Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry for being sexist !!

I've been struggling as some of you are aware over the last 6 months with reigning in my BG levels, each month around my period i've become insulin resistant and even with increased basal doses and metformin i've still not had good control, basically unable to get my levels down below 10 and taking alot of corrective doses. It's been a battle to say the least !

My background was Levemir, split doses and from increasing QA corrective doses the weight has also been steadily increasing too.

My DSN asked me to change over to Degludec which I did last weekend, my results have been great since, even with being due on this week i've remained below 10, I take one dose daily in the morning and yesterday was the first day since I cannot remember when that I remained below 10 all day. My insulin resistance has virtually gone.

It's been a revelation to me knowing that the background wasn't right as I was always made aware that it was just getting the dose right, not getting the insulin right.

Hopefully if there's any other ladies out there suffering high BG and insulin resistance around periods, get in touch with your DSN/consultant and talk about a change of basal, I wish i'd known this sooner..

Reactions: 9 people

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice one Juicy. I'm pleased for you. It has given me hope that I too can also sort out some similar issues . I have never heard of Degludec, going to go and google. Thank you.

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news ! :)

Sadly locally they will not prescribe Degludec (Tresiba) due to cost :banghead:

Signy

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Great news ! :)

Sadly locally they will not prescribe Degludec (Tresiba) due to cost :banghead:

Signy

Sorry to hear that, postcode lottery again, shouldn't be the case, can you discuss with your consultant ?

I was convinced I had become insulin resistant didn't think it was because Levemir didn't suit me, just thought I wasnt taking enough so kept upping the dose, but not getting the results I'd wanted and putting on weight which was getting me down as I eat low carb so felt like I was hitting a brick wall all the time. I got on well with levemir when I changed over from lantus so didn't think it was this, glad my consultant thought differently otherwise nothing would of changed.

I think its good to share results when things go right as you don't know who else could be having the same problems.

Good luck Heathenlass push your team for this ;)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Nice one Juicy. I'm pleased for you. It has given me hope that I too can also sort out some similar issues . I have never heard of Degludec, going to go and google. Thank you.

Hope this works for you Flakey too, good luck hun ;)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear that, postcode lottery again, shouldn't be the case, can you discuss with your consultant ?

I was convinced I had become insulin resistant didn't think it was because Levemir didn't suit me, just thought I wasnt taking enough so kept upping the dose, but not getting the results I'd wanted and putting on weight which was getting me down as I eat low carb so felt like I was hitting a brick wall all the time. I got on well with levemir when I changed over from lantus so didn't think it was this, glad my consultant thought differently otherwise nothing would of changed.

I think its good to share results when things go right as you don't know who else could be having the same problems.

Good luck Heathenlass push your team for this ;)

I did discuss this with the consultant, and was given the spiel about it not necessarily being any better than Levemir, and I was doing so well on my current regime - practically word for word the same argument as when I was after a pump :rolleyes:. Later, my friend who is a DSN told me that there is a blanket decision not to prescribe Tresiba because of cheese paring :banghead::banghead: Who knows though, it may change in time !

Thanks for your good wishes, and as always I will continue to push for change :D

Signy

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope this works for you Flakey too, good luck hun ;)
This last year my insulin resistance has gone through the roof. Last year I had really good control and was using 1U for 10g carb, now I am up to 2-3U for 10g and my number are all over the show. Metformin has not touched the insulin resistance. I am really fed up and scared for my future health. Maybe time to try a change in insulin. I should be called for a review soon I will ask about a change then.
Long may your success continue :)

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I switched from Lantus to Levemir a while ago and found that, since then, I've had to take more and more of it just to stay level. I've actually just (last week) switched to a pump, so hopefully it shouldn't be an issue any more, but I'm reasonably convinced that it was Levemir's fault!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi whiplash - I agree, looking at my day to day figures now on Degludec compared to Levemir they are so much better, never heard anyone complain about it so thought it was me. Now having hypos again so reducing my daily basal dose, still, feels good to be back in the driving seat again..

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same experience with Levemir - it just doesn't seem to suit me. I've changed back to insuman basal and things are greatly improved - although far from perfect. I've had the same nonsense from my consultant about cost of tressiba and a blanket ban on prescribing it in this region. I'm back with the consultant next Friday and intend to campaign again for giving it a try!

Smidge