Is there SUGAR in soap??

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We wash our hands (well most of us anyway) before testing Blood Sugar levels, Right? Well has anybody ever wondered whether there has been SUGAR added to the ingredients of their soap bar. No, well read on...................................

This was taken from http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/tipstricks/qt/qtsugar.htm

The amount of lather your soap produces is directly related to the types and balance of oils you’re using. Different oils give different amounts and different types of lathers. Many soap makers add a bit of sugar to their soap to help increase the lather even more. Adding sugar helps make a light, bubbly lather with large bubbles.
There are three ways to add the sugar:

Method #1
When making your lye-water solution, add the sugar to your water before you add your lye to the water. Make sure it's completely dissolved before adding the lye. (You can also add salt to the water at this point too.) This is the easiest method, though sometimes the heat of the lye solution will begin to caramelize the sugar a bit, and turn the sugar water a bit of a beige color. Not quite like the orange color you get with goat's milk soap, but for the same reason. This is just an aesthetic consideration. It doesn't affect the soap at all.

Method #2
Take a bit (just a few ounces) of the water you’ve weighed to make your lye solution. Add ½ - 1 tsp. of sugar per pound of oils you are using* to the water, and stir until it’s completely dissolved. Sometimes it helps to warm the water first. Add this sugar-water solution in at trace with your other additives, but before your fragrance oil.

Method #3
Make a “simple syrup” ahead of time by taking two cups of sugar and one cup of water and slowly heating them on the stove. Stir gently until all of the sugar has dissolved. Let it cool and pour it into a bottle to use when you’re making soap. Add ½ to 1 tsp. of the syrup per pound of oils you are using* to your soap, at trace, with your other additives, but before your fragrance oil.

* Sugar Measurement
"1/2 to 1 tsp. of sugar per pound of oils you are using" means that for each 16 oz. of oils (just the oils) you add that much sugar. If there is 32 oz. of oils, add 1 to 2 tsp of sugar. If there is 48 oz. of oils, add 1 1/2 to 3 tsp. sugar.

Interesting eh!!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was issued with a meter a couple of years ago and a nurse was told to tell me how to use it. The first thing she asked me to do was wash my hands and she warned me about rinsing thoroughly because "soap has sugar in it".

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The only one I know of is Sugar Soap, for cleaning down paintwork o_O

Reactions: 4 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was issued with a meter a couple of years ago and a nurse was told to tell me how to use it. The first thing she asked me to do was wash my hands and she warned me about rinsing thoroughly because "soap has sugar in it".
Hmmm, now this could get interesting:rolleyes:

C

chris lowe

That's interesting, never knew that. I usually use a drip of antibacterial gel on my hands before testing.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Anyone know of a soap without sugar in it ?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Honestly anna it's true, and it does a good job too :)
Takes old wallpaper off this one does - yes ?
Sticky when use it ?

Bit like the sticky candyfloss at a fairground .
Reminded me of this one memory from my youth .
Many years ago .
All sticky fingers glued up together .

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone know of a soap without sugar in it ?

Coronation street
Emmerdale...................although Faye Lamb is a sweetener
FAYE_LAMB3.jpg

EastEnders...................Again uses sweeteners, Carol Jackson
carol jackson.jpg
:D:D:D