SD Codefree Strips - Batch ending 44

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, guys, there has been some dialogue by a few of us starting this batch, noticing erratic readings. Of course this is frustrating, and if you're me and provisioned up until the autumn, I could frankly be insane by the time I've used all the little blighters.

Anyway. To the chase.

Looking at my readings, my 7 and 14 day averages have increased by 0.4 and 0.4 respectively, which is massive for someone like me who pretty much flat lines. So I thought I'd try to garner a bit of a consensus as to what's actually happening here with others.

If you are using this batch are you noticing any swinging fluctuations, and if so, by how much. Clearly for my averages to have shifted as they have, I've had some absolute whoppers (for me), like 5.0 on fasting etc.

Could you share please?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently using batch 44. Previously batch 26.

My averages across all events (fasting, bedtime, pre and post all 3 meals) have increased by 0.3mmol/l. This would be even higher had I accepted some of the first readings taken, but because these were significantly higher than expected I re-tested and averaged or discarded.

Last night at bedtime, 5 hours after a salad, it was 6.2. My spare Accu-chek gave me 5.5. My normal average is 5.3

This morning, the average of my fasting readings was 6.0. I cross checked this with my Accu-chek and had two readings of 5.3, which is my usual average for fasting.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently using batch 44. Previously batch 26.

My averages across all events (fasting, bedtime, pre and post all 3 meals) have increased by 0.3mmol/l. This would be even higher had I accepted some of the first readings taken, but because these were significantly higher than expected I re-tested and averaged or discarded.

Last night at bedtime, 5 hours after a salad, it was 6.2. My spare Accu-chek gave me 5.5. My normal average is 5.3

This morning, the average of my fasting readings was 6.0. I cross checked this with my Accu-chek and had two readings of 5.3, which is my usual average for fasting.

Thanks Blue - I'm the same on averages, up, but not like they would be if I wasn't retesting. I'm hoping @kimbo1962 and some others might comment.

I'm thinking I need to do some additional recording to work out the true variance, so that I can settle into some form of routine again. I can't recall if you were affected by a similar situation a while ago, when we almost had to do a reading, then apply an adjustment? At that point, I sold a load of strips on eBay, to get rid of them, but that's not practical this time around.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe @Lynn1 and @brettsza are also using this batch

I remember the previous occasion when people were applying adjustments, Sanguine and Cold Ethyl were two of them. I only had the odd bad reading at that time. This is different. I am higher right across the board every time I test, yet my post meal "rises" are much as usual. I have been looking on the net, and cold weather does appear to make HbA1cs and daily levels higher, so maybe if you stabilise at your previous levels in Paradise, this may be the reason.

Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe @Lynn1 and @brettsza are also using this batch

I have been looking on the net, and cold weather does appear to make HbA1cs and daily levels higher, so maybe if you stabilise at your previous levels in Paradise, this may be the reason.

Hi Bluetit, When I just stated that my lunchtime reading was a bit high, my hands were very cold so that my have been the reason.

I will try and test more, just to get a handle on these strips.

Please note the testing I'm doing for Fasting & Metformin at Midnight http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ing-blood-glucose-in-a-morning.23574/page-719 is based on these new strips and it seems to be rising, I had better continue and see what happens.

Neil

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm somewhat peed off- just ordered 5 pots supposedly batch ending in 161. Thought I'd test one against my current( also not great batch ending in 26) - 5.4 ( 26) 6!! (161) - washed hands and retested- 5.1 and 5.4 so I thought ok- for some reason I checked the range on the new pots and the batch on the pot is 44 not 61 as on boxes- so 5 pots of rubbish strips here too- looks like they are reading at least .6 high and somewhat inconsistent. I'll be seeing how they go and knocking about .5 off. More to the point, they ought not to be in the wrong boxes either!! Makes one wonder about quality control.

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm somewhat peed off- just ordered 5 pots supposedly batch ending in 161. Thought I'd test one against my current( also not great batch ending in 26) - 5.4 ( 26) 6!! (161) - washed hands and retested- 5.1 and 5.4 so I thought ok- for some reason I checked the range on the new pots and the batch on the pot is 44 not 61 as on boxes- so 5 pots of rubbish strips here too- looks like they are reading at least .6 high and somewhat inconsistent. I'll be seeing how they go and knocking about .5 off. More to the point, they ought not to be in the wrong boxes either!! Makes one wonder about quality control.

The QC will be in Korea, not UK. When I spoke with them a while ago, about a different issue, I was told they random sample every batch they receive, but that is against acceptable parameters, not controlled bloods, which I guess is really the only way they can handle it as a distributor.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Never mind, you will be doing so much re-testing you will get through them in no time. ;):rolleyes:
Not every strip is high, but enough to be of concern.

Reactions: 5 people
A

AnnieC

Haven't got the box but the number starting SO on the pot is against the lot no which is SO314126 is that the same thing as batch no
I don't really know what people mean about the batch no. I thought that as long as they are not out of date thats was all that mattered

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Never mind, you will be doing so much re-testing you will get through them in no time. ;):rolleyes:
Not every strip is high, but enough to be of concern.

That did make me laugh. Tbh the last two batches I've had , 26 and 72 , have thrown some real wobblies. They were at least real outliers so I sort of knew to ignore them. Now I just have to hope that the higher ones aren't right.

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't got the box but the number starting SO on the pot is against the lot no which is SO314126 is that the same thing as batch no
I don't really know what people mean about the batch no. I thought that as long as they are not out of date thats was all that mattered

That's my current batch. They need to be in date but sometimes they can read higher or lower than they should as well. 26 has been a hit erratic god me but 44 is looking to be even worse for a lot of us.

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got that batch as well, had been wondering why my readings have been higher. I had 5 boxes gone through 3 already as I keep retesting.

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have the same batch number as me ordered them the week before Christmas.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got that batch as well, had been wondering why my readings have been higher. I had 5 boxes gone through 3 already as I keep retesting.

Batch 26 have been a bit erratic too for a lot of us. I rattled through my five pots. Don't think the one ending in 44 is going to be much better. I may have to buy a different meter and test with that just to see how things are comparing.

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My numbers have been higher since I started on these. I was thinking of making an appointment to see DN. I eating the same food as before Christmas, so I had convinced myself that I might need my Metformin to be higher.
I will not bother to make appointments will see what happens. Can anyone recommend a different Blood glucose tester that is not too expensive to by the test strips for.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok for anyone that's interested. I found a half used pot of an older batch I had ending in 56 in my bedroom. ( still in date)
Did three 2hr tests from same finger
Batch ending in 44 6.7
Batch ending in 56 5.7
Batch ending in 26 5.8

this last pot of the batch ending in 26 have been more consistent than previous pots and seems to align pretty nicely with the batch ending in 56 which was pretty ok for me most of the time. As can be seen 44 is quite a bit higher - I'm going to knock a minimum of .5 off and every so often run a test against the reminders of my other two batches. Given several of us have issues it's much more likely to be the strips than us.

Reactions: 6 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, think it explains why I have had some random wobbles then!! I know I haven't changed anything intake wise and my exercise has increased for sure!
What really bugs me is how it puts our averages up! Mine are normally these days in the 5's for 7, 14 and 30 days.....currently all 6 and 6.1 !! I don't like 6 - even though my dn does!!