carbs

Powerlifter!

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I'm fairly newly diagnosed 6 months ago ish but still very confused how many carbs I can have like when I've read 50g/day is good does that mean if say Weetabix is 70g in 100g if you had half a Weetabix would your total of carbs so far be 35?
I'm sorry to be so thick but I'm very confused. I have always eaten wholegrain everything for the fibre content to reduce the risk of bowel cancer?

Thank you

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi everyone, I'm fairly newly diagnosed 6 months ago ish but still very confused how many carbs I can have like when I've read 50g/day is good does that mean if say Weetabix is 70g in 100g if you had half a Weetabix would your total of carbs so far be 35?
I'm sorry to be so thick but I'm very confused. I have always eaten wholegrain everything for the fibre content to reduce the risk of bowel cancer?

Thank you

Have you weighed a weetabix?? I thought 2 weetabix works out to be 26g of carbs?? Then you add on milk.

I don't eat them so don't go by my figures 100%...

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you

No, they are 70g per 100g. So you would need to weigh one and see how many grams it is, then do the maths. Then add the carbs in the milk you add.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The amount of carbs you eat is a personal thing, some can tolerate more than others. here is a general guide:

Moderate carbohydrate: 130 to 225g of carbs
Low carbohydrate: under 130g of carbs
Very low carbohydrate: under 30g of carbs

Personally I try to keep my carbs to about 90g a day 30g x 3 meals, but I'm only 1 month into my diagnosis so reducing them slowly.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Its the same with most packet food lely...they give the amount of carbs per 100g, then usually the amount in a serving, and it will say how much a serving is, ie one biscuit, one Weetabix. If they don't give the amount in a serving, weigh it and work it out as others above have said. Good luck!

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat 2 weetabix and semi skim milk every morning for brekki. If you look on packet it shows average serving which is 26 carb, then just add your milk, I reckon about 33 in total for me!

Powerlifter!

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your advice, so everything you eat you have to work out how many carbs you've had and keep it below those numbers Daks mentioned? So confusing

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have to low carb. I don't need to count, maybe if I was really defining my intake, that feels like being obsessive. To me if I know I'm not eating a lot of carbs why get worried at the odd carb up or down.
It is not an exact science, you just have to be careful In your calculations but approximates are fine.

I get all my carbs from vegetables. And the low few in proteins.
I have become reliant on my meter rather than my mathematics!

Reactions: 3 people