Type 1 Does anybody have experience of warfarin after bypass surgery and valve replacement?

timbo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
61 year old man Type 1 Diabetic of 43 years recently had CABG Surgery and experiencing problems with warfarin.

timbo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your curiosity. I am bleeding and bruising at insulin injection sites and various muscles after exercise.My INR is dropping week by week to the present level of 1.7.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your curiosity. I am bleeding and bruising at insulin injection sites and various muscles after exercise.My INR is dropping week by week to the present level of 1.7.
To be honest 1.7 seems a bit low - is your warfarin nurse checking it frequently? You should have been given an INR range when you had your replacement valve. My husband had an Aortic root replacement, an aortic valve replacement and a pacemaker in 2007. His levels should be between 2.5 and 3.5. He does find that this time of year it drops and his warfarin dosage is adjusted - he's on 2mgs for 5 days and 3mg for 2 days at the moment and his INR is 2.5. Unfortunately I can't help re your injection sites - it's best to discuss this with your warfarin clinic nurse and diabetic nurse/doctor because a higher INR will mean that you will have a tendency to bleed/bruise even more.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Warfarin or rat poison is a blood thinner .. You should be going back for regular blood tests untill they get the levels right for you .. I have not had this myself .. But others had when I was on my heart rehab meetings.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
To use Warfarin properly you need to control exactly the vitamin K content of you foods , especially leafy green vegetables. Because of this I switched to Pradaxa which is not influenced by vitamin K. This way I did not need to bother with the INR tests and could eat what I liked. The only negative issue for me was that it was not covered by my health fund so it cost me about $100 a month.