Fasting before HbA1c test

Tootse

Hi, I am going for a HbA1c test Monday afternoon, so I cannot eat beforehand. I read that I can drink water, if so, how much?

Previous fasting I limited myself to very small sips in the night (suffer from very dry mouth at night) and water to take.my morning medication.

Is there a limit to my water intake or can I actually drink litres if I so wished before the test?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You shouldn't need to fast before an HbA1c test as it's an indication of your average glucose levels over the past 3 months and so any last minute fasting won't have any impact on the results... But maybe you're having another (fasting) test as well if you've been told to do so? However if this is the case, you should be OK anyway as there's nothing really in the water that could affect your glucose levels. As far as I'm aware the only time you may have to restrict water intake to small sips is before a general anaesthetic.

Robbity

Tootse

Thanks for that. It will drink water then.

I have always been told by my doctor that I mustn't eat anything at least 12 hours before a test. The nurse asks whether I have eaten on drank anything but water before taking the test.

On my Pathology request form it says

'Fasting Instructions
You may be required to fast before having a blood test. This is because certain test values change following the ingestion of food. The measurement of blood sugar (glucose) and some blood lipids (fats and cholesterol) are common examples'

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya,

I would ring up and check as usually if you are having a fasting test - they would give you an appointment in the morning. Mostly for the test you are going for it would be non-fasting.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
You shouldn't need to fast for an HbA1c as already said, but if you are having a full lipid profile as well you need to fast for triglycerides.

I tend to fast for all my tests anyway, it does no harm especially if your blood is taken early in the morning.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, even though fasting (or not) isn't relevant for an hba1c, I always try for a morning appt and fast from the night before - because I always try and persuade the nurse to do a fasting cholesterol test at the same time.

Doesn't always work though. ;)