GRRRRRRR .... can I rant a little .. please

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been for my blood test yesterday and after several failed attempts to get blood, I asked the nurse when the results will be posted online. What she said .. on line ? yes I am registered with diabetes my way.org. Never heard of it she said .. then added .. that I could NOT possibly know what the results mean so why would I need to see them !!!!!!!!!
WHEN did the medical profession climb so dam high on a pedestal us regular folk could never understand what they are privileged to know !!!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: after all it is my body.. grrrrrrrr how dare a stupid little person who could only just about get blood from my arm and did not even test the urine sample I was ordered to bring with me .. think I was completely unable to understand MY blood test results........ off to punch a wall or three.

Sorry for the rant .. but ......................

Reactions: 9 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This was the same nurse that would not let me remove my coat when standing on the scales, so with a heavy top coat .. large bunch of keys and a ton of small change in the pockets ... she was delighted to tell me I have gained weight ... I am still steadily loosing weight .. but at that point I just walked out :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I probably wouldn't understand a lot of the results, but at least I would be able to view my results and probably Google an NHS website about blood test results and their meanings. It is our bodies after all, we aren't idiots or cretins and we probably know a lot more than we are actually credited for :rolleyes:
Good for you for having a moan about it, I don't blame you.

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
They hate the fact that patients can now google. I wanted to put a question ref information received from practice in our next survey...and basically got asked not to point patients towards google!!

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think part of the issue is that there's as much bad information as good and if you don't know what to look for, filtering is very difficult.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Common sense does comes into it, but at the end of the day If we would like them to view/keep then I would like that choice. If there was something terribly wrong, or needing to be talked about, we would be alerted to see our GP straight away or as soon as possible, It's just my choice and many wouldn't want to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the diabites my way web site run by Scotland's nhs, it shows you the numbers of your blood results and then shows a chart to let you know if your results are in the normal or abnormal range. So if it's outwith the normal range I can have questions ready for the DSN ... Not that she will want to listen or answer any questions! Simple .... Except none of my nurses or DSN's can use a computer. Luckly for me last time my very bad results from the DSN were her looking at the wrong name on the papers .. Without the dibites my way results I would be on heaven only knows what now for my uncontrolled diabites. When all MY levels were in the normal none diabetes range ,!
Never Trust people who don't know you !

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So are you going to push for your results?

After a conversation like that, I would not stop until I had a printout in my hand.

That kind of thing just makes me more determined.

Reactions: 6 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think part of the issue is that there's as much bad information as good and if you don't know what to look for, filtering is very difficult.
there is no need for searching or filtering .. The diabites my way site is run by the scottish NHS and shows your results and let's you know if they are normal or not !!!!!!!!! So no running wild in Google .. It's all well organised for you and charts with targets are included.
The Drs are meant to be able to interact with the site to view your own meter readings .. But my DSN is not wanting to be a part of it, so I don't record my personal readings in the site.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been for my blood test yesterday and after several failed attempts to get blood, I asked the nurse when the results will be posted online. What she said .. on line ? yes I am registered with diabetes my way.org. Never heard of it she said .. then added .. that I could NOT possibly know what the results mean so why would I need to see them !!!!!!!!!
WHEN did the medical profession climb so dam high on a pedestal us regular folk could never understand what they are privileged to know !!!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: after all it is my body.. grrrrrrrr how dare a stupid little person who could only just about get blood from my arm and did not even test the urine sample I was ordered to bring with me .. think I was completely unable to understand MY blood test results........ off to punch a wall or three.

Sorry for the rant .. but ......................

How very patronising ! And how very wrong !:mad:

Seriously, have you thought about complaining given all the wrong things she has done in your case ?Oh, and you are entitled to a copy of your results. Mostly you have to push for them as it's just another job for them, but go for it !

Signy

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How very patronising ! And how very wrong !:mad:

Seriously, have you thought about complaining given all the wrong things she has done in your case ?Oh, and you are entitled to a copy of your results. Mostly you have to push for them as it's just another job for them, but go for it !

