How do I come upon about getting a insulin pump and cause my doctor sed I have to be in a categorie

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My boyfriend was on top of it when we first met but now it seems to me I'm to much work haha

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The pump involves a lot of testing. I'm afraid if you can't show that you have tried to monitor and control your blood sugar, you won't be considered for the pump.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Coralkay,sorry to hear of your diabetes problems, are you in denial or diabetic burn out >

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well do u not think I know that dancer I'm not stupid I'm trying my best but it's hard wen u don't want to be diabetic

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry Coralkay12, but that's life. You've got to grin and bear it.

OK, that's not the best way to put it but you'll have to accept it and try your best to put up with it. Diabetes is bad but worse things could happen. You've got to make the best of it.

The pump was the best thing for my diabetes but it took over 20 years of poor control before it was suggested for me. And that was me trying my best to keep my blood sugars under control.

I'm not suggesting that it would take that long for you to get the pump, but you'll have to show you are trying your best to control your blood sugar. Why not ask your boyfriend to help you manage your diet/blood monitoring. Failing that, the diabetic clinic should be able to offer some kind of support.

Reactions: 10 people

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Testing and taking needles xx
Hi, Coralkay, way back in the past i trialled an early pump, and hoped they would be available soon after, but they were not, because of safety concerns , after some deaths. This is one reason for the strict protocols and education programmes today, as the pump is potentially dangerous, it is also a lot of work, much more than just being on injections. Also, if you are not keen on injections, pumps have infusion sets to inject in, either cannulas or metal sets, both more painful (at least to me) .than injections, & sets have to be changed every 2 days, cartridges every 3 . Unfortunately Type one has no easier way at present, but you are young, and things are changing - hang in there, do injections, count CHO, and in a few years there may be easier options - i am waiting too - I want to see be able to relax a bit in my old age!

Reactions: 10 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
He wants me to track my bloods for two months and I last two days
Well there lies your problem.
You have to be committed to testing at least 6 times a day and as you can't be bothered, that's the reason for no pump.
You have to show you have tried your best to control your blood sugars by the means at your disposal. Unfortunately you haven't even got out of the starting gate :(
No consultant would consider you or anyone else for a pump who does not test or inject on a regular bases. This is due to medical negligence claims being rife when things go wrong and pumping can go wrong very quickly without the commitment to test and bolus.
Your consultant has given you a chance by asking you to test and record results for 2 months. As you stopped after 2 days you have slammed the door very firmly on having a pump :(
Bottom line is the ball is in your court.

Reactions: 15 people

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi Coral, it's not always great having to test and inject but it gets easier, especially if it becomes a habit. Have you tried doing the finger prick on the outside edge of a finger tip (not the nail side)? I find too that my little finger's not as sensitive as the rest so tend to use it more. I avoid using my index finger as it seems the most sensitive. And injecting, what size needles have you been prescribed? The smaller ones are the least uncomfortable - check with your doc.

Reactions: 4 people

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
And keep trying! It's your life and it'll probably be a better one if you can accept that we T1s just need to do what's needed to stay well. Once you've got into the swing of it then you'll be amazed how much better you feel and you should have the energy to enjoy living.

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
He wants me to track my bloods for two months and I last two days

That's not good Coralkay and its unlikely that they'll put your name forward for a pump, you really do have to be pro-active in your own diabetes management to get pump as the cost of them is far more expensive than treating your diabetes on MDI.

However take a look at Input, it has lots of information and advice for those who are considering moving over to pump therapy:

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/

Reactions: 2 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I'd just get going with the blood testing before you know it two months will be up, you will be surprised at how you will feel better with yourself, you may have to look at what is stopping you doing it because as a type 1 its really important you monitor, i dont know how you cope without testing its so important, im thinking about a pump myself, the whole idea used to put me off but i think they are a good way of getting better control. look after yourself, no one can do it better than you, gl with it all.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi coralkay

I'd take a deep breath and start to do everything your Consultant has asked whatever you think about it. Yes, it's an effort sometimes but start to test and record your blood sugar whatever the result, write down what you eat , how many carbs you have, what bolus you have, basically get into a routine of recording everything you do diabetes wise. You will start to see patterns once you have recorded everything for a few weeks and there is always a pattern, high or low. That gives you so much information to show your Consultant and to show how keen you are to get good control.

Small tweaks here and there can make such a difference and it maybe that you start to get better control on MDI, perhaps you'll still have problems that require other methods of treatment but without testing and recording regularly neither you nor your diabetes team have much to go on.

Don't despair, it is hard and monotonous, so much affects blood sugar and none of us want it but that's what we got given. Start a new page and put a bit of time each day into recording what's going on, good or bad and hopefully that will start to lead to improvements for you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @coralkay12

I may be wrong..? But it looks to me like your in a "catch 22" situation..
Documentation of your blood sugars, injection doses & carb intake have to be logged in order for your D consultants to assess you for a pump..
Only you can change this or the the monotony of you waiting for a pump will seem a little like the song in the video below..

Meanwhile? While your dazed by that. The focus on health will be diverted & you could find yourself the proud owner of a new kidney & the additional monotony of meds & treatment to make sure your body don't reject it..!
I have a mate in the above position & he still don't quite get it..... Though they did put him on a pump, he's struggling with life more than ever now..;)

An old fave in the West Country that chops sense into it all....oooo arr! :)

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

From what I've read from pumpers on this forum, pumps are actually a lot more hard work - not an easy answer. So maybe don't focus on the pump as answer for now, but make some small changes.

What is it that you particularly don't like about finger testing?

None of us want to be diabetic, but we are, and we are all in it together so u r in the rigt place to help get back in control :)

Reactions: 5 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you want a pump you have to prove that you are taking better control of your diabetes, that includes testing and recording blood sugars regularly. Just remember that testing your blood sugars takes less than 30 seconds at least for each test. Out of a day it doesn't take very long and won't effect what your doing. Small changes can make big differences. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people