Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me the lack of hunger was due to body going into a state of ketosis. This is where energy is derived from fat stores, and was tested weekly at pharmacy where urine specimen was checked for keytones. I was on a total food replacement version of the ND.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Into week 4 I've now started to ramp up my exercise now my body has got used to what it gets fed :)

I still walk a lot and I really enjoy it.

Started using weights to build arm muscles and do 4 reps of 25 sit ups before bed. On my rest days (every 3rd week off) I'm also looking at going swimming now my figure bears less of a startling resemblance to a beached whale !!

Not that it matters as I'm married, but I've also started to get a lot more 'nice' comments about looking trim from ladies ......

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
moonchip, "Started using weights to build arm muscles".

Feel free to come and carry my horses's water buckets, soon build the muscles up! That is the only thing I have left, no fat. I am hoping when I start the ND diet there will be some in the liver and pancreas which will quickly disappear and I will not be one of the 20% or so who don't get any real benenefit.

Squarebanana, "My best m8 is in Spain on his hols until 2nd April, and he will be expecting me to go out, on Tues 7th, I will go out but it will be soda water and ice, and freedom salad for me.
If you missed one of your shakes could you not have a steak or chicken breast when you went out? I went out with the family at Christmas (only on the no card diet) and had a lovely steak and chips. A chicken breast with no skin or sauce would be OK as long as you allowed for the calories earlier in the day. Whatever, have a great evening and remember you will have to tell us what you ate so you can't cheat! Long term health versus short term pleasure.

Reactions: 4 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
moonchip, "Started using weights to build arm muscles".

Feel free to come and carry my horses's water buckets, soon build the muscles up! That is the only thing I have left, no fat. I am hoping when I start the ND diet there will be some in the liver and pancreas which will quickly disappear and I will not be one of the 20% or so who don't get any real benenefit.

Thank for the offer but I'm 'sorted' there ....... my wife also has horses :)

Reactions: 2 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank for the offer but I'm 'sorted' there ....... my wife also has horses :)

That doesn't mean a lot as my husband doesn't carry the water buckets! What horses does she have (are we allowed to digress)?

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She has Dutch / Hannovarian warmbloods, her 'best' at the moment competing extremely well in both dressage & cross country. She's always had horses even before I met her - in fact thats where she is now ;)

You need to train your husband better - its taken my wife a while but she got there in the end :D

I also built a free energy pump to save her arms & mine -- this pumps water uphill all by itself using no electricity, runs 24/7 pumping 600+ litres of water a day then distributes it automatically to all the drinking troughs in the fields to keep them 'topped up but not overflowing' so they've always got fresh water to drink

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She has Dutch / Hannovarian warmbloods, her 'best' at the moment competing extremely well in both dressage & cross country. She's always had horses even before I met her - in fact thats where she is now ;)

You need to train your husband better - its taken my wife a while but she got there in the end :D

I also built a free energy pump to save her arms & mine -- this pumps water uphill all by itself using no electricity, runs 24/7 pumping 600+ litres of water a day then distributes it automatically to all the drinking troughs in the fields to keep them 'topped up but not overflowing' so they've always got fresh water to drink
Wow, I'm impressed. Would she like to swap you for my husband????

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Square banana I've done the diet strictly before so I know that a tiny amount of meat won't make a difference ultimately. If it was rice or potatoes that's a different matter, I want to be able to do the two months then move forward for rest of life, most important thing is sugars dropping quickly so all good

Reactions: 6 people

Reama

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 2 just ending. I slept OK last night (no severe hunger waking me up.) Today hasn't been bad either, though for some reason I've been inordinately thirsty. I'm expecting over the next few days, though, to have the inner appetite start throwing tantrums!

Reama

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Day five in Newcastle diet house
Good nights sleep feel wide awake today, off to hospital at 1130 for 24 hr bp monitor fitted, going to cycle there lol then got an assault course tomorrow bit daft having a bp monitor fitted but doing all the exercise.
I'll post my sugars once I've taken them

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to interrupt.........

