Anyone following Dr Bernstein diabetic solution

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear, that doesn't sound good! Maybe I'll skip that bit! I'm just getting teh hang of lchf and am feeling quite positive at the moment, don't want to spoil that!

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
I just skimmed through much of his book, and was a bit bummed by how complex it seems to follow his recommendations. Not to mention the fact that the latest research out of Newcastle has confused me...rapid weight loss the key, and no dairy on that diet, other than the protein shakes - whey? I'm looking at how to find a life sustaining 'diet' for the rest of my life. Nothing suits me. Bernstein's diet, to say the least, was even more perplexing with his allowance of yoghurt, but not dairy. So, as I look at the consumption of homemade kefir, I wonder if that probiotic drink constitutes as 'yoghurt' and allowable. Anyone want to elaborate on how you feel about the Bernstein diet? A review of it is quite positive, on Diet.com

MM

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I just skimmed through much of his book, and was a bit bummed by how complex it seems to follow his recommendations. Not to mention the fact that the latest research out of Newcastle has confused me...rapid weight loss the key, and no dairy on that diet, other than the protein shakes - whey? I'm looking at how to find a life sustaining 'diet' for the rest of my life. Nothing suits me. Bernstein's diet, to say the least, was even more perplexing with his allowance of yoghurt, but not dairy. So, as I look at the consumption of homemade kefir, I wonder if that probiotic drink constitutes as 'yoghurt' and allowable. Anyone want to elaborate on how you feel about the Bernstein diet? A review of it is quite positive, on Diet.com

MM
I'm pretty sure the Professor Taylor does not say the key is rapid weight loss, just "substantial loss of weight (more than 10 kg)". His calorie restricted diet was just a way of rapidly achieving that for his controlled study, but he says that losing the weight over a longer period of time should have the same results with respect to type 2 diabetes. Have you checked out the Diet Doctor? I've been following that for a few months now and I find it very easy to follow: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I have been following Dr Bernstein's solution for 6 months now. It works for me. When he says 'no fruit, no milk' etc. it's because it raises his (and my) BG levels. I don't think dairy is banned, I eat double cream, it doesn't raise my BG levels. Like Dr B, I eat to my meter, if my meter says ok, I eat it. But all it has realy confirmed is just what he says.

But his 'solution' is not just about diet, it's about getting your BG levels down to non diabetic levels, 4.6 fasting and 5.6 2 hour after eating. He advises on Diet, exercise and medication.... Anything to get BG levels down..... It works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
NoCarbs4Me, I think that's my concern: it must be RAPID weight loss that re-sets the body's cellular response...though I'm researching online, and the site you mentioned, I believe, states it's still going to take 3-6 months. As for Bernstein's diet, it's highly recommended whereas others are criticised like Dukan's and Atkins (as a short-term thing, I'm contemplating these). I'm encouraged by the cream in coffee thing, but Bernstein states no caffeine. Hmmmm. Hmmmm. Hmmmm.

Bernstein is against dairy except for yoghurt and heavy cream in coffee/tea.

MM

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
NoCarbs4Me, I think that's my concern: it must be RAPID weight loss that re-sets the body's cellular response...though I'm researching online, and the site you mentioned, I believe, states it's still going to take 3-6 months. As for Bernstein's diet, it's highly recommended whereas others are criticised like Dukan's and Atkins (as a short-term thing, I'm contemplating these). I'm encouraged by the cream in coffee thing, but Bernstein states no caffeine. Hmmmm. Hmmmm. Hmmmm.

MM
I don't know where you got the rapid part, but it wasn't from Dr. Taylor. Many people on this forum have reversed their diabetes without rapid weight loss.

I have 3 to 4 cups of coffee a day. I think it's perfectly healthy. Trying to figure out what a healthy diet might be is not an easy task and maybe there's no best answer for all. I have been down the same path and in the end I just keep it simple: no sugar, no grains, no rice, no starchy veg, no fruit, no packaged processed food full of unpronounceable chemicals. Lots of fresh veg, meat, poultry, seafood, and full fat dairy. And coffee. Who knows - maybe I'll change my thinking in the future, but it seems to be working now.

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think the thing to take from Bernstein is the that it's okay to target non-diabetic blood glucose levels as standard and an Hba1C in the normal range.

His diet recommends some ways in which to achieve this, although it is essentially a LCHF diet. Interestingly, a lot of what he recommends is also recommended in insulin control diets used by athletes - removing caffeine and fruit and limiting dairy, as it manages the insulin response a lot better and enables those who need to to build muscle more effectively and reduce the risk of storing fat.

As it happens, it's very easy to stick to a low dairy, low carb diet. It's what I've been doing since September and it's amazing what you can do in terms of menu. It simply requires a bit of imagination and the ability to cook! I do, however, disagree with his not using butter, as you don't always want fried eggs in duck or goose fat (which are healthier at high temperatures than plant oils other than avocado tend to be).

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Just checking his book. He says butter is ok (that's good I have loads!!), and he goes on to say that 'butter is now a healthy fat'.... Although coconut oil is perhapse the healthiest of all.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I have been following Dr Bernstein's solution for 6 months now. It works for me. When he says 'no fruit, no milk' etc. it's because it raises his (and my) BG levels. I don't think dairy is banned, I eat double cream, it doesn't raise my BG levels. Like Dr B, I eat to my meter, if my meter says ok, I eat it. But all it has realy confirmed is just what he says.

