Omnipod Users any advice welcome

Tukella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been on the Omnipod for over a year now and at present struggling with everything! As explained in my previous post 'Starting Over' I always put my diabetes last! Has anyone any advice when using the Omnipod? Also any sites other than legs tum n bum?? I was having to change it every two days when sited on my bum as the site got sore and basically could have done dot to dot with all the mark!

All advice welcome x

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You can also use your arms and lower back, basically any place where you would normally inject insulin.

I wonder if your having a reaction to the cannula if your sore at the infusion site? When I read the book Pumping Insulin the author was saying that sometimes red marks and soreness at the infusion site can be down to a Staph Infection which is treatable by antibiotics, but if your having difficulties with your control then you should contact your pump nurse who will help address them for you, or for anything technical you can contact the Ypsomed Care line, the number for the care-line is on the back of the PDM.

Tukella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never thought of trying my back might try it next! Are you on a Omnipod ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never thought of trying my back might try it next! Are you on a Omnipod ?

Yes I am, I like it but have never used a pump before so have nothing to compare it with, decided to opt for the Omnipod as it is a tubeless pump.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Where to start?....
Generally - Negative people, narrow minded people, being lied to or patronised, prejudice.....oh and poor customer service and black pudding!
Diabetes wise - hypos, hypers, every health issue being automatically linked to diabetes (even pre-existing ones).....chalky glucose tablets.
Hi there, I've been on the Omnipod for a couple of years, and before that I was on Animas tubed pump for another couple of years. Following from Noblehead's post - (I'm by no means an expert on diabetes and pumps), but I do have experience of these two different types of pumps.

Both had pro's and cons, but personally I far prefer the tubeless Omnipod, which incorporates BG monitor, which the ANIMAS didn't. So less kit to carry around. Omnipod test strips also require smaller blood sample than other meters I have used. And of course, with a tubeless pump you don't have to worry about 'air bubbles' in the tubing, which were a problem, particularly as it wasn't easy to see if you had them with the ANIMAS pump, so could get BG spikes. As long as you ensure you get bubbles out when filling the syringe for the Omnipod, I think that's the only potential problem

Both pumps had similar functions from what I remember (extended bolus, food diaries, charts showing trends). I find the Omnipod menu a lot easier and quicker to navigate around (The Animas pump I had didn't have a 'back' button - again only minor niggle but all adds up when you are using piece of tech dozens of times a day). The visibility of the Omnipod screen is also a lot better, less glare in daylight, even without adjusting settings.

Aside from not having a pump physically attached by a tube, and the inconvenience of attaching it to belts or in pockets, and the minor inconvenience of occasionally getting the tubing caught on door handles......I am a lot more comfortable sleeping with a tubeless pump. It all is seemingly quite minor stuff, but for me, makes me feel more like the pre-diabetes 'normal' me, not having a visible physical reminder on my body.

One issue I have encountered with the Omnipod is poor pod adhesion - but that's something I have learnt from experience how to manage. Mainly found it would come loose after vigorous exercise or if i tried to apply it when I was hot (like post shower) or dashing around. This was less common problem with the ANIMAS cannulas - and probably due to the Omnipod being bigger and heavier. The DSN suggested a GP can prescribe a spray to help adhesion, but I haven't been able to get hold of this yet from my GP.

Another issue with the Omnipods is I find them slightly more painful to insert than the smaller (maybe softer) cannulas. But I have only ever used my stomach (I tried other sites with the previous pump without success). I should try my arm though really..

Both companies offered good support I found.

A hospital Consultant told me recently the Omnipod is significantly more expensive than tubed pumps, and isn't prescribed by many hospitals as they don't see the benefits outweigh the costs. So seems we are lucky to have it..

Hope that helps.

tfishuk

I personally think that the Omnipod is an excellent pump, I was on Medtronic for 5 years and had endless problems. Not having a tube to worry about is great however I would strongly recommend that Omnipod users make a note of all their settings or even take a pic of the info because my pump reset itself and I lost all settings fortunately I had recently downloaded on diasend so I was able to retrieve all my information and reprogram my pump

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
tfishuk what is diasend? Can you connect pod to download sugars? X

I have the Diabass software, you should have been given a cable to connect the PDM to your PC to download all your pump information, ring Ypsomed up and request one if you don't have one.

tfishuk

I also have a Mac and the software supplied by Omnipod is not compatible with Apple, however if you download software from diasend.com it will work on Mac and you can send results direct to your diabetes clinic