What do you like to do in your spare time?

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sir, with all due respect, you are a nutter.

Maybe I shouldn't be quite so 'honest' :D

I can't 'do' with sorting socks once they are dry, I find it much easier to pair them whilst they're damp and put them out to dry 'paired' and the right way round. Yep, I'm a bit OCD about it :facepalm:

When I made the fitted furniture in the bedroom, I made the 'smalls' drawers heated so that in the mornings getting dressed everything is warm to put on and cosy

For vacuuming, we tried the Dyson thing but it is **** with pet hairs so I changed it to a George (like a Henry, same brand but it'll also do carpet washing as its wet & dry) and with an aero brush attachment, it cleans all the carpet to 'new' each time its used. Put on some tunes and I'm happy vacc'ing for half an hour or so. Heavy use area's, like the stairs have been changed from normal carpet to hypo allergenic carpets which don't hold pet hairs or dirt.

Along with my OCD for socks, I can't do with anything 'broken' or needing fixing. So if its a cupboard door or a hanger or whatever, anything requiring fixing is pretty much instantly 'fixed'. Even a door which squeaks :p is fixed there and then. My wife often comes home with stuff for her horse and has to juggle keys, so I changed the locks so they're all 'keyed alike' - just one key opens every door lock -- also cuts down on the weight of our key rings.

I've always pretty much done all the cooking, as I enjoy it. My wife finds it a chore, I find it fun. Guess its the engineer in me :) She always follows recipes, I just go by eye and make things up as I go along, then get reminded to write out my recipe afterwards. Now I'm T2 its an even greater joy, or it will be after I finish the ND. I can still make her nice meals though -- I may not be able to eat it, but I can enjoy the aroma's whilst I'm cooking them. She keeps saying I should enter Masterchef or similar, I'm just not competitive in that sense.

Its funny but the more I got 'into' housework, the more I could turn my eye to saving money.

Changing light bulbs led me to changing them all to CFL's (compact flourescent light bulbs) though now I've changed everything to LED bulbs. Our energy load for all household lighting has come down from 1400 watts to 102 watts, for the whole house. Just for the bathroom, its dropped from 200 watts to 16 watts, and the porch light has gone from 40 watts to 1 watt. This makes a huge difference to our energy costs.

When I do the kitchen I'm going to incorporate a small solid fuel stove with a heat mass surround (might have to be a stone top over that, rather than butchers block). We have loads of wood and I can mix sawdust with the stuff in our waste paper bin to make briquettes. It should heat our home nicely in winter pretty much for free. Not that our boiler is expensive to run -- I changed that 2 years ago and it only sips gas. I also fitted an external sensor so it won't come on if its warmer outside than it is inside to within 1 degree ...... though I also fitted a cutout for when we need the heating on for drying clothes.

All this has made me very 'house proud' in a very quiet private sense, hence I like to look after everything. It also means that I have her full trust in anything I want to change - I no longer need to 'seek approval' before I do something. :)

Cleaning & mopping the kitchen floor is very satisfying - its often my 'last thing to do' just before bed ....... usually watched by at least two cats with the look of "Oh God, he's at it again ..... more wet paws" . Its just very relaxing to come downstairs to a clean, fresh kitchen.

Nutter ? ......... well compared to my brother & brother in law who's main hobbies are propping up the local pubs with their buddies, yep, I suppose I'm guilty as charged. Anyway, I'm teetotal ...... I hate pubs

We both work hard in shift-based jobs - I'd much rather enjoy my little castle than go out (unless its walking of course )

Last edited by a moderator:

Skydog76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rap Music, Football, Rugby Union, Hipsters, The EU
Music
Photography
Beach Fishing
Motorbikes
Gardening
Xbox

Reactions: 2 people
G

gemma6549

Love walking my two dogs across the fields especially when the suns out

Music, I trained as an opera singer for 9 years, although I don't typically enjoy opera but music is a massive passion of mine.

Cooking and baking

Drawing

Archery, play twice a week and am a member of a local club

Reactions: 5 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Love walking my two dogs across the fields especially when the suns out

Music, I trained as an opera singer for 9 years, although I don't typically enjoy opera but music is a massive passion of mine.

Cooking and baking

Drawing

Archery, play twice a week and am a member of a local club
Cool::))