Overwhelmed.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive been doing really well since I was diagnosed. Lchf, weightloss and exercise. But im having a rough few days with it. So fed up with it all, im essentially having a tantrum.
How does everyone else cope? Do I just need to man up? I think my main issue is craving bad food. :(:banghead:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eat cheese.

Don't mean that frivolously. What is the most delicious cheesy indulgence? Roquefort? Cheddar? Primula spread?

Forget the calorie, just enjoy. With celery, stuffed in peppers, on low carb toast, scattered over veg...

And if cheese isn't your thing, then go for coffee or a low carb hot choc, with cream
Or steak and salad...

The message I'm sending is that carb cravings drop dead with the generous application of fat and/or protein. BG stabilises. The mind clears. The distraction ends.

But if you are experiencing carb cravings now, then maybe you need to drop your carb intake a bit, because you could have strayed back above your personal carb threshold (the point at which the cravings start up again...)

Reactions: 6 people

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Im not eating any carbs at the moment..Only from milk, cups of tea etc. Ice been doing this for nearly a month. Maybe Im just not getting enough?
Mind you I went to the pub and had like 5 beers on friday lol but other than that..

Going to make a little fathead pizza. See if that helps.

Thanks guys x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What
Are you actually eating?

You do need to ensure your body is getting its essential nutrients amd minerals.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most eggs, bacon, pork and chicken. I really hate veg and ive tried hard to eat it but :yuck: I can tolerate peas. Im finding it hard.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as DD said, maybe you aren't eating enough and it's actual hunger.
I would eat lots of non starch veg and salad, normal protein with fats and oils.
also you may need to add salt to your diet because junk/processed foods use to supply this.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It'll be the beer that sent you off track.
Very high carb (beer bellies are partly visceral fat caused by fatty livers!)
And beer is laughingly known as 'liquid bread'.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news... :(

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most eggs, bacon, pork and chicken. I really hate veg and ive tried hard to eat it but :yuck: I can tolerate peas. Im finding it hard.
be careful you don't eat too much protein..but force yourself to eat veg and salad every day..in 60 days your taste will change and you will come to like it. google it..it really does change.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Please be aware that you need other foods besides just meat to give you all round nutrition.

If not liking veg n salad.. Well to be honest you need to add a slice or two back in of fortified bread or fortified cereals...this means that they have added in vitamins of some description.

Your current eating plan is not sustainable on a long term basis. You are setting yourself up to fail... And you are experiencing this now...

Please get a multivitamin atleast to take each day.

You cannot cut your food to such limitting meats if you are not eating fruit, veg or salads.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will try harder! Ive always had a very bad outlook when it comes to food. I know no one is suited to diabetes but I really am not!

My diet sends my oh insane.

I had some ham and im feeling better now. Making this pizza with peppers on it...

I know ive gone extreme with it but I really wanted to get my bg readings down. They were averaging 13 before. Now 7.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will try harder! Ive always had a very bad outlook when it comes to food. I know no one is suited to diabetes but I really am not!

My diet sends my oh insane.

I had some ham and im feeling better now. Making this pizza with peppers on it...

I know ive gone extreme with it but I really wanted to get my bg readings down. They were averaging 13 before. Now 7.
it's good for you and filling but you don't have to eat a lot of veg..there is a lot to it but..eskimo eat fat and protein on the ice ok..but it's more fat than protein. 80% fat 20% protein

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Carbs aren't necessary I agree, but a balance of vitamins and nutrients is. The persons you listed like eskimo's eat/ate the who animal.. Ie heart, liver etc so got varying nutrients. If you can't get all your nutrients from meat and don't eat veg then you have got to get a balance from elsewhere.

Ie berries and cream for breakfast... Or a fortified creal or a slice of toast with peanut butter.

A balance of vitamins and nutrients is essential and it has to be sustainable on a long term basis.

What meds are you on?

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive had a fair amount of cream actually. With splenda and this sugar free, calorie and carb free maple syrup. Quite nice.

Im on metformin 2000mg

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rough days will come and go, as for coping I remind myself to look forward to a new healthy future and the benefits of a healthy lifestyle.