Diabetes and Stress?

PurpleOwl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bananas!
I was told at my recent checkup that due to my blood sugars being high that I need to start thinking about having insulin, instead of tablets.
This worries me a little because I have always had it under control until September last year, when I was given Sitagliptin.. and yet still things haven't got better.
I read a while ago that stress can have some effect on diabetes.. and I am under rather lot of stress in my two jobs right now... always being short staffed and having to work ridiculous hours and days in a row before a day off etc.
Just wondered if I am barking up the wrong tree before I try and make my managers understand things.
Thanks c:

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stress can effect your BS but it might not effect everybody in the same way.

Are you higher BS levels linked with when your jobs became stressfull?

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Stress has a big impact on diabetes. Stress was what highlighted my diabetes in the first place. It elevates your blood sugar because it puts you in fight or flight mode. You could look at ways to reduce your stress and think about what you could change.

Also, do you eat low carb? I find it the most helpful thing to keep me stable. I also try to exercise regularly and try to avoid alcohol.

Definitely worth trying the above but don't be afraid of moving on to insulin if you need it, keeping your blood sugar stable is the most important thing and there's nothing wrong with using a little help if you need it. It may be that you just need it while you are going through a stressful time, it can give your pancreas a much needed rest and doesn't necessarily mean you'll need it forever. I had to go on insulin when first diagnosed.

Good luck

PurpleOwl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bananas!
Stress can effect your BS but it might not effect everybody in the same way.

Are you higher BS levels linked with when your jobs became stressfull?

As the stress in my jobs is getting worse, for me [I'm just finding it hard to cope really] my sugars having been getting higher, yes. I did mention this in my last checkup. I'm not sure what I can do.. my managers arent the best.. but I know I will be talking to them over the next few weeks to see if they can work with me on this.

PurpleOwl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bananas!
Stress has a big impact on diabetes. Stress was what highlighted my diabetes in the first place. It elevates your blood sugar because it puts you in fight or flight mode. You could look at ways to reduce your stress and think about what you could change.

Also, do you eat low carb? I find it the most helpful thing to keep me stable. I also try to exercise regularly and try to avoid alcohol.

Definitely worth trying the above but don't be afraid of moving on to insulin if you need it, keeping your blood sugar stable is the most important thing and there's nothing wrong with using a little help if you need it. It may be that you just need it while you are going through a stressful time, it can give your pancreas a much needed rest and doesn't necessarily mean you'll need it forever. I had to go on insulin when first diagnosed.

Good luck

Thank you c:

I know I shouldn't be afraid to moving to insulin, and I guess its more physiological then anything else, because I always promised myself I wouldn't let things get that bad that i needed it. As you say though, it could be just a helper until things improve. I am definitely going to speak with my managers; one of them tends to think I'm just making a fuss out of nothing when I ask to take my 1.5 hour of breaks when everyone else only takes an hour. However, I know I can point out that he is being a little unfair on this point as I am diabetic.

As for low carb.. I follow a low GI diet and I do my best! I don't really drink either.. once in a blue moon haha. I am looking to increase my exercise. I am going back for a checkup in March so I'm really hoping I can lower my sugars by then!

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your managers may not be the best but it may concentrate their minds somewhat if they realise that they could be on the receiving end of an industrial injury claim in due course....

I'm not suggesting that you should start threatening them with lawyers (almost always counter-productive, in my experience) but it might be worth explaining that it's going to have a detrimental effect on your long-term health if you can't do something about the stress you are currently under and ask them, as you say, to work with you on improving the situation. If they suggest that you "work on it" by resigning from their employment, make it plain that it's up to them, as your employer(s) to make reasonable provision for your disability, rather than the other way round, that you're happy to work with them to achieve this, but that your departure from their employment does not form part of your coping strategy :)

Good luck; I hope you're able to sort it. Just so as you know this is not entirely ill-informed Barrack Room Lawyery, I spent much of my career working in HR and had to, ahem, "steer" a number of recalcitrant managers in the right direction over issues like this. My favourite ploy was to ask them how bright they thought their career prospects would be, if they became known as "The Manager who got the company lumbered with an expensive injury claim" :D

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As the stress in my jobs is getting worse, for me [I'm just finding it hard to cope really] my sugars having been getting higher, yes. I did mention this in my last checkup. I'm not sure what I can do.. my managers arent the best.. but I know I will be talking to them over the next few weeks to see if they can work with me on this.
Then yes it is likely the stress is causing the higher BS.
Try and speak to your managers and get them to work with you on it.

