Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
hi all, bit concerned.

I have been on 40mg Pantoprazole for ages but the last few days I have had horrid heartburn. I didn't think you should get this while on the drug but I did have a meal last Friday that was spicier than I like but wouldn't think I would still be suffering this far on.

Am on it for acid reflux and to protect against other meds though I have been on Co-Codamol for a few days for back pain.

Should I be worried I wonder? Over the years I have moved from Ranitidine to Omeprazole to Lanzoprazole and finally to Pantprazole.

I have had three scopes put down in three yrs and they always say it's too much acid, hence the meds.

I have an apt with GP next week but wanted to discuss my back and neck pain along with gen fatigue so can't really moan about this as well. Feel like I am falling apart at the moment.

Very stressed out generally and battling my Diabetes, it's my deceased sons birthday next week so am feeling fragile anyway.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Discuss this with your gp Geminigirl, they are the best people to advise you further.

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Thanks. I know I need to, suppose I was hoping someone else would have had same prob and that it cleared up!

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Stress can trigger heartburn. I think you might have answered your own question. I have never lost a child but have relatives and a friend that have. They still grieve every year at birthdays, and one suffers greatly with stress related conditions.
Like noble head has already said, go and speak to your GP about it.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Firstly very sorry to hear about all your stress and the death of your son ((((((((((hugs))))))))))))
Did your meal contain gluten and or wheat? I ask because you might have a gluten intolerance. This wouldn't show on blood tests or a scope. Lactose can cause the same problems.
As others have said though GP would be first port of call.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi geminigirl
i currently take 40mg omprezole am and 40mg pm for hiatus hernia and oesaphagitis. this was diagnosed last october following a camera exam.
i am mentioning this as we think it may have been caused by 18 years of a daily aspirin that has deteriorated my throat lining etc.

do you take any other meds for prevention of diabetes complications later in life as that was why i took the aspirin ?
and stress always is a big factor with digestion issues and your son passing away must bother you all the time.

completely agree with all posters that you should tell your gp as soon as though

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello geminigirl.
welcome to the forum.
Sorry you are not well,and about your son,must be hard for you.
I used to get a lot of hartburn and took a lot og Gaviscon,but I have never had it since I went low carb.
Hope you soon feel beter.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nowadays I rarely eat wheat. But every time I do, the heartburn strikes when I go to bed that night...

I never noticed the connection til I went very low carb, because that is when the bread completely went off the menu.

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Hi all, thanks for all your advice, seen GP today. He thinks it's the statin, I was changed from Simvastatin to Atorvastatin four months ago by another GP and heartburn apart I am aching all over, my joints are sore and I have a sore mouth and throat and feel lethargic. Having a battery of blood tests done tomorrow.

I had to give up driving the other day ad my ankles and knees were so sore.

My last endoscopy and colonoscopy were fine and my thyroid med is right dosage.

He was concerned that I am also having regular hypos on this Glimperide 4mg if I go too long between meals.

I am constantly hungry and am a comfort eater, have a yeast infection under my boobs and under tummy where skin touches. so he has given me a barrier cream and anti bacterial/ fungal cream and a powder.

So, he is checking liver and kidney function and my cholesterol and is stopping statin for now with a view to restarting Simvastatin.

I am also quite depressed so agreed to see him regularly for updates, lovely doctor so will try to stick with him.

Feel I have some answers and that I am not going doolally.

Reactions: 2 people

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Meant to add, have also had ringing in ears and bad heads!

Galathea

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Statins and thyroid meds together are not really recommended, because there is more chance of you getting problems with aching, damaged muscles . Here is a link to a paper which tells you about it... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1949076/

Too much acid is not usually associated with hypothyroidism..... Its often too little acid which causes problems. The symptoms of low acid are often mistaken for high.... http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/06/hypochlorhydria-3-common-signs-of-low-stomach-acid/

Xx. G.