Quick Question before Doc appt later.

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello i have been taking Linagliptin and gliclazide for the past 3 months, previously i was on victoza which worked brill. I was took off Victoza as the doc felt it had done its work but since then I have gained weight even though i don't eat big amounts still, my blood sugars are erratic again, my meter says my 30 day average is 8.8 mmol and I get readings over between 7 - 13 quite often. I am going the doctors later to ask if i can go back to victoza as its been the only medication so far that kept me level.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has come off victoza and found similar problems and if so did you go back on it. I was given the linagliptin as the doc said it worked similar to victoza but it hasnt so far and i feel really fed up.

Thx

Shirl

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My guess is cost........ seems odd to have taken you off of something that was working otherwise. Fight your corner.

Ali

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Is your diet a low-carb one? I'm not sure I would say that Linagliptin works like Victoza. The gliptin family are DPP-4 inhibitors that supress an enzyme that in turn supresses insulin output after a meal hence with the gliptins insulin output lasts for longer after a meal. I think the Victoza mechanism is different and is best for those withe excess weight. The gliptins are best for those who probably don't have excess weight.

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya no i dont low carb but i am on a low cal diet and dont eat any diary products

Docotr has now put me on Lyxumia which i start tomorrow, The GLP1's have been the best meds i have tried so far. I lost weight but it also kept my blood sugars level with no spikes for nearly so hopefully this will work as well