slimming world

seancreoleg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
started slimming world 3 weeks ago was on novamix 30 ,30 in morning and 24 in evening have lost 12lb since then. after 1st week noticed dramatic results in blood sugars dropping from an average of 10 down to around 4 had to make appointment with my diabetic nurse who dropped dose to 15 morning and 12 evening,happy days back a week later dropped to 10 morning none in evening,went back yesterday and have been completely taken of my insulin and will get a blood test in 4 weeks to see how everything is going.been type 2 for 8 years
i was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience

Reactions: 9 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that is great news, reducing carbs is the way to go. :) you have to be feeling 20 yrs younger
there are a few low carb diets that are used on the forum..it's a matter of finding whats best for you.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Talking about slimming clubs. Have you seen the new weight watchers advert. Just can't believe they want to make people ill. They show 3 weight loss plans, the 1st is increased carbs, how is that suppose to work, it's most likely carbs as the reason people are going to them. Derrrr.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fantastic result :)

My wife did the Slimming World diet a few years back and lost 3 stones, there was a chap with type 2 on the course and he lost 5 stone, I suppose if you can adapt the diet to your own dietary needs then you can reap the rewards, well done again Seancreoleg.

Reactions: 5 people

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
started slimming world 3 weeks ago was on novamix 30 ,30 in morning and 24 in evening have lost 12lb since then. after 1st week noticed dramatic results in blood sugars dropping from an average of 10 down to around 4 had to make appointment with my diabetic nurse who dropped dose to 15 morning and 12 evening,happy days back a week later dropped to 10 morning none in evening,went back yesterday and have been completely taken of my insulin and will get a blood test in 4 weeks to see how everything is going.been type 2 for 8 years

That's excellent results in such a short time!!! Well Done! :)

I tried following SW green plan a few years ago but only managed to lose a few pounds.

Would you care to share what slimming world plan you're following and what's your menu's like please?

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost 3 stone with Slimming World 17 years ago (!) on Green (Carbohydrate) Plan. It worked so well for me and I felt very healthy. Red (protein) days seemed to halt my weight loss completely for the week. Of course, I later put the weight back on and yoyoed many times over the years. I did wonder if the carbohydrate bias of that diet screwed my metabolysm though.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. As you adapt to new foods with lower carbs you should find that you no longer need to use Slimming World and it's associated cost unless you need the discipline that it can provide. Just keep the carbs down and pretty well have anything else you want within reason.

G

graj0

Slimming World, let's not forget:

Weight Watchers
Tesco Diets
Tesco Health and Wellbeing
Rachel Ricketts
Rosemary Conley
Fat Fighters
TrimDownClub

The list goes on, and they all do a pretty good job at advising, encouraging, educating people on what is considered to be a sensible diet. For a lot of people eating carbs isn't a problem but if you're diabetic, this may not be the case.

slimmingworld_zpsjol4rrhr.jpg

This is from the Slimming World website and that looks suspiciously like a bowl of spuds and although that might be OK for some, I reckon that would cause diabetics a bit of a problem.

I think it's fair to say that if anyone had achieved success with controlling their BG by following any particular brand of slimming club, you would probably have found a thread or two shouting the benefits of that club. As has already been mentioned, cutting carbs is in essence the essential component of eating sensibly and cutting carbs cost nothing.

Don't get me wrong, well done on the weight loss and being able to ditch the insulin, great result. I would suggest that it's cutting carbs that has achieved that result, not Slimming World. In fact, I've just looked at the free 7 day menu and I find it very hard to believe that any diabetic would lower their BG eating that. In fact, do people lose weight on that. I'd be interested in what other forum members think, because I would not be able to lose weight eating this lot, especially as the instructions are that you can eat as much of the stuff in bold letters as you like, it's a wind up isn't it?

