Semi new diagnosis

Desbrina

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I've been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 since christmas 2013
Have recently just been told that its actually type 1. Was previously being treated with metformin and forxiga
Had my first clinic visit on wednesday, was expecting to have to argue to keep using my meter, a contour next usb. I'd gone and got it myself and had been paying for lancets & strips myself, just to see what effects meals had on my sugar levels

Turns out, the clinic are very helpful, will prescribe the lancets & strips for my meter, and will prescribe for a second meter for ketones. Told me to cut out carbs. Told me to stop with the forxiga as its not doing anything
Have been told to start straight away on novorapid at each meal while i wait for the hospital to get lantus in stock
Nurse gave me her phone number and email and told me to contact her at any time if i need to

Totally surprised me, and i'm feeling better since starting insulin, though i hate injecting, i hate needles

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you have had really good support. Are you using the smallest 4mm needles? Unless you have excess weight these are the kindest.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Really good support from your diabetes team, surprised they didn't just give you a prescription for the lantus if the hospital didn't have it in stock.

Desbrina

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the 5mm needles that I'm using.

Hospital told me Friday as they shut that it's now in stock. Means I have to wait till Monday to get it. Doesn't really matter as I don't know what does I'm supposed to be using. Supposed to be seeing the nurse on Wednesday for it

Reactions: 2 people

Sorted007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Correction according to the insujet website you can get it on the NHS funny how the doctors and nurses don't tell you this

Desbrina

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Saw that. In going to talk to my nurse about it when I see her on wednesday

Sorted007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
lol I asked my nurse about it she looked at me like Id been smoking drugs she even was thinking I was talking about a test meter !!!!!!!! Good luck explaining what your after and let me know if you manage to get it maybe print some pages off about insujet and take with you

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I spoke to my dsn at the diabetic clinic about it. They stopped providing it due to inconsistent delivery and bruising of injection sites.

Sorted007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
More like its five times more expensive than the novo pens I bet pound for pound it's cheaper in the long run as you would not need to be supplied with needles but I do understand some people bruise easily