Saw my diabetes nurse today

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's the first time I've actually seen her so she went through my history, noting the very high HBA1C earlier this month, and giving my tips on my diet - low fat, carbs at each meal, porridge for breakfast etc, even after I told her porridge sends my levels sky high! :banghead:
I said that my levels had gone down a lot and I've lost weight, then told her I'd done it by lchf, she wasn't impressed and told me high fat it not good and went over the low fat diet I should be on!
But then she told me of a doctor she met recently who told her about the very overweight man with very high levels who he had put on a no-carb diet and who over a few months lost so much weight and went down to non-diabetic levels. So if they know this why keep on about the low fit?
I gave her a lecture on lchf, couldn't have done that before I joined this forum just a couple of weeks ago, so thank you to everyone for all the help! :cool: She sat there gobsmacked and said I should be teaching it to others, lol!
She is pleased how well I've done in such a short time though, and I've to go back in march, 8 weeks after my previous HBA1C to have another one and she said to call her if she can help at any time. Maybe I should've given her my number to call me if she needs help! :D

Reactions: 10 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Rowan for sticking to your guns. Poor nurse is only repeating what she has been trained to say, but things are changing slowly, and who knows, she may have changed her advice next time you see her. My lovely nurse told me to eat baked potatoes with baked beans for lunches. :eek: You have to feel deeply for their patients who know nothing about low carbs.

Reactions: 5 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Rowan for sticking to your guns. Poor nurse is only repeating what she has been trained to say, but things are changing slowly, and who knows, she may have changed her advice next time you see her. My lovely nurse told me to eat baked potatoes with baked beans for lunches. :eek: You have to feel deeply for their patients who know nothing about low carbs.

And guess what, that's what I had every day for my lunch for years prior to diagnosis because I thought it was a healthy option.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And guess what, that's what I had every day for my lunch for years prior to diagnosis because I thought it was a healthy option.

I had baked beans on 2 slices thick white toast with low fat spread, because I liked it and beans are healthy and 1 of my 5 a day! I have tried baked beans twice since diagnosis. Once with a normal tin and once with the low sugar variety. Both times were disasters as far as BS were concerned and there was no toast involved..

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had baked beans on 2 slices thick white toast with low fat spread, because I liked it and beans are healthy and 1 of my 5 a day! I have tried baked beans twice since diagnosis. Once with a normal tin and once with the low sugar variety. Both times were disasters as far as BS were concerned and there was no toast involved..

I haven't dared try yet. I loved both beans and baked spuds so best I just remember the good times rather than set off carb cravings.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't heard anyone who has tried or on an LCHF diet say it didn't help them lose weight and get good numbers............

its just scientific fact that will happen......

everyone can handle different things though.........and those things need to be discovered by everyone individually........

well done.......:)

Reactions: 8 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Well done @rowan , nice one :)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the first time I've actually seen her so she went through my history, noting the very high HBA1C earlier this month, and giving my tips on my diet - low fat, carbs at each meal, porridge for breakfast etc, even after I told her porridge sends my levels sky high! :banghead:
I said that my levels had gone down a lot and I've lost weight, then told her I'd done it by lchf, she wasn't impressed and told me high fat it not good and went over the low fat diet I should be on!
But then she told me of a doctor she met recently who told her about the very overweight man with very high levels who he had put on a no-carb diet and who over a few months lost so much weight and went down to non-diabetic levels. So if they know this why keep on about the low fit?
I gave her a lecture on lchf, couldn't have done that before I joined this forum just a couple of weeks ago, so thank you to everyone for all the help! :cool: She sat there gobsmacked and said I should be teaching it to others, lol!
She is pleased how well I've done in such a short time though, and I've to go back in march, 8 weeks after my previous HBA1C to have another one and she said to call her if she can help at any time. Maybe I should've given her my number to call me if she needs help! :D
Well done you!

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Top marks tom u for sticking with it★★
Sooner or l8er they will see for themselves that lchf works.
Next time I go I will for sure be taking TDs book with me, then can't dispute it in the slightest, but till they get it we just have to listern with one ear & let it float out out the other.

Reactions: 3 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't dared try yet. I loved both beans and baked spuds so best I just remember the good times rather than set off carb cravings.
I tried but couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised at the result! I've not repeated it yet so not sure whether it was a 'fluke' or not!!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone :)
I used to have porridge for breakfast, jacket spud and beans for lunch and a healthy pasta meal for dinner, all on nurses recommendations! No wonder I was out of control!
I haven't had beans since I started all this but I've bought some low sugar ones I thought would be better, I'll make sure to test before and after!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone :)
I used to have porridge for breakfast, jacket spud and beans for lunch and a healthy pasta meal for dinner, all on nurses recommendations! No wonder I was out of control!
I haven't had beans since I started all this but I've bought some low sugar ones I thought would be better, I'll make sure to test before and after!

The low sugar ones produced the same result as the normal ones for me - sky high! Let us know how you get on with them

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Well done. In all fairness, they are trained that a low fat diet is healthy and to recommend porridge for breakfast. Hopefully the recommendation of a low fat high carb diet for diabetics (and everyone) will change as more and more people demonstrate success with a LCHF diet to HCPs. My first visit with my current diabetes nurse 3 months ago included a recommendation to have porridge instead of bacon and eggs for breakfast once in a while. However, on the next visit I had my blood glucose below numbers below prediabetic levels and she didn't say anything about my diet when I went over what I was eating. When I see her again in 3 months I'm going to give her my copy of the Diet Doctor's book.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's annoying though, their advice is porridge for breakfast and change to wholemeal bread, rice, pasta and you'll be fine, condeming so mant diabetics to unnecessarily high levels and spikes.
She was also worried about the high far as my cholesterol is apparently high, can't remember exact figures but good and bad cholesterol is around 3-4 so she'll be testing them again next time.

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I now ignore my nurse and listen to the ace folks on this forum. My numbers would be scary if I hadn't found this place.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I now ignore my nurse and listen to the ace folks on this forum. My numbers would be scary if I hadn't found this place.

I think that's the best way too, just a shame it took so many years to find out!

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckily I was recommended this site by a T1 nurse while I was in hospital at diagnosis :)

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
I met up with an old friend recently who told me her husband was diagnosed 3 months ago and his bs levels had not come down despite following the nurses advice...on diet..:banghead:..I am surprised people aren't taking legal action it does seem criminal...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's annoying though, their advice is porridge for breakfast and change to wholemeal bread, rice, pasta and you'll be fine, condeming so mant diabetics to unnecessarily high levels and spikes.
She was also worried about the high far as my cholesterol is apparently high, can't remember exact figures but good and bad cholesterol is around 3-4 so she'll be testing them again next time.

Rowan, you need to ask for a print out of your blood test results. You are entitled to these. They are invaluable as you can peruse them at leisure and learn what is good and bad, and can compare your results with future ones. This is important for cholesterol, especially if they want you to go on statins and start blaming a higher fat diet for the rise.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I met up with an old friend recently who told me her husband was diagnosed 3 months ago and his bs levels had not come down despite following the nurses advice...on diet..:banghead:..I am surprised people aren't taking legal action it does seem criminal...
Yes, I'm a bit surprised no one has yet tried to sue an HCP for proferring this harmful advice. The problem seems to come from high-level trainers in and outside of the NHS and from various other organisations. As much of this harmful advice is not evidence-based I suspect it might be possible to claim damages or at least give these amateurs a run for their money and bring about faster change.