Day one
Full English
Help yourself to a huge bowl of refreshing orange and grapefruit segments, then enjoy a breakfast for a king – lean grilled bacon, grilled tomatoes, baked beans, eggs, mushrooms and potatoes all cooked with low calorie oil spray (less than one calorie per spray) and 1 slice wholemeal toast from a thick-cut 800g loaf to soak it all up.

Ham roll-ups
Spread slices of honey-roast ham with 6 Extra Light Laughing Cow Triangles and roll each one up into a sausage shape. Enjoy with loads of lean cold cuts of meat, pickled onions and beetroot, cucumber and carrot sticks, and a mixed-leaf salad drizzled with fat-free vinaigrette.

Cottage pie
search.jpg
Enjoy lashings of cottage pie with leeks, carrots and peas. For pud, enjoy a bowl of fat free natural yogurt drizzled with runny honey (1 Syn per level teaspoon) and dotted with fresh raspberries.

Snacks: wherever, whenever and however much you like!
Crab sticks, slices of cooked chicken, fat free natural cottage cheese mixed with prawns and grated apple.

- See more at: http://www.slimmingworld.com/healthy-eating/non-vegetarian/day-1.aspx#sthash.Afu6Z1bQ.dpuf

Reactions: 2 people

seancreoleg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's excellent results in such a short time!!! Well Done! :)

I tried following SW green plan a few years ago but only managed to lose a few pounds.

Would you care to share what slimming world plan you're following and what's your menu's like please?
extra easy plan,make slimming world chips,porridge in morning,
love this one but use egg noodles
This Thai one-pan noodle dish is ready in around 20 minutes. When fast food tastes this good, who needs a takeaway?

ingredients
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
  • 4cm piece root ginger, peeled and finely grated
  • 1-2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
  • 6 spring onions, cut into 2.5cm lengths
  • 75ml vegetable stock
  • 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
  • ¼ tsp sweetener (optional)
  • 2 carrots, peeled and cut into fine matchsticks
  • 200g mangetout, thinly sliced
  • 250g bean sprouts
  • 250g dried flat medium rice noodles
  • 1 egg,lightly beaten
method
  1. Put the garlic, ginger, red chillies, spring onions, stock, soy sauce and sweetener (if using) in a large frying pan sprayed with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Heat gently for 4-5 minutes.
  2. Turn the heat to high and add the vegetables. Stir-fry for 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender.
  3. Prepare the noodles according to the packet instructions, drain and add to the vegetable mixture in the frying pan over a high heat. Drizzle over the beaten egg, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the egg is just cooked through.
  4. Serve straight away with a wedge of lime for extra zing!

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Hello and welcome , great to hear about your success , that is wonderful ...congratulations ...

Hope you can share some more ideas and recipes with us ....varied diets on here so all information helps ...thanks and best wishes ...Kat

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

extra easy plan,make slimming world chips,porridge in morning,
love this one but use egg noodles
This Thai one-pan noodle dish is ready in around 20 minutes. When fast food tastes this good, who needs a takeaway?

ingredients
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
  • 4cm piece root ginger, peeled and finely grated
  • 1-2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
  • 6 spring onions, cut into 2.5cm lengths
  • 75ml vegetable stock
  • 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
  • ¼ tsp sweetener (optional)
  • 2 carrots, peeled and cut into fine matchsticks
  • 200g mangetout, thinly sliced
  • 250g bean sprouts
  • 250g dried flat medium rice noodles
  • 1 egg,lightly beaten
method
  1. Put the garlic, ginger, red chillies, spring onions, stock, soy sauce and sweetener (if using) in a large frying pan sprayed with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Heat gently for 4-5 minutes.
  2. Turn the heat to high and add the vegetables. Stir-fry for 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender.
  3. Prepare the noodles according to the packet instructions, drain and add to the vegetable mixture in the frying pan over a high heat. Drizzle over the beaten egg, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the egg is just cooked through.
  4. Serve straight away with a wedge of lime for extra zing!
Sounds lovely I make mine with lots of tufu and mushrooms ...similar and very nice ...