Chow Mein

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Alcohol, walking on stoney ground, cutting the grass,politicians in general!
Today it is my birthday - yes I'm 64 as the other half reminded me this morning by playing the tune by the Beatles. Anyway I was diagnosed back at the beginning of January with a BG of 17. I have been very good and am going to the gym 3 times a week as well as walking and the usual housework/Gardening/etcetc. I have been on a low carbohydrate thing and have got my BG down to a low of 6 with a high of 9 - 10 a few times in 3 /4weeks now. What I want to know is will I spoil it all if I order a King Prawn Chow Mein for my birthday meal - a one off. I wont eat it all - honestly oh and will a few prawn crackers be so harmful too...I tend to think of carbs as poison now. Your advice would be most welcome as long as it goes my way - just joking I seriosly just wondered what others would do. The though of a low carb meal on my birthday fills me with dread.:(

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yea .. Happy birthday .. It's my birthday to day as well .. 66 for me ...
I am a vegetarian so cannot answer your chow main question .. But I cannot eat any Chinese without my bs rising .. But it's only one day ... A very special day .. So treat yourself .. Enjoy it .. And if you don't feel too good after test your sugars and if your too high drink some water then go for a nice walk to bring it down again.
Hope you have a great birthday evening :)

Reactions: 2 people

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yea .. Happy birthday .. It's my birthday to day as well .. 66 for me ...
I am a vegetarian so cannot answer your chow main question .. But I cannot eat any Chinese without my bs rising .. But it's only one day ... A very special day .. So treat yourself .. Enjoy it .. And if you don't feel too good after test your sugars and if your too high drink some water then go for a nice walk to bring it down again.
Hope you have a great birthday evening :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy birthday. Enjoy the chow mein. Myself, I would eat the lot and then take some exercise for an hour, but maybe you can't. I'm pretty sure that would ease my BS rise. It's a one-off and you've worked hard the rest of the time.

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Happy Birthday to you to Enclave. I think it was a fantasy really as I have worked so hard to get my BG's down to the 6's it seems a shame to spoil it although I could burn the carbs off at the gym tomorrow morning!! My husband has offered to cook me one of his lovely omelettes and I shall have a few chips instead. Yes I am a vegetarian(33 years or more now) also which makes the diabetic diet a bit harder but I am experimenting. Hope you have a lovely day too.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nooooooo .. Enjoy it .... I am having a peice of pizza tonight .. That's my birthady treat ...

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try it and test, I find that I am ok with noodles, my Chinese restaurant is owned by a friend and they don't use any MSG which can push up your bs, I always choose special chow mein and never go above 7 I have tested it vigorously ;)

It's your birthday and you have to have a little treat - a glass of red or dry white will keep your liver busy for a while too :D

Happy birthday :)

A

AnnieC

Happy Birthday DianaRose eat the chow mein and enjoy it it's a special day and you can have a treat

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you all for your replies and good wishes.:) I am a cowardy custard and am going for the omelette ....but.... I'll have the chow mein on Saturday night!!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy birthday ! :D
Whatever you have, and when, enjoy t without guilt as its a one off. If you find you feel awful after, then it's all part of the learning curve ! ;)

Signy

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy Birthday Diana, hope you enjoy the chow mein! :)
I'll be 60 in a few weeks and I'm hoping my levels have gone down enough to treat myself to fish and chips from the chippy in Princetown on Dartmoor, one of my favourite treats!

Reactions: 4 people

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I
Happy Birthday Diana, hope you enjoy the chow mein! :)
I'll be 60 in a few weeks and I'm hoping my levels have gone down enough to treat myself to fish and chips from the chippy in Princetown on Dartmoor, one of my favourite treats!
It is amazing isn't that all the things we took for granted are now treats! I was only diagnosed before Christmas and am amazed at how much better I feel and my eyesight isso good and I never realised it was so bad! We used to live in North Devon - Highampton. WE had amazing views of Dartmoor. Jon and I went to a web course at Princetown village hall for a couple of weeks. Didn't see a fish and chip shop though.:)

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to add my ha'penny worth; I'd say go for it.

I have an occasional treat like this and, whilst it wouldn't be good for you if your diet consisted of a takeaway every day, I doubt that an occasional Chinese meal will do much harm. I tend to go very easy on the obvious suspects, and avoid (or at least have very small portions of) things like rice, noodles, sweet & sour sauce and spring rolls, and concentrate on stuff like fish in ginger, beef with green peppers, chicken and cashew nuts, stir-fried veg, chop suey rather than chow mien, and so forth. I confess that I find it hard to resist crispy duck pancakes and kung pau chicken - both of which I'm guessing are Thoroughly Bad For You - but I'm only human.

Take a night off and enjoy it, but try to make sure that it doesn't cause you to fall off the wagon.

Oh - and have a very happy birthday :)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I

It is amazing isn't that all the things we took for granted are now treats! I was only diagnosed before Christmas and am amazed at how much better I feel and my eyesight isso good and I never realised it was so bad! We used to live in North Devon - Highampton. WE had amazing views of Dartmoor. Jon and I went to a web course at Princetown village hall for a couple of weeks. Didn't see a fish and chip shop though.:)

It's opposite the primary school, called The Old Police Station Cafe, not just a chippy, it's a cafe too :)