will take levels today 2 hours after eating and see how I go, also will cut back on carbs. Thanks for advice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How high a reading is too high?

18 is too high under any circumstances. The "official" guidance says that you should be under 8,5 at the two hour mark. There are many opinions about this but for the moment I won't go into them. Just see if you can get below the 8,5.

When I said leave out carbs for a couple of days I include bread and pasta in the list of things not to eat. This is seen as a bit of a hardship by some people but it's only for a couple of days to see what happens.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

It does seem you need to tweak your diet to lower those numbers.

Test immediately before you eat then 2 hours after your first bite. The rise should be no more than 2mmol/l (preferably a lot less). If it is above that there are too many carbs in that meal. Keep a food diary, write down everything in that meal including portion sizes, sauces, condiments - everything. Record your before and after levels alongside. You will soon see a pattern emerging. The more carbs, the higher the rise will be.

@daisy1 will be along soon with some advice for new members

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hospital told me keep an eye on it. So I bought a kit. I will take levels today 2 hours after eating and see how I go, also will cut back on carbs. Thanks for advice
You need to get a regular doctor. The people at the hospital don't seem very useful for you.

Yes, cut WAY back on the carbs!