Arab Horse - have you read this paper: http://www.clinsci.org/cs/128/0405/1280405.pdf ?
Yes, I have thanks, and it gives me hope that the ND just might work despite everyone saying not to do it as my BMI is already low so it won't work and I will be ill As I said before, I have nothing to lose except a bit more weight, 6 stone here I come!!!!

I may be in the 20% it doesn't work for but I will never know if I don't try. I also need to eat earlier in the evening so I have a longer fasting period and if my diabetes gets better I can start doing the horses before I eat as I always used to. I found when I started testing that my glucose was always high before breakfast (fasting) so I started testing when I got up before I did the horses and then again before breakfast and I found that the first glucose was considerably lower than the pre breakfast so started having breakfast and then doing the horses (and hard work). However that means that I have my breakfast just before 6.00am and my last meal about 8.30pm so I don't have the 12 hour daily fast which also seems to be recommended. Another rethink of my life style.

Several years ago I used to have breakfast when I got up but found that when I had done the horses I was starving again so I had a coffee with toast and loads of ginger marmalade (yum, yum) eaten on the run while getting ready for work but I stopped that as I put on a few pounds so trained myself to do the horses on empty stomach.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Did my sugars 6.5 happy with that for four days in and a good weight loss but I'll post that on Monday official weigh day

Reactions: 4 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Arab Horse just one more piece of advise I am sort of like you, not overweight but healthy bmi and after a week on it I am starting to feel a little weak, well it's my 9th day so I am going to pull my foot off the pedal and reduce my exercise and increase my calories too, one more thing I have noticed is that the diet says 200 calorries from veggies for fibre, I had soup for 4 days and got bored with it so I measured and made a salad of 100 calories which I found a lotmore filling and fibrous, believe me constipation will set in big time and I don't even want to go into the details but have had no bowel movement since the start and then I added salad so atleast I am going now once in 3 days. The salad is a bit more than 200 grams but since you can have 200 calories from it I only go for a 100. Planning to add an egg as well to the diet for protein hint from @The little white hen dietician. I have lost in all about 7 kilos in 10 days and a sixth of my body weight is 12 kilos so not sure if I should continue after loosing 12 or just follow it till the end but I know I will stall at 70. Never gone below thatand I need to go below that to loose 12 kilos.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Been to get my 24hr bp machine fitted cycled there 5 1/2 miles asked them to take bp which they did 122/84!!!!! Then cycled home checked sugars 4.9!!!!

Reactions: 3 people

Reama

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds great, Geordie90!

Brettsza, sounds reasonable. I've been a little unclear on whether this is supposed to be a 600, or an 800 calorie/day diet. 600 calories for a taller/bigger boned person is a lot less than 600 calories for a shorter/lighter boned person. And, I've read that Professor Taylor has since said that it's not the rate of weight loss, but the achieving of the weight loss goal. I've been concerned that if I "starve" myself long enough, the pendulum will swing the other way into a big binge, which of course, I don't want!

I'm still not too hungry (only day 3), but today is my first day of wanting to stress eat, big-time. Am trying to distract myself, and helps to log in here, too.

Reama

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been to get my 24hr bp machine fitted cycled there 5 1/2 miles asked them to take bp which they did 122/84!!!!! Then cycled home checked sugars 4.9!!!!
4.9 is brilliant :)

Good luck with the 24hr bp monitor. A bad nights sleep for you I'm afraid :)

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds great, Geordie90!

Brettsza, sounds reasonable. I've been a little unclear on whether this is supposed to be a 600, or an 800 calorie/day diet. 600 calories for a taller/bigger boned person is a lot less than 600 calories for a shorter/lighter boned person. And, I've read that Professor Taylor has since said that it's not the rate of weight loss, but the achieving of the weight loss goal. I've been concerned that if I "starve" myself long enough, the pendulum will swing the other way into a big binge, which of course, I don't want!