But his 'solution' is not just about diet, it's about getting your BG levels down to non diabetic levels, 4.6 fasting and 5.6 2 hour after eating. He advises on Diet, exercise and medication.... Anything to get BG levels down..... It works for me.
Same here, his recommendations and advice work very well for me,and his bs level's are difficult ......but attainable with care, we are privelidged to get his help and advice ::))

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
.......although it is essentially a LCHF diet.
I agree, but I was on a LcHf diet before I started on the Dr Bernstein's solution, within a week my BG levels dropped 30%, and have stayed that way.... I also see it as sustainable for life.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have just starting reading Bernstein book and its scaring the bejeezus out of me. I felt quite positive about controlling my diabetes until I started reading it, and even though he says a lot of the complications can be avoided, I still feel I'm staring disaster in the face a few years down the line. I've put it away for now as I think I've got enough to come to terms with. I'm keeping my carbs low, or trying to anyway, and have just received my glucometer so have started testing before and after meals. I might return to it at a later date when I feel more confident.

I know just how you feel Killerkaz - I had a similar reaction when I read it soon after I was diagnosed. The targets seemed WAY out of my league. I've read the scary stuff so many times now I've gotten a bit blase about the complications (kind of) (OK - not!) But I just skip the complications list when reading the lit - we know it already - right? Why rub our noses in it again. (Yeah - I know each book needs to make that stuff clear. But that doesn't change what it can be like for us reading it.)

I got quite freaked out by the beta cells dying thing, and went to sleep at night petrified at the idea of my last living beta cells in my poor beleaguered pancreas breathing their last, drowning in a sea of blood glucose..... I think I dealt with the anxiety by walking. And walking. And then walking some more. That helped the anxiety AND lowered the blood glucose - luckily a win win :). I think I also looked for evidence, in online scientific papers - that there is a good chance that pancreas function can be vastly improved by diet and exercise/lifestyle changes. Even without metformin. And there is plenty of such evidence. Dr Bernstein's IS a diabetic's bible, but if it made you feel that way I think you did exactly the right thing - set it aside to read it again at a later date.

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know just how you feel Killerkaz - I had a similar reaction when I read it soon after I was diagnosed. The targets seemed WAY out of my league. I've read the scary stuff so many times now I've gotten a bit blase about the complications (kind of) (OK - not!) But I just skip the complications list when reading the lit - we know it already - right? Why rub our noses in it again. (Yeah - I know each book needs to make that stuff clear. But that doesn't change what it can be like for us reading it.)

I got quite freaked out by the beta cells dying thing, and went to sleep at night petrified at the idea of my last living beta cells in my poor beleaguered pancreas breathing their last, drowning in a sea of blood glucose..... I think I dealt with the anxiety by walking. And walking. And then walking some more. That helped the anxiety AND lowered the blood glucose - luckily a win win :). I think I also looked for evidence, in online scientific papers - that there is a good chance that pancreas function can be vastly improved by diet and exercise/lifestyle changes. Even without metformin. And there is plenty of such evidence. Dr Bernstein's IS a diabetic's bible, but if it made you feel that way I think you did exactly the right thing - set it aside to read it again at a later date.
Glad someone else feels the same way. However I have read Dr David Cavan's book reverse your diabetes and that is very inspiring.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes - I really liked that book too (although he doesn't really approve of some things that I am really into - like paleo and a DIY Newcastle diet - he still manages to say his no to them with a lot of respect - and that is good indeed.) I really liked Dr Mark Hyman's The Blood Sugar Solution. It's a bit 'American ra-ra' at times, ok - at the beginning of every chapter - but has a really great diagram at the centre of it - the seven keys to curing diabetes is a very pleasing large orange flower. Way cool!

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes - I really liked that book too (although he doesn't really approve of some things that I am really into - like paleo and a DIY Newcastle diet - he still manages to say his no to them with a lot of respect - and that is good indeed.) I really liked Dr Mark Hyman's The Blood Sugar Solution. It's a bit 'American ra-ra' at times, ok - at the beginning of every chapter - but has a really great diagram at the centre of it - the seven keys to curing diabetes is a very pleasing large orange flower. Way cool!
Sounds good I'll look for that one

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh! It is 'The Seven Keys to Curing DIABESITY' - sorry about that. (And apologies to all the skinny diabetics out there! For that combo of words.) (It's still a nice orange flower graphic though!)

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows

MM
but Bernstein states no caffeine. Not true.
“remember there are no diabetes prohibitions on coffe or tea”

Reactions: dbr10

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Wow.... I started this thread 3 years and 37 weeks ago.... still following his diet / solution. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to keep their BG levels under control. It works.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been following Bernstein essentials for 12 years. I'm not doing it to the letter, but with a biology degree, I understand the principles. So I do eat carrots, tomatoes and peppers! I tried the Da vinci syrups some ears ago and found them just horrible. If I use a sweetener, I use Erythritol or Xylitol in cooking and Hermesetas in my coffee.
I use fresh whole ingredients. Nothing from packets. I'm still still keeping my Bs around 5 - 6 pretty much all the time with the help of 2 x 500mg Metformin SR.
I eat enough salad to annoy any rabbits and I'm down about 3 stones from where I started a few years back and still trying to get that last 1.5 stones off.
In general, I keep fit and well.
Bernstein WORKS!
Hana
Just wondering if you find, like me, that on lchf your body needs more insulin than previously to deal with protein? Exercise is tricky for me too (gluconeogenisis kicks in and I find it counterintuitive to bolus for weight lifting).
Also you mention metformin but are you type 1?? I ask because I hear type 1s can be insulin resistant eventually and was once offered metformin although I am not overweight and do not use much insulin (24u of humalog daily). Btw I am enjoying reading a book recommended on this forum The Ketogenic Diet for Type 1 Diabetes By Ellen Davis and Keith Runyan (the latter is a type 1 US MD) as I find Bernstein's tone a little crotchety (and the book to be very American in its references) when I see him on YouTube but do admire what he did despite the conventional dogma. He is a real heroe!