Under 40's Type 2 Ladies???

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have little insulin resistance if any. Metformin and low carb didn't work neither did Gliclazide as I pretty sure my own insulin production is not good...I suspect I'm LADA just need the blood tests to prove it x

There is another person in the Bernstein's thread that is a LADA, but is male. It seems it works for him as he has avoided the injections. But who knows, we are all sooo different. Although I believe for a big proportion of people low carb will and do work, there most likely are those for whom it doesn't and it should be utterly frustrating to keep hearing on and on about it :(.

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat lowish carb. I'm not overweight either...I could lose a few pounds bit not enough to make a difference and i believe I have little insulin resistance as proven by the metformin not working :(

Some body mentioned beta cell burnout in another thread. That could explain why certain people don't get the benefits of a low carb diet, I don't know anything about it, but got me thinking...

pinkiepunksmummy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Peanut Butter!
Hi, I am 37 and was diagnosed Type 2 almost two years ago.
I am taking 1x Gliclazide per day. I stick to under 100g of carbs a day, if I go too low then my blood sugar drops below 3 and I feel awful :(

I was on Metformin, but it gave me terrible stomach problems, which got much worse when my GP upped the dose to 3 tablets per day. I was also put on Ramipril tablets when diagnosed, but have become allergic to them so have had to stop taking them - protein in urine and blood pressure being monitored instead.
Also, I am allergic to statins, my GP wants me on them, I don't want to put up with the side effects (ranging from intense itching to vomiting) so we have agreed that I can watch my diet instead......cholesterol was 5.5 at last check, apparently it should be below 5 for a diabetic.

I had three grandparents who were diabetic (all type 2) but no-one else in the family. I am really annoyed that I got it, my diet is really good, always has been really, always cook from scratch, only have take-aways twice a year, plenty of veg, good balanced diet.......I don't drink pop/eat pies like the Daily Mail thinks all Type 2's do! My two brothers on the other hand, eat ****, drink and smoke, but me, having taken good care of myself have asthma, serious allergies IBS and now diabetes - it's not fair! (Light hearted rant, I wouldn't wish Diabetes on anyone :) )

Reactions: 2 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am 37 and was diagnosed Type 2 almost two years ago.
I am taking 1x Gliclazide per day. I stick to under 100g of carbs a day, if I go too low then my blood sugar drops below 3 and I feel awful :(

I was on Metformin, but it gave me terrible stomach problems, which got much worse when my GP upped the dose to 3 tablets per day. I was also put on Ramipril tablets when diagnosed, but have become allergic to them so have had to stop taking them - protein in urine and blood pressure being monitored instead.
Also, I am allergic to statins, my GP wants me on them, I don't want to put up with the side effects (ranging from intense itching to vomiting) so we have agreed that I can watch my diet instead......cholesterol was 5.5 at last check, apparently it should be below 5 for a diabetic.

I had three grandparents who were diabetic (all type 2) but no-one else in the family. I am really annoyed that I got it, my diet is really good, always has been really, always cook from scratch, only have take-aways twice a year, plenty of veg, good balanced diet.......I don't drink pop/eat pies like the Daily Mail thinks all Type 2's do! My two brothers on the other hand, eat ****, drink and smoke, but me, having taken good care of myself have asthma, serious allergies IBS and now diabetes - it's not fair! (Light hearted rant, I wouldn't wish Diabetes on anyone :) )

I just posted a reply in another thread related to the fact that diabetes runs in my dad's side of the family too, heavily so (my nan, dad, and his three sisters, plus other extended family members), yes is a bummer... I know :(, one of my brothers is tall and slim and always ate whatever whenever, however he is now developing the belly... something that he didn't have in the past when he was younger so he might be catching up with me, my younger brother however, its pretty much like me.

100grms of carbs would be a lot for me. Did you ever took metformin SR (Slow Release) I don't tolerate the standard one.

I know what you mean about your diet been good, mine has always mostly been good too by general standards, I was vegetarian for a few years, very little processed foods, no saturated fats, but carbs, starches, and sugar, are evil to me even in small amounts.

Maybe you could consider lowering your carbs by increasing vegs and reducing starches? Not necessarily go too down on them, but getting rid of the worse offenders?

I realize now that wheat sends me really high (to the double figures if enough of it), but not so boiled sweet potato for instance and I am happy with boiled sweet potatoes although right this moment I am not including them in my meals.

Thanks for sharing though, it's great to see people in thread with so many different circumstances and we might if anything, support each other :)