Hba1c help

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tylers73, what was your HBA1C result? Let us know and we can offer some guidance on it.

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
66 percent not a clue what that means did ring my nurse no reply as usual bit scared to be honest

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The first question is, do you know what the HBA1C actually measures? In simplified terms, it is like an average of your blood sugars over the last three to four months. The higher the HBA1C, the higher your blood sugars have probably been running over recent weeks. 66 high, but it's by no means in the stratosphere. Are you newly diagnosed? If so, a high HBA1C is to completely be expected. As you start adjusting your diet and/or taking medication, your HBA1C is very likely to come down.

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got diagnosed last July after hip operation I am 41 and not coping I had bloods done the other week ?????

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes is difficult to come to terms with, but the important thing to remember is that it is manageable. It takes time. It takes effort. And there will be failures along the way. But you can get to the point where you are in control, rather than your diabetes controlling you. The best thing you can possibly do is to research things, and find what has worked for others. My advice is to go to YouTube, and search for Dr Troy Stapleton. He is a doctor in Australia, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2012. He is something of a hero to me. He goes into detail about how he effectively manages his diabetes, and keeps excellent control.

I'm not going to lie, my control has been bad in the past. I only have good control now because I learned how to open up and discuss my problems. I involve my wife in my diabetes now, and we work on it as a team. If you want to see the journey of someone else with diabetes, feel free to read my blog. (There is a blogs tab at the top of the page, or you can get there by looking at my profile). If you have a friend or family member you can talk to, then I really advise you to tell them about how you are feeling with. I made the mistake of thinking it was weak to unload my problems on someone else, especially my wife. I did not understand the strength it took to admit my fears, and start to combat them.

Remember, while you have a profile on this forum, you are never alone. People come here scared and lost. I know I did. So very often, they master their condition and find themselves passing on advice to others. Keep posting, and the very best of luck in your journey with diabetes.

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Completely agree but my husband was made redundant twice lost our home. Got work now but paying back lots of debts have no money for bills struggling to buy food everyday a mountain to climb apart from this diabetes thing I also have had to stop work due to hip and back problems after numerous operations and lots of scars no good and now no steroid injections due to the diabetes

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would be good to talk to someone regarding the diabetes thing

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like you have been put through the wringer through absolutely no fault of your own. Are you claiming any disability related benefits? I would go to citizen's advice to discuss what you're entitled to. You need to eat healthily to manage your diabetes, and in your situation the government should have a duty to lend a helping hand.

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah right at the mo do we pay rent or council tax or food I have done so well to gain some weight and now lost a stone again and my poor husband

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so sorry so many things have happened to you all at once. Have you discussed your situation with your doctor or diabetes team? They really should be offering you support. If they know of your problems and are not helping then that is awful. I would demand to speak to someone higher up if that is the case.

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are right but no one can help. My husband is amazing but I hide a lot of my feelings how I'm coping etc as got so much more going on don't want to trouble him. You sound like my councillor lol Soz

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
66 percent not a clue what that means did ring my nurse no reply as usual bit scared to be honest
66 is the new measure and 8.2% in the old, it does need working on as you know.
what most do is buy a sd codefree meter because of cheap strips
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm
if you buy extra boxes of strips there is a discount code ..5 packs 264086

some find cutting carbs is what T2 diabetes is all about

From the Southport gp who posts here
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/Sp.../March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf

it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's no trouble, I'm glad you have found this forum. There are a lot of supportive people here. Regarding hiding your feelings, I used to do the same with my wife. The thing was, she always knew something was up, but she didn't feel she could reach me. It made her miserable to know that I was not willing to confide in her. We are both a lot happier now that we share our problems with each other. The thing is, it feels good to be able to help someone. If you both discuss how you are feeling, the chances are you can be stronger for it just for putting things out in the open. Often, we feel a lot better just for saying what is troubling us, even if the other person doesn't offer a solution.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We do talk lots about everything known each other for 23 years and been married 8. It's just me not coping very depressed on antidepressants talk to the doctor often but it's money worries really can't cope and affects my levels.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Indeed, there are so many outside influences that compound the complications of managing diabetes. The thing is, you have already taken the first step to taking back control. You joined the forum. The only people that come here are those that are ready to improve their situations. There are things that you can take control of in your life. Diabetes really is one of them. Regular testing can go a really long way to causing improvements. When you have already been knocked down, it's hard to find the strength to tackle diabetes. Actually forget that, it's more than hard. It's a cruel part of life. But it can have so many benefits. High blood sugars affect mood and make us feel awful. Getting to lower levels can be a big step to improving emotional wellbeing. It wont cure all of your problems, but it should certainly help. When you get good blood sugars results, you should also feel an immense sense of pride. It's something you controlled and achieved.

I have to get some sleep now, but I want to leave you with this thought: you are clearly a very strong person. You have come here and opened up, which many, many people never find the courage to do. You are striving to understand diabetes, so you can bring it under control. I would say you are facing your problem head on, yet another thing that so many avoid doing. You will get there. As I said before, it will take time, and there will be failures. But I really do believe that you can do it.

Reactions: 6 people