I'm still not too hungry (only day 3), but today is my first day of wanting to stress eat, big-time. Am trying to distract myself, and helps to log in here, too.

Reama
Here is my broad understanding:

1. The most important aspect of the diet is getting 100% of the nutrition your body needs. 30 years ago this would have been almost impossible on 600 calories - today, it is doable, often through the use of meal replacement shakes/powders/soups.

2. The daily vegetables are for fiber - literally putting something through you colon to keep it from going into a coma. The added nutrients are nice, but the added calories are almost irrelevant because of . .

3. Anything less than 800 calories does not speed weightloss. Studies show identical weightloss in 400 calories versus 800 - the human body seems to have a limit of how much fat it can burn in a day, and if pushed too hard, will kick into "starvation mode" to conserve stored energy (fat). If you are getting all your nutrients, your body is less willing to hit "starvation mode" on even a dramatically reduced calories level (like 800).

4. Warning - even with exercise, your metabolism will slow. You are not just losing fat, you are losing lean muscle mass, including skeletal muscle that plays such an important role in metabolism. Coupled with the fact that there is just plain less of you to fuel, your body will just reduce metabolic capacity. Exercise can certainly slow this process down (both cardio exercise and weight lifting)

For me, the first four days were the absolute worst. It never got "easy" but it got decidedly "easier" past that point, until the point where I was 8 weeks in and seriously considering another four weeks!

So stay strong - motivation and dedication are the two words to live by - and whenever you fell hungry, celebrate because those hunger pangs mean that THE DIET IS WORKING! Toast yourself with a glass of water! Which brings up the last point of . . .

5. DRINK A LOT OF WATER. Losing fat means all the toxins that get locked.up in the storage process are getting put back into your bloodstream. You are already lower on water than usual because of the water you are not getting from food, and the water is also incredibly important for moving that fiber through your colon. You won't overhydrate, but let your guard down, and you will certainly underhydrate.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds great, Geordie90!

Reama
Hi Reama

Don't worry your hunger will gradually go away. I don't know if it helps but I take my first shake at 12. I have water coffee and tea before that. At 12 I go for a 3 to 4 mile walk. So I burn that shake during that time and also I can utilise my lunch break at work so it's just something that works together for me. I have my next shake at 530 as I leave at 6 so it keeps me going when I am on way from off to work. I don't take my kitto office so aftermy fasting reading I take my next at 730 when I come back home. I do my evening readings and then have a bowl of salad. I found a bowl of salad worth 100 calories is a lot better than 100 calories worth of soup. Its really filling and help with fibre, believe me its as important as your shakes. Then just before I go to sleep at 11 I make my last shake so I don't feel hungry throughout the night. Thats how I plan my day out. I get 500 calories from all this and then I have a 5ml olive oil which is about 50 calories. It will get better trust me. Dont wry we are all here to support each other.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Arab Horse just one more piece of advise I am sort of like you, not overweight but healthy bmi and after a week on it I am starting to feel a little weak, well it's my 9th day so I am going to pull my foot off the pedal and reduce my exercise and increase my calories too, one more thing I have noticed is that the diet says 200 calorries from veggies for fibre, I had soup for 4 days and got bored with it so I measured and made a salad of 100 calories which I found a lotmore filling and fibrous, believe me constipation will set in big time and I don't even want to go into the details but have had no bowel movement since the start and then I added salad so atleast I am going now once in 3 days. The salad is a bit more than 200 grams but since you can have 200 calories from it I only go for a 100. Planning to add an egg as well to the diet for protein hint from @The little white hen dietician. I have lost in all about 7 kilos in 10 days and a sixth of my body weight is 12 kilos so not sure if I should continue after loosing 12 or just follow it till the end but I know I will stall at 70. Never gone below thatand I need to go below that to loose 12 kilos.

Hi Brettsza

For constipation see my other post which I hope you may find beneficial

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/update-on-newcastle-shake-mix.74299/

Reactions: 2 people