Status
Not open for further replies.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since so many people are asking, here is a run-down of the changes.

Forum Changelog 27/01/2015

Upgraded from version 1.3.1 to 1.4.4

- Blogs [THIS WILL GO LIVE TOMORROW]: We're really excited to introduce blogs. Now each user has their own blog to contribute to – and we really hope this provides an effective resolution for those that still want to post here and interact but be given the option of keeping their blogs private.

- Thread lock notice: When a thread is locked, it is now compulsory for the moderator to give a reason. This reason will appear in a box at the top of the thread, with the moderator’s name, reason they gave, and time/date it was locked.

- Watched threads: You can now PM an administrator to un-watch all watched threads on your account in one go rather than one at a time

- Activity display: You can now choose to show or hide your online status and current activity. (Previously, if you had the online status enabled, it was equivalent to having both of these options enabled)

- Polls: Polls are no longer limited to one or multiple choice: the creator can now control how many responses a user can select. Voters can now also change their votes, if the creator selects this option. Polls results can also now be limited to only be viewed by people who have already voted.

- Profile posts: Users can now delete posts from their own profiles

- Status indication: There’s now a small green bubble above user avatars on posts to let you know when they're online. When the user isn't online, no indicator is shown.

- IPv6: For all the tech brains: we now support IPv6!

- Multiquote: You can now quote multiple replies as you're scrolling down the page.

- Simplified CAPTCHA: When registering accounts, or after getting locked out of your account, we’ve made the CAPTCHA much more effective and simple.

- Selective quote: You can now selectively quote peoples’ posts by highlighting the part of their post that you wish to quote, and clicking ‘Reply’. This also works on mobile browsers.

- Reply ban: Moderators can now ban users from threads on an individual basis.

- Avatar gallery: We've now got a pre-loaded gallery of avatars available for you all to choose from.

- Fixed a few bugs with the app

- Various other bug fixes: fixed auto linking in basic text sources where HTML is accidentally used, hid the message about dragging multi-quote elements around when not supported, if a media embed key contains censored text, the media will no longer be embedded, 'hamburger' icon now displays correctly in iOS8, file inputs no longer autofocus on iOS8, fixed some IE11 bugs relating to copy+pasting content in to the text editor, prevent an SQL error if a user has 65,535 unread alerts, prevent an SQL error from overly long warning messages, updated URLs in the cookie notice describing clearing cookies in certain browsers, and many many many more.

- Misc. security fixes

- Fictional: We upgraded the servers, and now rather than being run by hamsters in wheels, they are operated by trained deer.

oooh, lots of improvements there!

Thank you. :)

For the record, I have been involved with some software upgrades on 3 different systems, at work.
  • It ain't fun.
  • It ain't easy.
  • It never goes to plan.
  • And no one ever gets the appreciation they deserve.
And since that person has occasionally been me, I feel your pain!

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Giverny - As @Brunneria says, that's quite a lot to batch together.

Thanks, in particular for the upgrade to thread locking etc. I think it helps when one understands the "why", and the "whom", even if we might not always agree with the locking.

Reactions: 7 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
oooh, lots of improvements there!

Thank you. :)

For the record, I have been involved with some software upgrades on 3 different systems, at work.
  • It ain't fun.
  • It ain't easy.
  • It never goes to plan.
  • And no one ever gets the appreciation they deserve.
And since that person has occasionally been me, I feel your pain!
Yeah there's quite a lot of preparation and testing that's gone in to it and we're already slightly behind schedule with the blog system. Glad you understand :)

@Giverny - As @Brunneria says, that's quite a lot to batch together.

Thanks, in particular for the upgrade to thread locking etc. I think it helps when one understands the "why", and the "whom", even if we might not always agree with the locking.
Very much agreed. And this was a feature that people had actively asked for some time ago, so hopefully it'll mean that people no longer need to spend a whole lot of time and energy guessing why a thread was closed or who to contact about it :lock:

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Giverny

Scrolling is better today but I am getting the delay in typing to seeing on screen problem, in that I'll be bashing the keys and it takes a few seconds before the text appears, and I'm not the fastest typist. any Ideas for a fix welcome.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Giverny

Scrolling is better today but I am getting the delay in typing to seeing on screen problem, in that I'll be bashing the keys and it takes a few seconds before the text appears, and I'm not the fastest typist. any Ideas for a fix welcome.

I mentioned this in one of my earlier posts, along with the scrolling.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We've been through all this Tim. Giverny can't sort it, despite knowing the system and specs and browser details.

My scrolling problems come and go

I don't remember having these probs before the upgrade do you?

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have discovered if I push the scrolling bar up with the mouse the delay is made to move on, hope that makes sense

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I just wondered whether there was some Graphics Cache limitation that the flashing green lights were affecting.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I just wondered whether there was some Graphics Cache limitation that the flashing green lights were affecting.
There shouldn't be - the green pulse is just CSS, which I'm pretty sure every computer can handle effortlessly.

Edit: I've removed the animation CSS from the online indicator, can anyone let me know if it's impacted the scrolling issue at all?

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No idea what or where that is, just turning this machine on screws my remaining working brain cell into a corkscrew.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooooo er somethings going on the little green dot has stopped pulsing and now I have green dots with a green halo. Looks like a dart board.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There shouldn't be - the green pulse is just CSS, which I'm pretty sure every computer can handle effortlessly.

Edit: I've removed the animation CSS from the online indicator, can anyone let me know if it's impacted the scrolling issue at all?

Scrolling better almost back to normal, just the typing lag to sort now

Status
Not open for further replies.