Metformin and blood sugar levels

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, this week at work has been really hectic and at the beginning of the week I forgot to take my metformin and had a hypo. Anyway other than that my BS levels have been lower than when im on the met. I took it today for the first time this week and my levels are pretty much the same if not slightly higher.

Also my fasting has been close to 7 all week and Ive typically been in the 8's.

My question is.. should I bother with it? The hypo was my own fault because I forgot to eat and im assuming that happened because I forgot the meds (I read that you cant really have hypos on metformin). I know my doctor is very 'you must take your medication' but she also said I can eat what I want in moderation...not true.

Cheers guys x

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Lexa, the metformin should be lowering your BG levels, but having said that I'm told it has very little effect on your BG levels anyway.

Are you currently low carbing ?

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, my meals have been pretty much the same week in week out which is why im so confused. I am losing weight so that could be why my levels are lower, I just dont think the metformin does anything.. other than stop me enjoying wine at the weekend, lol.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's all about balance, personally I would attempt dropping the mets based on my hba1c after a chinwag with the doctor.

I'm hoping to be diet controlled only myself at some point.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I think my next hba1c is due at the end of April. Will ask about it then. What meds are you on?

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin 2000mg daily 2 twice a day, but I hope to be diet control. I too have my next hba1c end of April, kinda looking forward to it as I have worked so hard since being diagnosed in January, will have to see what happens.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Were exactly the same. I was also diagnosed in January, and on 2000mg of metformin.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha, walking the same road, sux don't it. But hey be interesting to see what your hba1c will be, I was 101 mmol on diagnosis.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bet you felt ill?! Mine was 83 or 87, one of the two. Lol. I felt horrendous at that.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah my doctor was like, how on earth are you walking around lol, it's not until now like almost 3 months later that I can see how Ill I was.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah im the same. I think ive been diabetic for years. I cant remember ever being this ..'healthy'

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know right, my energy levels are up, and I have dropped almost 3 stones.

Reactions: 2 people

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done :) I have a friend who has completely reversed her type 2. I dont know if ill ever get there, but.. aim high.

Reactions: 5 people

BevW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From what my Dr said the metformin helps get rid of the extra sugar in your body but won't bring down your bs levels.
I was on 1000 a day but been on 1500 since Jan and feel so much better, sleeping better too. Lost almost 4 stone, I love the new figure, pity it took being diabetic to get it though .
Well done on the weight loss and feeling fitter!

Reactions: 2 people