Food ideas

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I have posted about this before so sorry
I am due to be starting lambing this week. Basically active all day, I will start with a good breakfast - porridge. Am thinking to take foodwise- apple, banana, oatcake/rice cake, soup or sandwich for lunch. It may sound daft but don't want to overload on the carbs (I know banana is quite carby but good for energy) any other ideas as to what I could have. Will be reducing my TBR to around 50% mark
Thanks

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi
I have posted about this before so sorry
I am due to be starting lambing this week. Basically active all day, I will start with a good breakfast - porridge. Am thinking to take foodwise- apple, banana, oatcake/rice cake, soup or sandwich for lunch. It may sound daft but don't want to overload on the carbs (I know banana is quite carby but good for energy) any other ideas as to what I could have. Will be reducing my TBR to around 50% mark
Thanks
As you have a pump you don't have to eat if you are to busy or just don't want to.
All I used to do was set the basal back a bit and had glucose in pocket just I case to busy to stop. If on the top fields away from home for the day then a ruck sack with grub in was fine. Always had a flask of lambs milk for any that needed it :)

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Today I took an apple & cheese, quite a few blueberries & sachet of heinz chicken soup. Had a busyish day, home now & I'm hungry! The half malt loaf in back cupboard is looking very tempting but will try to avoid

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A good thick vegetable soup in a Thermos Flask would be ideal for working outdoors :)

Reactions: 2 people

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes that's an òption, was also thinking about cooking up chicken pieces & broccoli night before & that could be a good, healthy low carb lunch

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes that's an òption, was also thinking about cooking up chicken pieces & broccoli night before & that could be a good, healthy low carb lunch

Sounds good, the good thing about making soup is you can throw anything into the mix, add a few cloves of garlic to keep the cold away :)

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Will try it, thank you. Also going to get some cashew & almond nuts. I know it's more carbs but still going to take banana, need it for energy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Will try it, thank you. Also going to get some cashew & almond nuts. I know it's more carbs but still going to take banana, need it for energy

I eat a banana everyday, they are a powerhouse of nutrition, better to go for the green unripe ones than the ones that are overripe, they have less of an impact on bg levels.

Also don't forget about using seeds, pumpkin seeds have a nice nutty taste to them.

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having gone lambing for many years myself (although I was on MDI) I would say have as much food with you as possible, also lucozade etc dotted around the farm/sugar tablets in your pocket. Nothing worse than being half way across the farm when your sugar supply's are in the office.
Mostly enjoy lambing, I miss it very much!