Type 2 Managing T2 without medication

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Having a disease isn't easy.
This is a disease that can have us feeling ill feeling confused and foggy headed have us being rushed into hospital on hypers having us crashing our cars on hypo's having us losing toes feet legs having us becoming more and more overweight and putting pressure on our hearts etc etc.
Nope it isn't easy but it can become easier and even not much bother but the effort has to be put in.
Once the effort has been put in the changes start happening and less and less effort is needed.
If you're T2 diet is where the effort is needed.
It's all we have really.
It's probably what got most of us here too.

Reactions: 2 people

Protea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
High carb food. Processed food. Any cold drinks.
Pleased to meet you. Did you meet Prof. Noakes in Cape Town? I guess you went to UCT. Where our children
studied. I am o the high veldt. Tomatoes are in general low gi and are not ever really sweet. Bye for now, a braai
awaits.

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lived in RSA for 10 years been back in the UK for 24 years and still miss the life and people in South Africa
Totsiens mooi loop
Jan

Protea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Having a disease isn't easy.
This is a disease that can have us feeling ill feeling confused and foggy headed have us being rushed into hospital on hypers having us crashing our cars on hypo's having us losing toes feet legs having us becoming more and more overweight and putting pressure on our hearts etc etc.
Nope it isn't easy but it can become easier and even not much bother but the effort has to be put in.
Once the effort has been put in the changes start happening and less and less effort is needed.
If you're T2 diet is where the effort is needed.
It's all we have really.
It's probably what got most of us here too.

I,m fortunate. Low weight at diagnosis T2. Still low weight. Never been to hospital. Never on medication so hypo not possible. Try to keep to a low carbo diet and eat a lot of fat with moderate protein. Favorite veg/berry is tomato. Eat lots - self sets from garden, heritage from garden and Roma from store fresh or cans. Typical breakfast is egg and bacon and a bowl of Greek style full fat yoghurt. Could be T2 was caused by septicemia which did land me in hospital!! Decided some time ago that HCLF was not for me and changed to HFLC. Burnstein, Atkins and Noake. Keep up the effort with the T2 diet and may the Force be with you !!!

Protea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Lived in RSA for 10 years been back in the UK for 24 years and still miss the life and people in South Africa
Totsiens mooi loop
Jan

Have lived iin RSA since 1966. Previously in Belfast via Isle of Wight via Worcestershire. Children born here. Now one still nearby and one in Wales. Occasional visits to Wales KLM to Amsterdam then Citi Hopper to Cardiff. RSA still great except for an odd government and a VERY low value to the Rand.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I,m fortunate. Low weight at diagnosis T2. Still low weight. Never been to hospital. Never on medication so hypo not possible. Try to keep to a low carbo diet and eat a lot of fat with moderate protein. Favorite veg/berry is tomato. Eat lots - self sets from garden, heritage from garden and Roma from store fresh or cans. Typical breakfast is egg and bacon and a bowl of Greek style full fat yoghurt. Could be T2 was caused by septicemia which did land me in hospital!! Decided some time ago that HCLF was not for me and changed to HFLC. Burnstein, Atkins and Noake. Keep up the effort with the T2 diet and may the Force be with you !!!
Sounding good but but but ... anyone can have a hypo nothing to do with medication.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pleased to meet you. Did you meet Prof. Noakes in Cape Town? I guess you went to UCT. Where our children studied. I am o the high veldt. Tomatoes are in general low gi and are not ever really sweet. Bye for now, a braai
awaits.
I declare false pretences and bow out. We had a fantastic holiday in Cape Town and a few other places on a sort of fauna-and-flora tour. But between holidays we are stay-at-home Brits. I had to look up braai :(
But I do love tomatoes, which I grow in a greenhouse.

Protea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Been unresponsive lately. Wife fell damaging face and ribs. Face nearly OK and ribs a lot better. We are also stay at home at the moment. Easter for us definitely at home. Too much traffic on the roads. May think of Dullstroom area soon. Lots of tomatoes in the garden. Self set from the compost heap and a few heritage tomatoes. Winter is on the way but should not have frost until late May. Temperature is between 14 minimum and 26 maximum. We like fish and sea food and lamb in particular. Beef not so much but got a bargain on fillet at R100 a Kg. In pounds that is about 5.50.
Keep up with the healthy eating. Don't lose too much weight.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Best wishes to your wife for a speedy full recovery.