Spare Insulin Pens when travelling

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
when going on a short journey out of the country , say a week, it is probably a good idea to take a backup insulin pen just in case something happens to your current in-use pen.
So that means two pens out of the fridge.
However the backup pen's pen remaining 28 days life will kick in, so it may never be used as it is out of the fridge for traveling .

Seems such a waste, do T1 have a work around for this problem.

Thks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You should always carry a spare pen on your travels Mikeg, pens do malfunction unfortunately although they are generally very reliable, always better to be safe than sorry.......

Reactions: 4 people

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, but this means that the backup pen may never get used and has to be 'binned'

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thanks, but this means that the backup pen may never get used and has to be 'binned'
a week without insulin and you will end up in an A&E department in a foreign country

Reactions: 2 people

Charlie Tudgay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't you just use the one you've taken as back up as your next pen to use. You may have to throw it away before it's completely done but can get a bit of use out of it?! I know this depends on how long one pen last you (mine lasts 2 weeks so the spare pen would still last within the 28 days)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In any case looks like I will have to throw some away!

Better to do that then have no insulin at all, as insulin dependant diabetics we always have to prepare for every eventuality.

Reactions: 5 people

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In practice, insulin will last outside fridge for longer than 28 days,particularly if you keep it as near to fridge temperatures as possible. Often you can put pen in a fridge in a hotel room, hostel kitchen etc. Anyway, you can put pen back into fridge when you get home, so it won't be out for over 28 days.

Reactions: 2 people

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did not realise that the pen could go back into the fridge. That makes it not such a waste, could manage this. Thanks

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So glad to have prevented some waste of resources, mikeg1964 - NHS money, glass, insulin etc. Every little helps to help the environment :)

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Typically I take disposable pens for my back up and keep it in a Frio Bag, which i do mu best to keep cold enough. If, at the end of the vacation i question, or doubt its coldness i toss it away.

I know its risky, but when i think about it its cost to me is only about 4$ but if i try to save it and the insulin has spoiled it much more severe so i don't risk it.

Sucks I know.. but nothing else you can really do except not bring a spare.. but thats way to scary lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In practice, insulin will last outside fridge for longer than 28 days,particularly if you keep it as near to fridge temperatures as possible. Often you can put pen in a fridge in a hotel room, hostel kitchen etc. Anyway, you can put pen back into fridge when you get home, so it won't be out for over 28 days.

Its the bit in-between your home fridge and the hotel/hostel fridge that is a concern, the Frio wallets keep insulin at a temperature between 18-26°C as where insulin should be stored in a fridge at a temperature between 2-8°C.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't keep my pens in a fridge, unless the temperature is very hot they don't need to be. Does anyone think they are refrigerated when they arrive at the pharmacist?

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
you could take a syringe to draw it out of the pen but if it smashed you would be stuck.
it is not the end of the world for it to be the wrong temp for a short while so a frio pen makes it ok and just use it when home. If bs start to go up before it is finished then throw it away. I have never had a problem is 43 years and we didn't even had frio bags then just used to use a cool bag

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't keep my pens in a fridge, unless the temperature is very hot they don't need to be. Does anyone think they are refrigerated when they arrive at the pharmacist?

Insulin should be, do you know different?

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll trawl the relevant links if you don't believe.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't believe what JWR?

That it can be stored below 30 once opened. A Novorapid pen lasts me for weeks, so it's significant to not have to store it in a fridge, numerous med advice sites give this guidance.