Question from a newbie .....

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all

Firstly, I've only been here a day or so but I'd really like to thank everyone who has replied to my questions & posts, both for myself and my wife.

Whilst my experience hasn't quite been "yep, type 2, get on with it" the myriad of questions one has aren't always answered (even if you can think to ask them at the right time)

Yet this resource, accessible 24/7 with many other people in a similar 'boat' (not to mention further downstream and with a lot more experience) is quite simply wonderful and I can't thank enough those who have and continue to answer my questions, allay my fears and just plain be helpful.

Now the question:

A lot of you, in the many posts I've read, talk about self testing yet this hasn't been offered to me as a newly diagnosed T2, though that said, one of my readings is way too high so they're about to start me on another additional agent (dunno which one)

That said, should I go any buy myself a self tester pin prick thingy ? If so, which one would anyone advise ?

Are they all the 'same' (ie use the same strips) or are strips specific to a device ??

Thank in advance for any replies - most sincerely !! ---- Now I'm on here I don't feel I'm as lost as I did before

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi and welcome from me.

The testing strips are specific to the meter so are not interchangeable.

Many people here use the Codefree, as it is a cheap option. Whilst meters are relatively cheap, the testing strips are mostly expensive. The Codfree also charge less for bulk buys of testing strips. @bluetit may be able to furnish you with the codes needed at the checkout for the bulk buys.

http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

Reactions: 8 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome from me.

The testing strips are specific to the meter so are not interchangeable.

Many people here use the Codefree, as it is a cheap option. Whilst meters are relatively cheap, the testing strips are mostly expensive. The Codfree also charge less for bulk buys of testing strips. @bluetit may be able to furnish you with the codes needed at the checkout for the bulk buys.

http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

Thank you Catherine - cost isn't really an issue ..... I gave up smoking cigarettes last year and am saving £400 a month :)

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again,

Yes, you must buy a finger prick thingy ;) otherwise known as a meter! The Codefree is as good as any other meter, and the strips are the cheapest you will find. They are also an excellent company to deal with, and fast deliveries. Cost does become an issue for everyone because you use so many strips.

Well done on giving up the ciggies.

Reactions: 4 people

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Definitely buy a meter, its the only way you can manage your diabetes yourself:)
welcome btw

Reactions: 4 people

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on giving up the ciggies I did it 7 yrs ago how time flies

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was given a Bayer Contour Next meter when I was diagnosed in hospital but my local doctors surgery said testing was a knee jerk reaction from the hospital they couldn't afford to give out test strips
I buy mine of eBay usually around £9 for 50 instead of the £25 for 50 the chemists are charging testing is the only way I know what is going on in my body I'm still testing before and after meals until I have more idea of how my body reacts to different foods
This site is the place to be people are so friendly and I think they know more than the medical profession

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This site is the place to be people are so friendly and I think they know more than the medical profession

Yes miss, I've already figured that out - certainly compared to my Practice Nurse who had the 'bedside manner' Freddie Kruger would be proud of !!!

I've filled out the form on Bayers website and had a confirmation that they'll send me a Contour USB thingy in the next 3 weeks. The tip about eBay is excellent as well, thank you.

Certainly a lot to take in but don't feel as overwhelmed as I did a week ago thanks to the many nice messages & helpful replies from really genuine people on here - thank you all, so much