diabetes diagnosis

Mac Sue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had an eye test at Tesco 3 weeks ago cos of blurry vision, put down to needing new glasses ! Optician said go to the docs you might be diabetic. Went and docs couldn't do enough I probably had symptoms for months but put it down to (a) taking water tablets,so up and down all night to pee, (b) drinking a lot cos I was thirsty, (c) losing weight - great diet working, I have been having vaginal thrush and itching for 5 years, previous docs and my one now just gave me Trimovate steroid cream to stop itching... now have kidney problems but docs are bending over backwards. On gliclazide and injecting till stable. BG levels was 35 plus but thankfully never went into coma, now down to 25+ and falling. But concerned over kidneys, what could be wrong who knows nobody is telling me, do you know.... need to know, keep worrying

Desbrina

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was picked up after seeing me GP about a UTI.
He did a urine test there and the. Which discovered high sugars. Had a fasting test and the next day GP rang saying he wanted to see me.

He thinks I'd had it a while since I'd been really tired and couldn't be bothered doing anything for several months before hand

Mac Sue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was picked up after seeing me GP about a UTI.
He did a urine test there and the. Which discovered high sugars. Had a fasting test and the next day GP rang saying he wanted to see me.

He thinks I'd had it a while since I'd been really tired and couldn't be bothered doing anything for several months before hand
I hope you feel a bit better now. I was really tired but thought seeing as I work full time and the commute is long I had a right to be knackered....

Reactions: 4 people

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Admitted to A&E with chest pain came out a diabetic much better than the other options
Jan

Mac Sue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah people keep telling me it could have been worse.... gets boring after a while, we all know it could have been worse.... but its still a chronic disease for life....don't wanna hear that it could have been worse any more...

Desbrina

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope you feel a bit better now. I was really tired but thought seeing as I work full time and the commute is long I had a right to be knackered....

Not really, was diagnosed 18 months ago, improved for a 6 months or so before getting worse again. Saw the diabetic consultant yesterday who is fairly sure i'm type 1 and had the blood/urnine tests for it yesterday, wants to start insulin next week, would have been yesterday but the nurse wasn' available

Consultant was brilliant, told me to stop eating the cards, and will perscribe my contour next lancets & strips

Mac Sue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not seen any consultant or a dietician, but doctors are seeing me regularly.