Sugars rising even without carbs

Bobos2121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Does anybody else have the same problem as me ?

I'm a 35 year old relatively fit male. I take 38 units of lantus per day at 6pm

I take my humalog according to how many carbs I eat.

For the past few weeks my sugars have been rising even though I have not eaten carbs.

For example

Woke up @ 7:30 AM and was 4.8 mmol

@ 8:00 AM Had for breakfast 2 cups of black coffee, 2 slices of ham and 2 slice of cheese. ( I took no insulin)

@10:15 AM I was 7.9 mmol

@12:30 PM I was 9.6 mmol

@ 13:00 PM I had a steak with lettuce and tomatoes for lunch ( I took no insulin)

@ 13:30 I took a 3 unit correction of humalog

@ 16:00 I was 11.2 mmol ( I took another 3 unit correction)

I have eaten no carbs and can't understand why sugars keep rising.

Anybody have advice ? I'm struggling to keep on top of it ?

Thanks

Brad

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya Brad, im having same problem at mo, seeing dn in two week who hopefully can help,she did say last time that i may need a change in insulin as sometimes after a while our bodies get used to certain insulins,sorry i couldn't help;)

Bobos2121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it's a nightmare ! Also I'm working out 5 times a week so I should be well within range. Maybe it's the coffee ?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The answer may be with your protein and fat consumption to a degree . Both will convert to glucose, at a much slower rate than straightforward carbohydrates. So strictly speaking, there is no such beast as a no carb meal, and this does need to be bolused for, albeit at a much lower dose. How much depends on the person, and it's experimentation to find out your personal bolus levels for protein and/ or fat . Personally, I bolus at 50% For protein, and 30% for fat..

It's worth a mention that tomatoes are rather carby too :rolleyes:

Oh, and welcome ! :D

Signy

Reactions: 3 people

Bobos2121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The answer may be with your protein and fat consumption to a degree . Both will convert to glucose, at a much slower rate than straightforward carbohydrates. So strictly speaking, there is no such beast as a no carb meal, and this does need to be bolused for, albeit at a much lower dose. How much depends on the person, and it's experimentation to find out your personal bolus levels for protein and/ or fat . Personally, I bolus at 50% For protein, and 30% for fat..

Signy

Thank you very much :)

This never used to be the case for me it just recently :-(

Could this be the case all of a sudden ?

Brad

Bobos2121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very much :)

This never used to be the case for me and has only happened in last week :-(

Did you always have this ?

Brad

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Possibly ! :rolleyes: How long have you been diagnosed? I ask because of you are still , or have recently been in the " Honeymoon" stage, your tolerances, ratios and all round control may have changed or be changing . Having said that, it seems to do that outside of the honeymoon period too :banghead:

You appear to be going on as few carbs as possible,, is this a recent thing ?

As for me, I've always needed to bolus for protein and fats, but have pretty much always eaten low carb. Apart from one time when I adopted the advice to " eat what you want and bolus for it " as an experiment,, gained weight for the first time ever, and seemed to be bolusing a small tanker of insulin for not very much food :eek:

Generally, my insulin needs are very low, and I do use a half unit pen which gives greater flexibility in dose adjustment.

Like every thing else, Brad, it's trial and error with with the bl@@dy condition to find what works for you.....and even then it could change by next Tuesday :eek::banghead:

Signy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
This never used to be the case for me and has only happened in last week :-(

If you've recently been in your Honeymoon period then this will explain why you didn't have to bolus for low-carb meals.

I would have to inject for the meals you listed, for a breakfast of bacon & egs or a cheese omelette I nearly have to inject as much insulin as I do for a breakfast of porridge oats, as the protein and fat breaks down slowly the only way I can manage such meals is by split-dosing, meaning injecting a couple of units before eating and a couple 2-3 hours after eating before.

Try eating the same meals but bolus Brad, start with a low-dose then work your way up going from your postprandial bg readings, its a case of trial and error to get the dosage right for low-carb meals.