Signy
I did try to complaine a while ago .. But it was my worrd against hers and I have no evidence ! I get the printed results from the DSN .. When I suggest what button to press ! But like the online one better as it has all the info I need ... Do you have this NHS service in England .. It's called diabitesmyway.org

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I did try to complaine a while ago .. But it was my worrd against hers and I have no evidence ! I get the printed results from the DSN .. When I suggest what button to press ! But like the online one better as it has all the info I need ... Do you have this NHS service in England .. It's called diabitesmyway.org

I have just googled diabetesmyway.org and it would appear to be just in Scotland. Which is great for you, but not here. Unless someone has some information regarding something similar in England ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Some GP's are allowing blood test results to be viewed online in England.
All GP's were supposedly having to give all patients some online facilities by March this year.
Our practice uses Patient Access and has limited the info for medical history. Only allowing to view medications, jabs like flu and tetanus and allergies supposedly. My allergy / intolerance to statins does not show.
There is I believe another service that some GP's use.

Reactions: 4 people

Maelstrom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This sounds like a very good idea that should be available in England and Wales too. It seems to be similar to renal patient view that my hubby uses, after he attends clinic all his blood results are uploaded by the hospital we can view results going back for quite a few years and view them as a graph to see the rises and falls in levels and as his renal clinic is slightly out of our own area we've found it invaluable to share this info with any Drs we see in our own area and we can also upload info ourselves and compare any results of tests between clinic visits. It also contains a full list of all the meds he takes now and those he has taken in the past.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Some GP's are allowing blood test results to be viewed online in England.
All GP's were supposedly having to give all patients some online facilities by March this year.
Our practice uses Patient Access and has limited the info for medical history. Only allowing to view medications, jabs like flu and tetanus and allergies supposedly. My allergy / intolerance to statins does not show.
There is I believe another service that some GP's use.
We have a service. I adopted it and promptly forgot the substantially forgettable range of characters that made up b my password. I really should go back and try again...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Tapped mine in on my phone....to keep them. If anybody wants to steal my phone and access my medical records they are welcome. Only tapped in the long number though. Not my username. Easily done....

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And while I am having my little rant ....every time the DBN hacks me off the wife searches for more information to support her theory that Diabetes is not a life style choice ... her latest findings are exploring the link between pesticides and none inherited T2 diabetes ..
About the only bit I can understand was from wikipedia of all places !!!

Diabetes
A study published in 2006[30] revealed a positive correlation between POP serum levels and type II diabetes in individuals, after other variables, such as age, sex, race, and socioeconomic status were adjusted for. The correlation proved stronger in younger, Mexican American, and obese individuals. Individuals exposed to low doses of POPs throughout their lifetime had a higher chance for developing diabetes than individuals exposed to high concentrations of POPs for a short amount of time. (Persistent organic pollutants (POPs))

It makes for interesting reading .. POPs in the environment get lots of publicity about causing cancers .. but thats not all they can do, so the wife says.
I think if the DBN hacks me off much more the wife is going to march down to the Drs and slap her research down their desk and tell them all where to jog of to :angelic:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And while I am having my little rant ....every time the DBN hacks me off the wife searches for more information to support her theory that Diabetes is not a life style choice ... her latest findings are exploring the link between pesticides and none inherited T2 diabetes ..
About the only bit I can understand was from wikipedia of all places !!!

Diabetes
A study published in 2006[30] revealed a positive correlation between POP serum levels and type II diabetes in individuals, after other variables, such as age, sex, race, and socioeconomic status were adjusted for. The correlation proved stronger in younger, Mexican American, and obese individuals. Individuals exposed to low doses of POPs throughout their lifetime had a higher chance for developing diabetes than individuals exposed to high concentrations of POPs for a short amount of time. (Persistent organic pollutants (POPs))

It makes for interesting reading .. POPs in the environment get lots of publicity about causing cancers .. but thats not all they can do, so the wife says.
I think if the DBN hacks me off much more the wife is going to march down to the Drs and slap her research down their desk and tell them all where to jog of to :angelic:
Jenny Rhul has quite a lot to say on her bloodsugar101.com website about this.
Well, from memory, she talks about environmental factors, chemicals and pollutants.

Maybe I should reread it, and see if she has updated it.