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i find stress affects my BS levels

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It may be worth starting to think about leaving and suing then for constructive dismissal.

G

graj0

I was told at my recent checkup that due to my blood sugars being high that I need to start thinking about having insulin, instead of tablets.
This worries me a little because I have always had it under control until September last year, when I was given Sitagliptin.. and yet still things haven't got better.
I read a while ago that stress can have some effect on diabetes.. and I am under rather lot of stress in my two jobs right now... always being short staffed and having to work ridiculous hours and days in a row before a day off etc.
Just wondered if I am barking up the wrong tree before I try and make my managers understand things.
Thanks c:
Sorry to hear that your numbers aren't looking so good, that's stressful before you go to work.
You have to go very careful when discussing stress at work, in my wife's workplace they've had several members of staff take long periods of time off work because they didn't recognise stress until it was too late. On the other hand if you mention the word stress there's likely to be snide remarks about not being up to the job.
Stress undoubtedly has an effect, but I wonder by how much?
If you're trying to keep your carbs down, that's a good start. As for Sitagliptin, obviously I'm no expert, but when I was prescribed Januvia (trade name) it made very little difference to my numbers. Gliclazide on the other hand did make a difference, it's constantly making your pancreas produce more insulin whereas I think I'm right in saying that Januvia will only only do it's thing when BG is high. Maybe that is an avenue to pursue?
I think one of the issues with stressful working is that it's easy to skip meals, eat the wrong foods, even forget meds, sadly something I do a lot because I'm old. LOL
I'm sure you'll do the right thing when discussing the situation with the management, just be extra careful.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stress can effect my BS short term, I've had odd days when I've taken enough insulin to fell an ox and still through the roof.

PurpleOwl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bananas!
Sorry to hear that your numbers aren't looking so good, that's stressful before you go to work.
You have to go very careful when discussing stress at work, in my wife's workplace they've had several members of staff take long periods of time off work because they didn't recognise stress until it was too late. On the other hand if you mention the word stress there's likely to be snide remarks about not being up to the job.
Stress undoubtedly has an effect, but I wonder by how much?
If you're trying to keep your carbs down, that's a good start. As for Sitagliptin, obviously I'm no expert, but when I was prescribed Januvia (trade name) it made very little difference to my numbers. Gliclazide on the other hand did make a difference, it's constantly making your pancreas produce more insulin whereas I think I'm right in saying that Januvia will only only do it's thing when BG is high. Maybe that is an avenue to pursue?
I think one of the issues with stressful working is that it's easy to skip meals, eat the wrong foods, even forget meds, sadly something I do a lot because I'm old. LOL
I'm sure you'll do the right thing when discussing the situation with the management, just be extra careful.

I am now on a low carb diet at the moment, as well as following a low GI plan.. so I am hoping things can improve c:
I'm glad, however, that I am not the only one to find Sitagliptin isn't doing a lot for me. I think my nurse mentioned Gliclazide? I know there was one she said I could try, but she told me it makes you put weight on.. and considering I am trying hard to loose weight [Lost nearly over a stone in the last year], I wasn't sure if that was a good option. But thing on it, to me, anything is better then having to move on to insulin.

I have yet to be able to speak to one of my managers, the other has taken into consideration that regular breaks throughout my working day can be done, and it has been put into place. I think sometimes its about educating them about why I have to be 'different' to the rest of my collegues... and that is one thing my other manager laughs at, saying at some point that he doesnt understand why I make such a fuss with only have a 20 minute lunch break on a 9 hour day. Still.. we'll see.

Thank you for your advice c: