Bit confused about the high fat thing

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
The first web page I found regarding saturated fat said it was a very healthy thing to eat and not to worry about limiting it, so I'm good. Didn't need to look any where else.

Reactions: 4 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the best oil to cook with, I'm using Flora. I love my stir fry veg.
I go to see the nurse tomorrow for blood results etc. I have already decided if she says I have to increase my meds, my answer will be no.
Reason. A) The blood was taken 3 weeks ago, which was just after Christmas, and yes I was very naughty over Christmas.
B) I have found this website and the information that I have gleened over the last few days is amazing.
C) Test me again in 3 month, and can I have a meter. The answer re meter I'm sure will be no because your type 2.
Wish me luck.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I go to see the nurse tomorrow for blood results etc. I have already decided if she says I have to increase my meds, my answer will be no.
Reason. A) The blood was taken 3 weeks ago, which was just after Christmas, and yes I was very naughty over Christmas.
B) I have found this website and the information that I have gleened over the last few days is amazing.
C) Test me again in 3 month, and can I have a meter. The answer re meter I'm sure will be no because your type 2.
Wish me luck.
:)
Good luck!

There are lots of good fats.
I try to steer well clear of the polyunsaturated veg oils, which means that my countertop has
Olive oil, both cold pressed virgin, and the basic stuff
A bottle of fancy rapeseed (won't buy again, didn't like it)
Coconut butter
And I regularly cook with butter. And cream. And cream cheese. And cheese.

Duck fat is supposed to be excellent too.

But you need to choose what you enjoy. :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
:)
Good luck!

There are lots of good fats.
I try to steer well clear of the polyunsaturated veg oils, which means that my countertop has
Olive oil, both cold pressed virgin, and the basic stuff
A bottle of fancy rapeseed (won't buy again, didn't like it)
Coconut butter
And I regularly cook with butter. And cream. And cream cheese. And cheese.

Duck fat is supposed to be excellent too.

But you need to choose what you enjoy. :)
I like coconut oil or butter. Olive oil for salads.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Duck fat or goose fat. Coconut oil too expensive! Used to love my roasties done in duck fat.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Brunneria I suggest that long term observations and trials are important whenever they were done.
I
Have a look though at recent papers .Just do a search in pubmed for the ones published in the last few months and tell me when you find one that suggests benefits from a diet high in saturated rather than mono or polyunsaturated fat.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
(some recent papers about a variety of conditions and sat fat; it would take a very long time to go through them all)

Here is another Universities summary of the evidence on saturated fat intake from July last year
http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/nutrition/article/end-debate-fat-chance

At the moment I can't see any evidence that diets high in saturated fats are particularly beneficial and even in the first few pages of that recent search. I can see evidence that diets high in sat fat have been associated with a variety of conditions. (it's not all about CVD or diabetes)
There is evidence for diets higher in monounsaturated fats being beneficial (ie Med diet) And as both the Havard and California articles say that means you can't avoid a certain amount of sat fat since they are present together in many foods. That's very different to eating lots of sat fat and saying that it has been shown to be good.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read/saw on youtube...fat biopsy has shown that there has been an increase in poly fats stored, these are unstable compared to stored sat fats.

it's sat fats in the blood that are bad..there is enough to say this is brought about by carbs..low carb high fat diets have low blood sat fat

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers for the replies guys, I'm not pulling the whole idea to pieces completely, I mean, I get that "0%" products like yogurts have more carbs than full fat ones, and great, I've made that change in my kitchen now, I just can't go the whole hog and start eating the rest. Have had a good read around the forum, just not convinced , maybe I'm cynical!

LOL
cynically confused.
Can I say that?
LOL I DUNNO.

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria I suggest that long term observations and trials are important whenever they were done.
I
Have a look though at recent papers .Just do a search in pubmed for the ones published in the last few months and tell me when you find one that suggests benefits from a diet high in saturated rather than mono or polyunsaturated fat.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
(some recent papers about a variety of conditions and sat fat; it would take a very long time to go through them all)

Here is another Universities summary of the evidence on saturated fat intake from July last year
http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/nutrition/article/end-debate-fat-chance

At the moment I can't see any evidence that diets high in saturated fats are particularly beneficial and even in the first few pages of that recent search. I can see evidence that diets high in sat fat have been associated with a variety of conditions. (it's not all about CVD or diabetes)
There is evidence for diets higher in monounsaturated fats being beneficial (ie Med diet) And as both the Havard and California articles say that means you can't avoid a certain amount of sat fat since they are present together in many foods. That's very different to eating lots of sat fat and saying that it has been shown to be good.

The link you provided was flawed by its out of date references.
It was arguing on a variety of different subjects, selecting some sources that were more than 30 years out of date. I actually agree with a great deal of what it said, but feel the reference issue undermined much of the good information it contained.

Sorry Phoenix, but you are not going to draw me into crawling through pubmed and debating the pros and cons of saturated fat. I posted on this thread for 2 reasons - confused's fat phobia, and the poor quality of the sources they were using to justify their thinking. Sidetracking onto the pros and cons of saturated fat isn't IMHO necessary here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Wish me luck.
Try and explain to the doc that T1's use insulin for control but we T2's don't have that so we need a meter to control through diet and the only proper way to do that is by using a meter.
I control my diet according to BS readings not the bathroom scales or I would be like the majority of diabetics in his surgery who don't have a meter .... getting worse and taking ever more meds.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Duck fat or goose fat. Coconut oil too expensive! Used to love my roasties done in duck fat.
Duck fat? Darn it, I just roasted a duck last week and threw all the fat that melted of away - there sure was a lot. I seriously considered keeping it, but couldn't think of what to use it for. Maybe frying my morning eggs?

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Jackthelad, will try that one.

Nocrbs4me, Duck fat yuck! No thank you, I don't eat meat.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Duck fat? Darn it, I just roasted a duck last week and threw all the fat that melted of away - there sure was a lot. I seriously considered keeping it, but couldn't think of what to use it for. Maybe frying my morning eggs?
Are you completely out of your mind? Duck fat is seriously expensive!

If you don't use it all up, put the rest in the deep freezer. After a couple of ducks you'll have enough to make confit de canard.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
A couple of years ago, we had a goose for Christmas dinner. The fat that came off it lasted us 18 months!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We use duck fat for the roast spuds every Sunday. Makes delicious roast spuds, and as I can cope with two pieces I'm happy!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@millysue As long as you remove non-fat from it (essentially strain it while hot) it lasts a very long time kept in the fridge, freezer or sealed jars. Fantastic!