Do you think about diabetes much during the day?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
After reading posts on here over the years it seems as though a lot of people think about their diabetes all the time, worrying about levels, food etc. I'm just wondering if that is the case?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I sure do .... but trying not to as it does me no good at all.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's my current obsession. Because I feel so well I'm not worried, just intensely interested. Because it's winter and I have the time I spend a lot of time on the forum reading about other people's experiences. I love planning new food and my dear wife is very understanding and supportive (and eats the stuff I cook). So I'm in a little cocoon atm. I expect in the spring I'll get out more :)

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I test when I want to.. Certainly don't worry about diabetes day and night.

I used to be more anal about it all till my Consultant told me off.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
For me it's part of the so far successful management; is it time to test ? There are key times to ensure bona fide results. Is it time for a snack or meal ? Saves me risking a hypo, and who really wants one of those? And so on, checking feet . . . . .
There is a balance and we each need to own it for ourselves.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, I must admit I proabably do - my view is that I'll do whatever it takes to make sure diabetes doesn't get the better of me and if that means always having my diabetes in the front of my mind, then it's a small price to pay IMO :)

I do tend to have a bit of an obsessive personality but I'd rather be like that than be blasé about it and lose control :D

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think the answer is "It depends". After 26 years, it's part of everyday life. I test when I feel rubbish, around food, etc, I inject based on food and tests. I don't have it sitting there to worry me particularly, as there's no point!

When doing things like trying to work out why I was getting random massive hypos and settling in new Basal insulin, then I focus more on it, but there's far too much other stuff going on to spend all the time focussed on it. If you allow that to happen, you won't get on with your life.

Reactions: 4 people

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
I don't think about it till meal times ,obviously i don't eat between meals but its just a habit now, if i start to feel unwell then i think cmon check ya blood,if hypo i sort it and don't think about it till the nxt meal:)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No .... The wife sorts out the food and if it's diffrent I will test at her request ... I don't even think about it .. But love popping into the forum to see unknown friends here and maby help others .. As the forums have helped me :cool:

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the answer is "It depends". After 26 years, it's part of everyday life. I test when I feel rubbish, around food, etc, I inject based on food and tests. I don't have it sitting there to worry me particularly, as there's no point!

When doing things like trying to work out why I was getting random massive hypos and settling in new Basal insulin, then I focus more on it, but there's far too much other stuff going on to spend all the time focussed on it. If you allow that to happen, you won't get on with your life.

MY exact thought......;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Certainly don't think about it all the time, but by the very nature of type 1 diabetes it does take up more of my thoughts than I would like :rolleyes:

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to be thinking about it all the time at the moment, but that's only because I'm only just back on the wagon again after falling off badly! Hope I can be less obsessed as my levels go down!

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Basically yes I'm sure I am a total bore talking about it I feel it helps getting things into perspective hopefully once I've been a diabetic a bit longer and I feel more confident about it I will not need to if you know what I mean
Love to all
Jan

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess it is in my mind a lot given that having it rules mealtimes, what I eat, how much, when etc.. Also I tend to get obsessive about things and I like coming on here and learning and chatting with fellow diabetic friends. Tbh I. The early stages it probably kept me out of the psychiatric ward and kept me married - while Mr E is supportive, he doesn't want to be bored 24/7 with a chronic illness but sometimes you do just need to talk about it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am one of life's obsessives and competitors, so since diagnosis diabetes has become my obsession and my personal competition, or should I say controlling it has. I don't worry about the future in the slightest. Complications never enter my head. I just compete with my levels, track everything I can, watch my stats and graphs go up and down, try to learn from my food diary (which I still keep after nearly 12 months), and take on board what others on here are saying or doing. To be honest, I'm loving it!

Reactions: 3 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm quite enjoying it too Bluetit :) I'd known for a long time I should be doing something about it but just couldn't get motivated, but when something grabs my attention I can become obsessive! ;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Thats my thoughts totally!!!

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Controlling ones blood glucose levels is a way of life. It presents challenges and a great deal of interest if you wish to learn about its many aspects .

I dont worry about it, been there ,done that with heart troubles for almost 26 years.

Anyway ,staying positive and looking on the bright side, is more than half the battle in overcoming obstacles

Reactions: 5 people